SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

1 hour ago, gennataos said:

More and less?  I won a 2020 Worlds invite at a Trial the size of a large kit tourney the same day as Worlds 2019 completed.  I feel like I'm playing with house money for the next year.  So I'm kind of more excited to play in part because I care less about my results.  

Except winning Resistance prizes.  GIVE ME MORE RESISTANCE STUFF.  

Thats awesome! I dont know why but im more hyped than usual about X-Wing after worlds. 
This is the After Worlds List Que: 

• Soontir + Howl + Iden + Black Squad + Black Squad 
  • Kylo + Scorch + Longshot + Omega + Ep 
  • Obi + Ric + Ani N1 + Torrent + Torrent
  • Luke + Wedge + Jake + Bandit + Bandit 
  • Poe + Rose + Finn + Greer + Talli 

The Ensnare/Republic Space Jam/Snapshot monster meta will most likely only get refined and more relevant from here to Jan. 
Doesn't really matter though if players just continue to ignore the fact that Wave 5 cards exist like they did at Worlds. 

37 minutes ago, drjkel said:

As much as I point out that FFG staff are not very good at writing clearly, I have to recognize that what they're aiming to do, very brief sentences explaining complex concepts, is very hard to achieve.

My job is to craft regulatory policies and regulations and getting some very clear meaning across in a way that will be read the same by every stakeholder is nearly impossible. As often as people claim that there's "only one way to parse this in English", your understanding of a sentence depends a lot on your personal experience and the connotations of words (or punctuation) may vary. As much as I :facepalm: when our regulated entities misread our rules, I have to remember that even other teams within the same regulator don't understand exactly what we meant in some instances. And we probably misunderstand what they wrote. All because we don't have the same shared history of how it came to be that any specific rule was written the way it is and what exactly it is trying to achieve.

That's not to say that I'd cut FFG a lot of slack on this, their stakes are lower and they control the whole ecosystem without outside influence actively attempting to break it; an ecosystem that is far less complex. They could do it if they wanted to.

I'm not sure they can afford to. My work involve policy analysts, lawyers, writers, and editors; none of which are paid anywhere close to what game devs at FFG are probably paid, in recognition that it's not easy work when getting it nearly perfect every time is the goal.

I still get a chuckle when reading rules from FFG or other boardgames, some of the holes you could drive a truck through!

That's a lot of typing to say "words are dumb"

I'd be way more hyped to play if I had any upcoming Extended events. Or any events in general. The meta is interesting, and we'll collectively have just enough time to break it in time for the January points change.

I'd like to throw out a grats to whoever does points though: while Wave Five gave us a lot of things that aren't particularly fun to play against, they seem to be appropriately costed so that they don't break the competitive game. Yet. But still, the Worlds meta is in general something to celebrate. 

I feel a genuine sense of release, in terms of meta.

Excited to try a lot of things and revisit older. Also pleased with how things I have been using have turned out. Seems open. 

Still grey areas but I'm enthused by it.

Honestly though, I haven't really stopped feeling like that this last year. But the sky seems a bit clearer.

15 hours ago, Cuz05 said:

I feel a genuine sense of release, in terms of meta.

Excited to try a lot of things and revisit older. Also pleased with how things I have been using have turned out. Seems open. 

Still grey areas but I'm enthused by it.

Honestly though, I haven't really stopped feeling like that this last year. But the sky seems a bit clearer.

I can see clearly now that worlds is done.... I can see all the gas clouds in my way... I can see a Nantex list across the table... it’s gonna be a bright, bright, bright bright tournament today!

2 minutes ago, Brunas said:

is the game super well balanced, or did worlds faction prizes break people being mostly rational actors

Hot take- faction prizes tricked people into being more rational actors.  Jedi are good, as are swarms and imp aces.  But!  Even in a rational meta where those things stand out, the math of large tournaments suggests that exclusively flying those things or prepping against it is wrong if the power curve is shallow enough.  And worlds results have pretty much convinced me that the curve *is* relatively shallow for most "reasonable" squads.

23 minutes ago, Brunas said:

so here's my question - is the game super well balanced, or did worlds faction prizes break people being mostly rational actors?  Or have we just not found the dominant strategy yet?

Random stuff is doing well all over the place.  I feel like I can put something reasonable on the table and, with reps and a plan, I can make a game of just about any match up.

I also think faction prizes are the best idea OP has ever had and hope it continues and extends.

22 minutes ago, Brunas said:

Or have we just not found the dominant strategy yet?

