SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

5 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

And also desperately trying to do this:

Related image

4 minutes ago, Tlfj200 said:

The most interesting part was going from hating vultures to loving fat turrets.

Weirdest flex of the the thread.

To be clear, I've always been relatively ambivalent about vultures and have always loved one particular fat turret.  I'm a skipping record which was trying to turn myself off or at least lower my own volume.  They made me do this.

18 minutes ago, Tlfj200 said:

Undercosted Aces Timeline followed by Fat Turret discussion is a very normal loop. Has occurred 50+ times in the previous 1200 pages and 1 Million views. 

I think we are all aware of how dangerously close to busted Rey currently is, just useful/semi entertaining to discuss what makes it work. 
Rey still seems like the closest to an interesting Fat Turret that exists in the game always walking that line of being absurdly over powered.
Was true in 1.0 to. 

The thing I like best about 2.0 Rey besides the incentive to keep things in the forward arc is that the boost and the rotate are Red actions.
I wonder if there is a points timeline where Fat Turrets could be relevant without essentially 360 equivalent high init White Boosts and Rotates / free linked actions with dice mods. I bet there is. 

Edited by Boom Owl

Great insight!

I think I played rey a bit more jousty than you, especially in the early game when with good range control you can sneak some nice 1v1. Playing her with t70s also make it more naturally jousty (although that's mostly true for Bastian/pava, not as much for the double ps1 which are far more versatile). 

I want to point out Contraband cybernetics is good for having focus lock force after the first loop, I think I never used it to pull a loop while 3+ stressed out. 

Wingmates are a sad story thought

2 minutes ago, gennataos said:

And also desperately trying to do this:

Related image

To be clear, I've always been relatively ambivalent about vultures and have always loved one particular fat turret.  I'm a skipping record which was trying to turn myself off or at least lower my own volume.  They made me do this.

Cluster Missiles + Outmaneuver. First attack full mods and Wedging, second attack rolling fire and Wedging.

Real talk: why do pilots who want to equip Saturation Salvo the most (Kestal, clones, Punishers and K wings) not have the reload + talent combo? And why is it that the pilots that can equip Saturation Salvo (M12, Bombers, etc) instead want to stay cheap? I mean, you could slap it on Vynder, but he's already loaded with all his stuff. And barrage SLAMboats are not efficient for what you want barrage pieces to do. So it just becomes a "plz shoot at me more card" for barrage Gamma Aces to prolong Jonus' life.

Solution: give Punishers and K Wings the talent slot and drop SS to 3 pt max.

5 hours ago, Tlfj200 said:

vultures are fineTM, Rey is fun and bad fat turrets are fun because they burn down.  3-force RAC is some dank stuff, but is still bad at winning.

20 minutes ago, Do I need a Username said:

vultures are fineTM, Rey is fun and bad fat turrets are fun because they burn down.  3-force RAC is some dank stuff, but is still bad at winning.

“Bad” fat turrets are fun. I agree. 
“Bad” aces are fun to.

Edited by Boom Owl

Would it be possible to build around a Force User whose advantage is having force, but who has a disadvantage as the mandatory ability, which can be combo'd to be a situational advantage? I mean, First Edition Maul was designed to effectively be that, but the combo the "bad side" of his ability offered was blatantly and nonchalantly disregarding the game no thanks to Ezra. It was cool to get more Latts Razzi on the board as a result of him, but sawed in half and rarely seen is the way we like to see him.

Ultimately, I'm trying to make some homebrews that feel "Scummy Combo-Wing Shenanigans", but I want the game to feel most certainly 2nd ed. and about positioning. I'm toying with the following ideas:A ship with a pilot ability that reads: [1 recurring charge] "At the start of the engagement phase, if you are stressed, you may spend 1 *charge*. If you do, all enemy ships at range 0-1 with *calculate* token 

are assigned 2 jam tokens. Then, you may receive 1 ion token to assign 2 ion tokens to an enemy ship at range 0-1."

