SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

11 hours ago, Boom Owl said:

New Page. New Ship. 
rebel-sabine-tie-600px.gif
Is this bad? 

1 hour ago, Ablazoned said:

Sabine has supernatural as a pilot ability, do there's some price point where she's a great blocker against high init and a great arc dodger against lower init.  Then, she gets to hit you with a 2 dice attack.  Yay?

But what if she could shoot you twice....

fed45c0416dfd298d9433c4608e99b7e.png

21 minutes ago, FlyingAnchors said:

I disagree. Sounds fine for a narrative campaign or epic scenario, but I would rather let people have the freedom to choose their own list, especially when it comes to generics in a competitive setting. You want to spam 6 Y? Be my guest. 

I think it just means it's harder to points balance

10 minutes ago, LagJanson said:

Actually... the problem may be reversed here... Like, the 200 point scene might be where we don't want to see three VCX 100s, but in an epic game with 500 points or whatever that limitation might make less sense.

I agree with this.

On both versions of Sabine, I’ve enjoyed Composure. It’s not as affective as putting it on Snap, but it provides some nice options. TIE Sabine with Composure is 31 points and a nice little flanker. Though, for the price, you’re probably better off with Crack Blount.

6 minutes ago, ConspiracyTheorist said:

Anyone else wish there was an option on Disney+ "I only want the Mandalorian. I don't have kids. All the rest of this crap is useless."? Pay per episode like iTunes does with music. That would be nice.

I got Disney+ specifically to re-watch Gargoyles. 

3 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

I got Disney+ specifically to re-watch Gargoyles. 

There's a fair bit of nostalgia in that big long list of movies they have, but nostalgia can only go so far, and more often than not my nostalgia remembers things much better than they actually were.

I've been trying to find the rules insert that comes with the epic stuff to see if the new xwing tool is an optional/essential component (so that we know whether it's legal to use during regular game setup).

Anyone know where it is, or the answer off the top of their head?

1 hour ago, Brunas said:

I've been trying to find the rules insert that comes with the epic stuff to see if the new xwing tool is an optional/essential component (so that we know whether it's legal to use during regular game setup).

And does it provide enough clearance for banks without bumping?

1 hour ago, Brunas said:

I know we talked elsewhere, but did you ever confirm if the nothing beyond range 1 stipulation made it over from 1e?

21 minutes ago, catachanninja said:

I know we talked elsewhere, but did you ever confirm if the nothing beyond range 1 stipulation made it over from 1e?

It's in the tournament rules, under legal products because... reasons? I don't know.

Custom “setup” templates designed to aid players in ship deployment and other custom-made tools are not allowed. 
Players can use only their range rulers and maneuver templates within range 1 of that player’s edge to help them set up formations during deployment

Edited by Brunas

Meant to post this earlier regarding generic Bs vs 65 performance, since I suspect they also tend to show up in the same list a lot:

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/a/autocorrelation.asp (the wiki is harder to follow).

Basically, they're inter-correlated.

Edited by Tlfj200

2 hours ago, Tlfj200 said:

Meant to post this earlier regarding generic Bs vs 65 performance, since I suspect they also tend to show up in the same list a lot:

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/a/autocorrelation.asp (the wiki is harder to follow).

Basically, they're inter-correlated.

I'll correlate your inters

16 hours ago, LagJanson said:

Actually... the problem may be reversed here... Like, the 200 point scene might be where we don't want to see three VCX 100s, but in an epic game with 500 points or whatever that limitation might make less sense.

It still doesn’t make sense for a 200 point game. Let people fly what they want.

While it works okay for Seps, I still don’t think there’s any benefit making it universal. I find Trip ups to be a relevant example that there are more ways than arbitrary polka dots to balance a spammable problem ship.

6 hours ago, FlyingAnchors said:

It still doesn’t make sense for a 200 point game. Let people fly what they want.

While it works okay for Seps, I still don’t think there’s any benefit making it universal. I find Trip ups to be a relevant example that there are more ways than arbitrary polka dots to balance a spammable problem ship.