This*

I think it might take a while to get there though.

1 minute ago, PaulRuddSays said:

Additional take: with 7 factions, the speed to find the dominant strategy is slower. We only have so many architects in the world, and they can’t keep up!

At least partially for these reasons.

10 minutes ago, gennataos said:

Random stuff is doing well all over the place.  I feel like I can put something reasonable on the table and, with reps and a plan, I can make a game of just about any match up.

I currently think the above is currently true, but I think that within a couple of months it will no longer apply. 

I think some of the un/under used ships could probably come down a point or three each, but if I was FFG I'd think long and hard about raising any ship costs. The reverse I think is generally true for upgrades: I don't know many that I would want to see drop, and a couple that we could consider raising. FFG is kinda being proven correct in sticking to the twice a year points model though, we still have 2-3 months left on the current cycle and things are looking rosy for now.

1 hour ago, Brunas said:

so here's my question - is the game super well balanced, or did worlds faction prizes break people being mostly rational actors?  Or have we just not found the dominant strategy yet?

I would argue that it's all pretty balanced. I was also at world's (with an impressive 1-4 record) and I saw a bit of everything, and it seemed like a bit of a rock paper scissors. Now this is a rough generalization that doesn't factor in player skill or a number of fringe meta lists so please don't tell at me about how I'm wrong, because of (x) matchup but from what I saw, it sort of broke down like this:

Tractors beat aces (Nantex, Ketsu)

Swarms (Separatists, Imperials, FO, Republic) beat tractors 

Aces (Imperial, Republic, Seperatist, maybe FO) beat swarms

Now this is a very broad generalization that doesn't cover every matchup (for example double large bases also run hard over tractors and some lists mix elements of all these archetypes)  however this covers a huge amount of the archetypes I saw, and points to a diverse, balanced state of play in the game. Which is awesome.

You may now all tell me why I'm wrong. 😂

1 hour ago, Brunas said:

I think it was the wild west factor. Nova had faction prizes too but it was fairly monolithic.

39 minutes ago, Dr Moneypants said:

I would argue that it's all pretty balanced. I was also at world's (with an impressive 1-4 record) and I saw a bit of everything, and it seemed like a bit of a rock paper scissors. Now this is a rough generalization that doesn't factor in player skill or a number of fringe meta lists so please don't tell at me about how I'm wrong, because of (x) matchup but from what I saw, it sort of broke down like this:

Tractors beat aces (Nantex, Ketsu)

Swarms (Separatists, Imperials, FO, Republic) beat tractors 

Aces (Imperial, Republic, Seperatist, maybe FO) beat swarms

Now this is a very broad generalization that doesn't cover every matchup (for example double large bases also run hard over tractors and some lists mix elements of all these archetypes)  however this covers a huge amount of the archetypes I saw, and points to a diverse, balanced state of play in the game. Which is awesome.

You may now all tell me why I'm wrong. 😂

I disagree with the rock - paper - scissors meta. I view RockPaperScissors as 75+% Matchups vs each other. Right now I view most of those as 55/45 matchups. Slight advantages here and there but definitely able to play around. Heck, I'd say even Meta vs Non-Meta probably only jumps to 60/40, not accounting for player skill.

I feel Tractors are more a gimmick. If you are unprepared for them, they'll wreck you regardless of your list. Understand the whats and hows, and you definitely turn the match into your favor.

Maybe I'm also disagreeing cause my main list doesn't fall into your main 3 😢

3 hours ago, Brunas said:

CIS Swarms look to have really good cut rates even when not outright winning.  Likely indicates they at least have a consistency edge over available options.  It's kind of disappointing to see Imperial Aces continue winning, but they weren't dominant, so at least there's that.  The Republic didn't do as well as some were expecting, hard to say why, although Nantex and/or planning for them may have been a factor.  Both my own experimentation and the results seem to index Nantex's trade power for consistency making them more vulnerable to bad matchups or poor board states, but dominating the matchups they do pair well into.  It makes them unlikely to win overall, but still very annoying if you pull them with the wrong list.

Looks like at worst some minor adjusting needed.

4 minutes ago, therealjazzmang said:

At the last moment, I was only motivated to break the Plo Koon line to get that sweet sweet Krayt coin. Does that count?

Course I'm lying. I was going to play Plo all along.

I saw a non-0 number of people playing plo to use the cool ship model.  I suspect we see Plo slightly over-performing in the next few weeks.