SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

Wow, I not only find out how to change my callsign from a serial number, but the best database for the game comes out? A good day indeed!

Ah dang, looks like I've dragged the value of Supernat down. Well, *proceeds to fail cut with it again, unless that tourney with a cut is a glorified store tourney.*

34 minutes ago, FlyingAnchors said:

Actually the correct response is “roll one less defense die”.

Actually, the correct response is "fly the Ghost or Deci and face that slippery little hotshot with the only true solutions: more lasers and more hull"

So I just watched people on Reddit argue about draws and final salvos and the usuals, and it got me thinking. Why aren't we multiplying Mov with SoS as the tiebreaker for placement?

Wouldn't that solve stuff like submarining and the other things people complain about regarding MoV. 

4 hours ago, Flurpy said:

So I just watched people on Reddit argue about draws and final salvos and the usuals, and it got me thinking. Why aren't we multiplying Mov with SoS as the tiebreaker for placement?

Wouldn't that solve stuff like submarining and the other things people complain about regarding MoV. 

I think at this point the big complaint about MoV is that sometimes one or two people with a win record make a cut and the rest don’t. It’s more of a complaint about power of two cuts with tiebreakers, and the bigger tournaments are moving to a record makes cut with play-in game.

If you think it’ll work, try it out! Use list fortress and see how much it shuffles around the final standings in any tournament. I’m curious, but not curious enough to do it myself. 

35 minutes ago, AEIllingworth said:

I think at this point the big complaint about MoV is that sometimes one or two people with a win record make a cut and the rest don’t. It’s more of a complaint about power of two cuts with tiebreakers, and the bigger tournaments are moving to a record makes cut with play-in game.

If you think it’ll work, try it out! Use list fortress and see how much it shuffles around the final standings in any tournament. I’m curious, but not curious enough to do it myself. 

I still think the graduation cut (all x-1s/x-2s make it) is just a better feelsgood than any modification of MOV or strength of schedule.

30 minutes ago, Tlfj200 said:

I still think the graduation cut (all x-1s/x-2s make it) is just a better feelsgood than any modification of MOV or strength of schedule.

I really really agree.

I think there might be some kind of exceptions in the small tournaments, maybe a cut to four sized event? Clean record breaks feel the best, but can make for awkward byes and play in games in a four round cut to four sized event (like some of the regionals probably were).

edit: I mostly think this internet arguing about tournament regulations boils down to people that play in 6-20 person events and people that regularly go to 80+ person events just completely not understanding each other’s starting points. 

Edited by AEIllingworth

1 minute ago, AEIllingworth said:

I really really agree.

I think there might be some kind of exceptions in the small tournaments, maybe a cut to four sized event? Clean record breaks feel the best, but can make for awkward byes and play in games in a four round cut to four sized event (like some of the regionals probably were).

Oh, I definitely agree it's not universal - sorry if I made it seem that way. The smaller the tournament, the less useful the graduation cut is. It seems it's always most useful the larger the event becomes.

Edited by Tlfj200

1 hour ago, Tlfj200 said:

I kind of loathe the x-1 cuts, x-2 feels a lot better.  I'd rather see x-2 with wonky play-in games for the cut than just about anything.

37 minutes ago, skotothalamos said:

CgWdkfIW8AA4BY1?format=jpg&name=medium

Fewer is a forgotten word, my friend. 

Indeed, less of the population remember it exists because fewer people actually bother to use it. In this vicious cycle, the result is less overall usage with fewer instances of its use. 

X-Wing is pretty fun right now. 
I think its primarily because of Faction Prizes and players maintaining self imposed list restrictions even at the tournament level. 

Semi Random/Related Tuesday Questions: 

• What Ships/Upgrades/Mechanics Do You Use Because You Find Them Interesting?
  • What Ships/Upgrades/Mechanics Do You Use Because You Have To Keep Up With General Power Level?
  • What Ships/Upgrades/Mechanics Do You Use Less Regardless of Power Level Because You Dont Enjoy It?

5 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

I think its primarily because of Faction Prizes and players maintaining self imposed list restrictions even at the tournament level. 

Roger Roger, Zeds

• What Ships/Upgrades/Mechanics Do You Use Because You Have To Keep Up With General Power Level?

Missiles on my rogers, Cassian crew

• What Ships/Upgrades/Mechanics Do You Use Less Regardless of Power Level Because You Dont Enjoy It?

Nantexans. Force users (Except luke, he cool)

25 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

What Ships/Upgrades/Mechanics Do You Use Because You Find Them Interesting?

190eb60051.png

26 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

What Ships/Upgrades/Mechanics Do You Use Because You Have To Keep Up With General Power Level?