That ship has a crew slot, primarily so that one may equip the following crew: [adds 1 force] "At the end of the activation phase, if you are within an enemy ship's *forward arc*, you must receive 1 stress token or assign an enemy ship that has you in its *forward  arc* 1 *focus* token."

Basically, this obvious homebrew really hates droids, from threatening swarms of the CIS to IG assassin droids looking at things funny. Taking the force user has its advantages, but it also bears its stress--quite literally--in making you feel vulnerable for even being seen with it. However, this force user procs the ability harder, especially against droids, to jam linked networks and shared calculations, and even stopping a brobot dead (ioned brobots essentially are) in its tracks. The homebrew isn't as effective against life forms, let alone force users, but at least the ion ability allows it to have an ability of sorts to trigger, a luxury that Captain Ahab sometimes envies so.

Edit: Strikethrough turned on while posting and it's not turning off

Edit edit: fixed it

Edited by Hoarder of Garlic Bread

20 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

“Bad” aces are fun to.

Things that are below/at power curve are fun.  please gib more.

Vultures are good.  Sear Bad.

Also @Hoarder of Garlic Bread Mandatory abilities are cool, like Greedo and Bossk (gunner).  having more of them would be cool.

11 minutes ago, SabineKey said:

But not because he is bad. He can be fun because he’s closer to equilibrium.

Mostly just that when he gets blocked he is sad, he cant K-turn or Talon constantly after endless linked action combinations, and he doesn't treat rocks as eject routes. 
His most least "bad" move besides a mountain of HP allows him to act like a Gunboat and has exactly 1 charge + an ion or weapons disabled. 
Oh also BB8 Primed is borderline cool (even though pre-movement is still dumb) because it has a fixed # of nonrecoverable charges to.  

Something something real resource restrictions and consequences make things "bad" which is fun. 

Also Happy Friday! 

Edited by Boom Owl

58 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

“Bad” aces are fun to.

Get the best (worst?) of both worlds?

• Patrol Leader (Fifth Brother, Hull Upgrade) 79
  • Patrol Leader (Seventh Sister, Hull Upgrade) 79
  • Duchess (-) 42

More is more. Less is less. Twice as much is good, too. Not enough is bad, and enough is never enough unless it's just right.

14 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

Mostly just that when he gets blocked he is sad, he cant K-turn or Talon constantly after endless linked action combinations, and he doesn't treat rocks as eject routes. 
His most least "bad" move besides a mountain of HP allows him to act like a Gunboat and has exactly 1 charge + an ion or weapons disabled. 
Oh also BB8 Primed is borderline cool (even though pre-movement is still dumb) because it has a fixed # of nonrecoverable charges to.  

What you are describing sounds more balanced than “bad”. I now I harp on this, but that’s because there is a very real difference, not just in definitions, but in attitude. 

14 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

Something something real resource restrictions and consequences make things "bad" which is fun. 

I agree with what I believe you are intending to say here. Resource restrictions and consequences are good things. So why chain them to a negative term like bad, even with quotation marks? If the goal is to get Aces to a point where they are inline with the power curve, why use loaded terms that cast a poor light on the end result?

21 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

Also Happy Friday! 

Happy Friday!

7 hours ago, Tlfj200 said:

I left the thread for seven hours.... and I have an actual job that I sometimes tend too. 

That said, this thread went from bashing swarms, fragile aces to literally pumping fat turrets. I agree @Tlfj200, this is simply a weird tilt to the weeks end. Happy Friday all.

...now where's my pint?

29 minutes ago, SabineKey said:

So why chain them to a negative term like bad, even with quotation marks? If the goal is to get Aces to a point where they are inline with the power curve, why use loaded terms that cast a poor light on the end result?

Because that makes them worse than without those restrictions. I.e., bad compared to the current (and more so 1.0) version.

It's the realization that we as players should want them to be bad. Being bad makes the game good. Hence quotation marks.