Let's look at 2 examples- first up:

The TIE Striker Generics. These ships are comically worse than the named ones, and not worth anywhere near their listed cost of 34 and 38 (jesus christ 38 for a +1 Red Z95)

Looking at the few usable generics, the Sentinel is worth 28-31, and the Scout is worth 32-34

But 6 Crack Scouts or 7 Sentinel is both incredibly slow to play, and packs so much firepower that vs. New (or bad, whatever) players, their **** will get slapped faster than they can blink. Making the Striker chassis Limited 5 would allow for reasonable limits on this kind of ship- Allowing for them to be something more than a giant waste of points.

Another example is the Generic VCX. Hera costs just 5 more than a Lothal- Why would you ever take a lothal? Lothals are 68 because 3x VCX chassis in a list would obtain almost all of its wins by Running in, trading shots, and then bailing with whatever gets focus fired on, inevitably winning on time. It's different than a squad of 3x SKB because the SKB cannot turn: dormitz enabled that list, allowing you to deploy in their face and alpha them.

6 hours ago, FlyingAnchors said:

So, to continue with my example with the VCX, the problem is that the generic VCX costs too much, possibly to prevent spamming. This means the ship will not be used in a competitive format (at any point total.) However, if you prevent spamming by putting two dots, the ship cost can come down to where it's actually balanced and people could take one or two in a list. Ship limits allows for spammable ships to be priced correctly without limiting them through inflated prices.

Yes, I get what you're saying about letting people use what they want... I don't think anybody has claimed it should be a universal thing to limit all ships with dots. Some ships absolutely make zero sense to limit in this way. Others that are more rare absolutely make sense. It's a neat balancing mechanic that can be used for thematic reasons as well.

1 minute ago, LagJanson said:

Ship limits allows for spammable ships to be priced correctly without limiting them through inflated prices.

11 minutes ago, Kaptin Krunch said:

But 6 Crack Scouts or 7 Sentinel is both incredibly slow to play, and packs so much firepower that vs. New (or bad, whatever) players, their **** will get slapped faster than they can blink. Making the Striker chassis Limited 5 would allow for reasonable limits on this kind of ship- Allowing for them to be something more than a giant waste of points.

Just now, Tlfj200 said:

Hi generic defenders!

the counterpoint here is that if, eg, Sentinel Strikers and Alpha Interceptors are both 28pt limited-5 ships, or the Outer Rim Smuggler and Lothal Rebel are both 66pt limited-2 ships, the health/firepower/ship count of the squad isn't actually constrained by the ship limit at all

(that can be addressed by more aggressive limits - eg limited 2 on strikers/interceptors, limited 1 on lothal rebel / delta defender - but then that does grate even harder the "let people play want they want" camp, because squads like soontir + 4 strikers, or 2x defender palp, or whatever, become rendered illegal by fiat)

1 minute ago, svelok said:

the counterpoint here is that if, eg, Sentinel Strikers and Alpha Interceptors are both 28pt limited-5 ships, or the Outer Rim Smuggler and Lothal Rebel are both 66pt limited-2 ships, the health/firepower/ship count of the squad isn't actually constrained by the ship limit at all

(that can be addressed by more aggressive limits - eg limited 2 on strikers/interceptors, limited 1 on lothal rebel / delta defender - but then that does grate even harder the "let people play want they want" camp, because squads like soontir + 4 strikers, or 2x defender palp, or whatever, become rendered illegal by fiat)

The secret is everything is an illusion of choice (or a constraint of choices). They already don't allow certain things now, and never will. 

Like, the example above is generic VCXs are likely overpriced because of the lower bound on prices because FFG does not want them spammed (lEt mE pLaY wHaT i wAnT). Generic strikers are likely overpriced for the same reason (lEt mE pLaY wHaT i wAnT).

dots just remove the illusion of choice. Hyperspace removes the illusions of choice.

However, focusing on what is "lost" is a weird, because those constraints now change the way we all play the game in potentially really interesting ways. We all acknowledge that hyperspace was actually probably better before they added more ships in. Technically more choice, but now it feels like gimped extended rather than a neat, unique format.