SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

1 minute ago, Boom Owl said:

Vonreg will probably change all that and just make it Empire/Republic 2.5.  

Even if the TIE Whisper gets an I6 with 3 force, I'm staying to the Silencer as the dedicated fighter of the faction. Autothrusters and all that customizability are too good. So for me, Vonreg and the gang will be a fun thing to mess around with, perchance in a 4-ship 3I6 + 1I7 list for the lols, but mainly as wingmates for Kylo or Blackout.

To avoid a double post: I have rationalized the costing of the Jim analyst for the Silencer as a T65 with better actions and a bonus agility for 9 pt. After seeing that Quickdraw + Scorch + 2 Jims list for round 1 of PAX, I decided to give it a go this weekend. The I1 Silencer is hard to fly, which came as a shock considering how straightforward Blue Rookies are to fly. And it's not merely about moving first, as the I3 and I4 Silencers move first, but have tricks and Fanatical to help a lot with their decisions. If you're rolling sub-average greens, it becomes really difficult to determine when it is best to spend the focus, especially when you have a killbox set up yet crits incoming. Setting up a killbox is all fine and good, getting blocks are all fine and good, but knowing how to dodge one arc whilst setting up a block yet retaining that important 3 die attack on another target requires a lot of practice and not the 2 games I just threw in for the heck of it. SO here's my sith take of the day:

The Silencer difficulty order (from greatest to least) in general is: Jim, FOTP, Recoil, Blackout, Avenger, Kylo

1 minute ago, Makaze said:

This is the 2nd Star Wars/Potter reference I've read in as many days. The other being if Kylo follows a redemption arc in a few days then he'll basically just be diet Snape

I have been referring to Force Users as Wizards and non-force pilots as Muggles for some time (mainly because I like @Pa Weasley's handle). Ironically enough, there's a bat-sith theory that says that Kylo is pulling a Snape so as to uncover and track down Palp, which makes 0 sense if you think about it for 1 minute.

On 12/8/2019 at 10:04 PM, Kieransi said:

ok now I'm actually mad

it's literally a B-17 flying fortress in space

how dare you

Except it’s not, the only thing the actual B-17 and the flying T-pose share is a name. 

Ive seen K-wings painted like B-17s and I much prefer that aesthetic.

I miss wings of war. 

3 hours ago, gennataos said:
  • Empire: I'd like the see Empire get gently nuked from orbit.  They've been good in some for or another, in multiple archetypes, since the launch of 2.0.  They can go ahead and take a break for a while.  If not, ace plus fodder squad would be a nice default instead of triple aces.

I'm happy to see some churn on what's good for Imperials for a change. Considering the movie depictions are always faceless swarms or bad guy + swarm, it's weird that the faction identity has consistently been Aces combined with more Aces. The last points update was trying to push us towards support crew, which is still an under-represented faction theme, but I think that flopped (aside from Jendon-based builds) because the support platforms take up a bigger portion of your points and the generic swarms aren't as efficient in the Imperial faction as you get elsewhere. I'd like to see a price increase on aces and a discount on generics, particularly the mid-tier. Some of the weird support crew can probably come down too (I want to see more Jerjerrod, not more Sloane)

3 hours ago, gennataos said:
  • Separatist: Swarms should continue to be good, but not as good as they've been.  From a thematic/fandom standpoint, I don't understand why people want to play this faction.  I can kind of understand Grievous a little, he's kind of badass sometimes.  But Dooku is a straight wuss.  He bails at the first sign of trouble.  

I enjoy them because they are weird and dumb. I don't care about Maul/Dooku but I like the overall scumminess of the faction and making weird trashy stuff work. Discord missiles are a great example of what I like - they are thematic, require good planning/execution and if you're not careful when playing against them you can get wrecked.

47 minutes ago, Transmogrifier said:

I'm happy to see some churn on what's good for Imperials for a change. Considering the movie depictions are always faceless swarms or bad guy + swarm, it's weird that the faction identity has consistently been Aces combined with more Aces. The last points update was trying to push us towards support crew, which is still an under-represented faction theme, but I think that flopped (aside from Jendon-based builds) because the support platforms take up a bigger portion of your points and the generic swarms aren't as efficient in the Imperial faction as you get elsewhere. I'd like to see a price increase on aces and a discount on generics, particularly the mid-tier. Some of the weird support crew can probably come down too (I want to see more Jerjerrod, not more Sloane)

I enjoy them because they are weird and dumb. I don't care about Maul/Dooku but I like the overall scumminess of the faction and making weird trashy stuff work. Discord missiles are a great example of what I like - they are thematic, require good planning/execution and if you're not careful when playing against them you can get wrecked.