49e1276262.png

26 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

What Ships/Upgrades/Mechanics Do You Use Less Regardless of Power Level Because You Dont Enjoy It?

770aeceda5.png

39 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

I find TIE Silencers interesting mechanically. not sure why, they seem pretty vanilla, but they are too expensive to joust and win so you kinda have to think about your engagements beforehand. action choices also feel relevant because you need actions to add punch. Advanced Optics makes this less of a difficult process but missiles add the difficulty back in. 

on the flipside, I use Kylo because I need to. non-Kylo silencers are really bad by comparison.

I guess managing the charges is semi-interesting but ultimately, I find force boring so I don't really like Kylo. but that's how it is - the game is based on the movies, and Kylo is the only Silencer pilot therein, so I can't expect the more fun silencers to be competitively viable. 

58 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

I  agree and really, really hope this continues.

59 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

What Ships/Upgrades/Mechanics Do You Use Because You Find Them Interesting?

Snap Wexley because he might be the best T-70.  Poe because Poe.  BB-8 because BB-8.  Primed Thrusters because they leave your dial open and can make movie scenes happen.  RZ-2 A-Wings because they're a ton of fun and "easy".  Rey because I think she's now A-Tier, but with a low fault tolerance (not same as skill floor, cuz sloops are "easy").

1 hour ago, Boom Owl said:

What Ships/Upgrades/Mechanics Do You Use Less Regardless of Power Level Because You Dont Enjoy It?

Just about anything which equates to a jousting squad.  🤮

3 minutes ago, gennataos said:

Snap Wexley because he might be the best T-70.  Poe because Poe.  BB-8 because BB-8.  Primed Thrusters because they leave your dial open and can make movie scenes happen.  RZ-2 A-Wings because they're a ton of fun and "easy".  Rey because I think she's now A-Tier, but with a low fault tolerance (not same as skill floor, cuz sloops are "easy").

No love for Nien Nunb...sad 

1 hour ago, Boom Owl said:

A: The usual. Except now in the "off-season" of competitive X-Wing, I'm also toying with Rex + 4 TIEs. By no means the best Rex list but it adds a very different dynamic to most Rex lists.

B: Variance Mitigation. Coordinate/Supernat + Autothrusters because green dice are magical free shields for opponents but I refuse to roll them as much as possible because that I know that ain't how they work. By the same principle, Serrisu sometimes follows Fenn, such that a way-too often 4 dice blankout with Elusive + Concord + Serrisu will still pull me out of 3 hits. The only Firespray that exists is Boba, as the others are good, but are more difficult to use aggressively whilst making good trades. Reinforce on Imperial and First Order shuttles take a lot of the tension from key decisions and just allow for some good old area denial.

Force/Fanatical + Optics because single mods don't cut it for long-term plans and even lock + force isn't consistent enough for me. Empire and Scum aren't privy to the miracle of the tech slot, so when I'm flying them, so when I missile spam on the cheap 2 die gun ships, it's always homing. Same cost as cluster to make your "concussion missile" shot auto-hit, which significantly stacks in a Z 95 mini-swarm? Oh yes, please! (I don't care about only 2 charges instead of 3, because if the cheap filler lives past the 2 charges, I'm ecstatic).

C : A lot of Republic stuff. I mean, they're an awesome faction and I fly some casual with them (Ahsoka gunner is under-the-radar good for an area-denial Passive Sensor Torpedo Bravo friend [read the exact text of Passive Sensors and Ahsoka to see how you too can exploit the game's wording!], especially when Obi-Wan is involved! Also, she has great synergy with Oddball in the V-19 with any sort of "real" missile, and that value will only jump with the release of Mag-Pulse. She doesn't really work as well as Chopper/Debris Gambit does for ARC or Y Wing Oddball), but they're everywhere, even at kit tourneys. I'm not a fan of mirror-matches, and even though my Republic list-building is more orientated towards fun than high-tier list building, it still ends up with many pieces or very, very similar pieces in in-faction matches. Once the depth-chart extends to the length of the legacy factions or the player base has the same fraction of FO, I'll fly them more, but one of the coolest things about the game is its diversity in ships and factions, and I try to promote that.

Mostly, I'm waiting to see how Targeting Sync Null with Heightened Perception + Advanced Optics + Mag Pulse Kylo works out. Probably not as good as Passive Sensor + Mag Pulse Vader, who happens to be a fraction of the price (unless the missiles are variable-costed?) and very rarely would ever wish he had Heightened Perception. A Heightened Perception Mag Pulse Inky (with Jendon), could be some cool spice.

Edited by Hoarder of Garlic Bread

20 minutes ago, gennataos said:

I  agree and really, really hope this continues.

Just about anything which equates to a jousting squad.  🤮

What have you been running on Rey lately, if you don’t mind me asking?