SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

1 minute ago, AEIllingworth said:

I’ve been meaning to ask, does snap shot count as a firing arc? For example, most of the HWK abilities: 11 points cheaper than moldy crow. It tangentially relates to whether you can snap shot in engagement. 

Firing arc is defined in the RR. I can pull it up, but the short answer is no: only printed arcs and mobile turret arcs (the rotating cardboard arcs).

1 hour ago, pheaver said:

Yeah, I'm still in the "can use Foresight/SnapShot as a normal shot" camp.  You can't let bad judge rulings change your rulings.  There were a few at Worlds (can't keep score on paper / apps as one off the top of my head).

Now this is meant with all due respect, as you are a better player than I am and have acted as both a judge and Marshall and I have respected your rulings. 

That said, with semantic wording on the card questions aside, isn't the design/intent pretty clear? With Jedi having foresight through the force they know where their opponent will end up and can pop off a shot in the relative vicinity they think their opponent will end up, hence 'foresight'.  If it was to be used in the engagement phase wouldn't that just be 'sight' (which even non-jedi have, and frankly some Jedi don't even have). 

Edited by Dr Moneypants
I can't spell

1 hour ago, pheaver said:

can't keep score on paper / apps as one off the top of my head

Clarification on how this was enforced (at least from my perspective):

you can't write down opponents ships totals during the games / open phone / app.  but if you write it down before the game it's 100% okay for you to mark it off as you go.

Also edit: I think this was a "it's a major tournament so gotta be hard on rules we typically ignore" thing, like using alt arts.

Edited by Do I need a Username

2 minutes ago, Do I need a Username said:

you can't write down opponents ships totals during the games / open phone / app.  but if you write it down before the game it's 100% okay for you to mark it off as you go.

At a couple of HSTs, I printed out little slips of paper with half-points, full-points, and threshold for my ships.  I passed them out to my opponents.  Pretty much all of them were baffled as to why I was giving this to them, and never looked at it again.  Pretty much all of them asked me multiple times, during the game, for the same information that was on the slips I'd handed them.

IMO, when the score changes due to damage on a player's ships, that player should have an affirmative duty to verbally share that info with the opponent.  Half-points have made scoring incredibly important and -- at the same time -- harder than ever to track.

It's a little bemusing to note how much push-back there is on that straightforward common-sense opinion.

18 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

Worlds was great! 

Did Worlds make you more or less excited to play X-Wing? 

https://strawpoll.com/35a93wkp

more more more. I've got like 4 different variations and imitations of DT's list to try, and I'm honestly conflicted on the fact that we're playing aces high tonight instead. I WANT TO DO BOTH!

40 minutes ago, Dr Moneypants said:

Now this is meant with all due respect, as you are a better player than I am and have acted as both a judge and Marshall and I have respected your rulings. 

That said, with semantic wording on the card questions aside, isn't the design/intent pretty clear? With Jedi having foresight through the force they know where their opponent will end up and can pop off a shot in the relative vicinity they think their opponent will end up, hence 'foresight'.  If it was to be used in the engagement phase wouldn't that just be 'sight' (which even non-jedi have, and frankly some Jedi don't even have). 

It's a problem to attempt to rule RAI on cards you think are intended differently. It's best to go with RAW when possible, especially when the card reads one way.

Though of course FFG did away with that with the Cova+R4 and Sense ruling. They ruled differently than the way the card read.

28 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

Worlds was great! 

Did Worlds make you more or less excited to play X-Wing? 

https://strawpoll.com/35a93wkp

More and less?  I won a 2020 Worlds invite at a Trial the size of a large kit tourney the same day as Worlds 2019 completed.  I feel like I'm playing with house money for the next year.  So I'm kind of more excited to play in part because I care less about my results.  

Except winning Resistance prizes.  GIVE ME MORE RESISTANCE STUFF.  

9 minutes ago, MegaSilver said:

It's a problem to attempt to rule RAI on cards you think are intended differently. It's best to go with RAW when possible, especially when the card reads one way.

Though of course FFG did away with that with the Cova+R4 and Sense ruling. They ruled differently than the way the card read.

I mean in some circumstances I would agree with you, except... The card/power is called *foresight*. Occam's razor and all that.

12 minutes ago, MegaSilver said:

It's dangerous to generalize like this.  There are some cards that straight don't work RAW. 

Where's the line?  There isn't a good one! Have fun!

7 hours ago, skotothalamos said:

Some day, they will learn how to write cards so they say how they actually work. 

As much as I point out that FFG staff are not very good at writing clearly, I have to recognize that what they're aiming to do, very brief sentences explaining complex concepts, is very hard to achieve.

My job is to craft regulatory policies and regulations and getting some very clear meaning across in a way that will be read the same by every stakeholder is nearly impossible. As often as people claim that there's "only one way to parse this in English", your understanding of a sentence depends a lot on your personal experience and the connotations of words (or punctuation) may vary. As much as I :facepalm: when our regulated entities misread our rules, I have to remember that even other teams within the same regulator don't understand exactly what we meant in some instances. And we probably misunderstand what they wrote. All because we don't have the same shared history of how it came to be that any specific rule was written the way it is and what exactly it is trying to achieve.

That's not to say that I'd cut FFG a lot of slack on this, their stakes are lower and they control the whole ecosystem without outside influence actively attempting to break it; an ecosystem that is far less complex. They could do it if they wanted to.

I'm not sure they can afford to. My work involve policy analysts, lawyers, writers, and editors; none of which are paid anywhere close to what game devs at FFG are probably paid, in recognition that it's not easy work when getting it nearly perfect every time is the goal.

I still get a chuckle when reading rules from FFG or other boardgames, some of the holes you could drive a truck through!