SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

@Biophysical Your article reminds me of Yuri Orlov's (Lord of War) two great tragedies in life and how it relates to ships and pilots transitioning to 2.0.  "There are two great tragedies in life, not getting what you want (Jax, stresshog) and getting in (defenders). I'm not sure if there's a word for having the same feeling as you while experiencing something totally different, but i'm doing that.  

23 hours ago, Tlfj200 said:

It's worth noting that basically half of all sep lists in the cut had a nantex. Even sear swarms brought chertek in many cases...

Just noting, since CIS had an outlier conversion rate.

But Fac + 5 (the forecasted boogeyman) fell really flat. Or maybe...I'm a better player than Tyler Tippett and @Makaze because I did 1 game better than them? Yes, ignore the fact that they were flying Fac + 5 and face some hard counters! This is surely how the game works!

14 minutes ago, player3010587 said:

But Fac + 5 (the forecasted boogeyman) fell really flat. Or maybe...I'm a better player than Tyler Tippett and @Makaze because I did 1 game better than them? Yes, ignore the fact that they were flying Fac + 5 and face some hard counters! This is surely how the game works!

Sorry, you've got me confused with some one else, I both wasn't flying that and did worse than Tippet

Although according to official Kraytbet results I still did better than Farmer so... win?

18 minutes ago, player3010587 said:

that doesn't change the fact that half of all sep lists in the cut had a nantex, and the separatists had a much higher conversion rate than the rest of the factions.

It also may mean nothing.

6 minutes ago, Tlfj200 said:

that doesn't change the fact that half of all sep lists in the cut had a nantex, and the separatists had a much higher conversion rate than the rest of the factions.

Somewhat unrelated and my #s might be wrong/need checking but Nantex had something like a 57% win rate against small base only lists, 46% against lists containing medium or big base (used Swiss results only). Only 27 Nantex Lists total out of 416. Alot less Sun Fac + Brewer + 1 than i was expecting, I think that extra i5+ ship matters alot for end games. Chertex + Sear + Vultures seems solid to. Theres alot of architecture left to be done here, though I am hopeful players continue to simply ignore the fact that ensnare exists ( game is better in the short term that way, worse long term ). 

Edited by Boom Owl

1 minute ago, Tlfj200 said:

Also fac + 5 wasn't the foresighted Boogeyman? It was the count to 200 then get a bid list

On 10/1/2019 at 11:01 AM, Micanthropyre said:

Still calling that Sun Fac won't top 8 worlds. It's just like Handbrake Han: A tournament quality list that won't necessarily win all the things but is so aggravating to play against that it makes people want to quit. 

You should definitely have a game plan against Sun Fac, and it probably shouldn't be "I'll just dodge that matchup" but I wouldn't specifically build the list to counter him.

23 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

Somewhat unrelated and my #s might be wrong/need checking but Nantex had something like a 57% win rate against small base only lists, 46% against lists containing medium or big base (used Swiss results only). Only 27 Nantex Lists total out of 416. Alot less Sun Fac + Brewer + 1 than i was expecting, I think that extra i5+ ship matters alot for end games. Chertex + Sear + Vultures seems solid to. Theres alot of architecture left to be done here, though I am hopeful players continue to simply ignore the fact that ensnare exists ( game is better in the short term that way, worse long term ). 

CIS wad 50 or so out of over 400, so only about 12.5% of the field. Operation Duck Dodgers does still appear to be viable against CIS since Scum had a god awful CIS win rate and still got pretty far. You can't lose to a matchup you never play.

Also 27 Nantex lists out if 50 and half the CIS cut having Nantex puts the distribution about the same for Nantex and non-Nantex CIS making the cut. Not sure if it's more encouraging that CIS seem to be able to forget the Nantex exists and do about the same.

12 minutes ago, MasterShake2 said:

Not sure if it's more encouraging that CIS seem to be able to forget the Nantex exists and do about the same.

I like the fact that 7-8+ ship lists like "sear swarm" are at the top of the options for CIS. 
It feels appropriate for the faction and its performance at worlds and many previous tournaments is actually encouraging.
Its a jousty list full of low hp forward arcs that shockingly makes cuts and then struggles. Seen that story before. 
Sear Swarm might be the best possible CIS timeline.  

End of the day Ensnare is still burning casual nights and small base matchups to the ground. 
Players might be ignoring it but I sure hope FFG doesnt come January. 

1 hour ago, Micanthropyre said:

You should definitely have a game plan against Sun Fac, and it probably shouldn't be "I'll just dodge that matchup" but I wouldn't specifically build the list to counter him.