Bring back the TIE Bomber Shuttle!  I'd love to see super cheap weirdo Imperial Support Crew.  

6 minutes ago, Biophysical said:

Bring back the TIE Bomber Shuttle!  I'd love to see super cheap weirdo Imperial Support Crew.  

Proton Rocket Vonreg
Proton Rocket Quickdraw
Kylo Crew FO Tie Bomber 

Back to where I started 1.0. 

Edited by Boom Owl

5 hours ago, gennataos said:
  • Separatist: Swarms should continue to be good, but not as good as they've been.  From a thematic/fandom standpoint, I don't understand why people want to play this faction.  I can kind of understand Grievous a little, he's kind of badass sometimes.  But Dooku is a straight wuss.  He bails at the first sign of trouble.  

To me, the appeal of playing Grievous is you get to play like a coward.  I'll hunch over and cough and run away.

46 minutes ago, jagsba said:

Wait. Isn't grievous the one famous for bailing?

This.

Edited by theBitterFig

48 minutes ago, Biophysical said:

IMHO, hopefully not as a title.

TIE Shuttle is a perfect candidate for a new ship in a cardboard-only expansion like the upcoming pilots pack.  A generic and one or two named pilots, with a different ship ability and a different set of slots.  While it'd be possible to do a title, that means you've now got to balance the pilot abilities, which is a bother.  Better to take a lead from how the Hyena has been done with the radically different slots.

25 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

IMHO, hopefully not as a title.

TIE Shuttle is a perfect candidate for a new ship in a cardboard-only expansion like the upcoming pilots pack.  A generic and one or two named pilots, with a different ship ability and a different set of slots.  While it'd be possible to do a title, that means you've now got to balance the pilot abilities, which is a bother.  Better to take a lead from how the Hyena has been done with the radically different slots.

I would be happier with a separate release too. New sculpt could have the reverse swept wings and the weird different pod, and it could have a different dial and actions and stuff. 

13 minutes ago, Transmogrifier said:

Design ideas:
same statline/dial as a TIE Bomber, swap red Reload to red Coordinate
slots: crew, modification
ship ability: you may not equip crew upgrades that cost more than 8 points

Yeah, that would be pretty cool.  Red coordinate might make it too much of just an ace support platform, but maybe that's still okay, as you wouldn't get a 3rd big ace.

11 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

What is it with vultures? What changed? Not long ago they were laughed at and deemed too expensive. The only thing that changed is the Nantex.

If they are too good now then they were already fine or good when wave 3 dropped, or at least after last points change.

Vultures, Struts and Discord Missiles all dropped in price in July and they won the Australian Systems Open. The latter would put just about any list on people's radar.

Edited by Hiemfire

52 minutes ago, Transmogrifier said:

Design ideas:
same statline/dial as a TIE Bomber, swap red Reload to red Coordinate
slots: crew, modification
ship ability: you may not equip crew upgrades that cost more than 8 points

All of this plus switch the barrel roll for a boost.

Also, would this be the first "negative" ship ability?  I like it, but don't know a better word than negative, sorry.

1 minute ago, Hiemfire said:

Vultures, Struts and Discord Missiles all dropped in price in July and they won the Australian Systems Open. The latter would put just about any list on people's radar.

Were they prohibitively expensive? I don't remember the points.

That means the "nerf vultures" crowd is now wrong, or the "vultures are too expensive" crowd before July was wrong? Unless of course one would argue that the perfect middle between now and before July is idea.

12 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

What is it with vultures? What changed? Not long ago they were laughed at and deemed too expensive. The only thing that changed is the Nantex.

sear + 7 was 30-35 points more expensive, and TA175 didnt exist, until july

it took a little while for the lists to get figured out but not more than like, a month?   

6 hours ago, Boom Owl said:

Jan Point Cost Check #1 ( Currently 181 pts total ) 

Jan Point Cost Check #2 ( Currently 178 pts total ) 

Jan Point Cost Check #3 ( Currently 183 pts total ) 

waiting to see other people's pegs, commit you cowards