Jokes on you, my game plan was "I'll just dodge that matchup" and it worked out great

On 10/28/2019 at 8:04 AM, MasterShake2 said:
CIS should build to win the mirror i.e. don't bother with TA-175 because he does nothing against an I1 swarm.

I played against a TA-175 at Worlds and judge ruled it does work. My drone shot first and killed his drone, and he got the popcorn for his return shots. I killed two of his drones that round and all his drones were now stacked with calculates for return shots.

The judge read this part:

A ship is destroyed after it has a number of damage cards that equals or exceeds its hull value.

But missed this part:

If an effect triggers after a ship is destroyed, the effect resolves immediately before the ship is removed.

I was not a happy camper with that ruling, and barely won the game 94-93. 

Just now, wurms said:

I played against a TA-175 at Worlds and judge ruled it does work. My drone shot first and killed his drone, and he got the popcorn for his return shots. I killed two of his drones that round and all his drones were now stacked with calculates for return shots.

A ship is destroyed after it has a number of damage cards that equals or exceeds its hull value.

But missed this part:

If an effect triggers after a ship is destroyed, the effect resolves immediately before the ship is removed.

neat.

Many years ago, I was World Champion in a forgotten WotC baseball card game.

Every year after that, I had to patiently explain the very important timing difference between "on a result" and "after a result" to frustrated Magic judges stuck judging MLB Showdown Worlds.

It's always fun when the players know more than the judges and then the judges just wing it.

2 minutes ago, wurms said:

But missed this part:

giphy.gif

7 minutes ago, wurms said:

But missed this part:

you didn't escalate to the marshal? 

2 minutes ago, jagsba said:

you didn't escalate to the marshal? 

I did not. In the moment it didnt even occur to me to go to the marshall. I was just like "okay, sure, whatever." Not wanting to waste anymore time. Also, my opponent was a cool guy and we were both having fun with the match so I just accepted the judges ruling.

I never looked up the specific timing of the ruling myself, I just knew it didnt work cause my friend took TA-175 to Seattle System Open and afterward came back saying he wont ever use it again because its useless in the mirror.

4 minutes ago, wurms said:

I did not. In the moment it didnt even occur to me to go to the marshall. I was just like "okay, sure, whatever." Not wanting to waste anymore time. Also, my opponent was a cool guy and we were both having fun with the match so I just accepted the judges ruling.

I never looked up the specific timing of the ruling myself, I just knew it didnt work cause my friend took TA-175 to Seattle System Open and afterward came back saying he wont ever use it again because its useless in the mirror.

Moral of the story here is:

1. Don't be afraid to escalate, or at least ask for them to show you in the rules reference.

2. Make sure you know the rules pertinent to your list.  If you escalate to a marshal because you think a ship destroyed by console fire can't shoot, or something else in the FAQ, be ready for an unhappy marshal especially at a premier event, and especially at a top table / in cut.  (Note: This doesn't apply to not-your-list thing, no one expects you to know every rule in the game perfectly from memory, just all of the ones that apply to your list).

3. Regardless of the marshals ruling, don't get angry at them - no good will come of it, I promise - instead, just submit a rules question to the form here: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/contact/rules/ and hope FFG will clear it up for you.

7 minutes ago, Do I need a Username said:

Moral of the story here is:

1. Don't be afraid to escalate, or at least ask for them to show you in the rules reference.

2. Make sure you know the rules pertinent to your list.  If you escalate to a marshal because you think a ship destroyed by console fire can't shoot, or something else in the FAQ, be ready for an unhappy marshal especially at a premier event, and especially at a top table / in cut.  (Note: This doesn't apply to not-your-list thing, no one expects you to know every rule in the game perfectly from memory, just all of the ones that apply to your list).

3. Regardless of the marshals ruling, don't get angry at them - no good will come of it, I promise - instead, just submit a rules question to the form here: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/contact/rules/ and hope FFG will clear it up for you.

this is too reasonable for the forums.

47 minutes ago, wurms said:

Ugh, at least I'm not alone. Lots of interesting calls at worlds.

Game on stream, shot at my opponent's ship which my opponent thought was obstructed, he rolled an extra die. I said I thought it wasn't, sure enough it wasn't and he agreed. Wanted to just keep the defense roll since he got what he needed, but I mentioned it needed to be re-rolled. Called a judge over, judge said to play on. Didn't escalate to a marshal because I was told by a judge no time extensions would be given at the start of the game, we had already had 6 judge calls during this match and I was behind with time being a factor.

Felt super bad. Should I have escalated to a marshal? Yeah, probably. But a judge making a no extensions declaration from the beginning of the game got into my head and I figured it was best to try and grind out an extra round to make up for it than take a 2 minute loss of time to get a marshal over.

Oh well.