SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

I played Sun, Chertek, and Grievous at Worlds.  The only games I lost were to large base ships, or to my own mistakes.  The list is not forgiving at all.  Most of my opponents just couldn't touch the Nantexes.

Small-based lists like Oli's are challenging: everything 5+ in Imperial or Republic means you really lean on Sun.

21 minutes ago, Cuz05 said:

Sun's biggest impact at Worlds was the number of Plo Koons swapped in for Anakins :D

I flew Little Annie instead of Big Annie because I like him more. Plo just slotted in nice and happened to work against Nantex if I faced them. I didnt face any during the main event. 

10 hours ago, pheaver said:

I played Sun, Chertek, and Grievous at Worlds.  The only games I lost were to large base ships, or to my own mistakes.  The list is not forgiving at all.  Most of my opponents just couldn't touch the Nantexes.

Small-based lists like Oli's are challenging: everything 5+ in Imperial or Republic means you really lean on Sun.

I can't remember who your opponent was, but there was one game I had streaming while playing my mate and I remember thinking "Paul is on the ropes", and you were for much of the game (I think Sun Fac was on 1 HP and was carrying a crit from the first engagement onwards).  In the space of about 5 minutes you just decimated half his list and won comfortably as the Nantexes eventually got where they wanted to be and were simply brutal.

Top 8 game of a #TinyTrial this weekend, turn 2, my opponent flipped his dial for Matchstick with a look of dismay on his face, the maneuver being a 3-slight off the board, while the rest of his ships turned in toward the middle of the board. I mercilessly looked him square in the eye and said...

”I’m pretty sure you meant to go the other way, right?  Go ahead and do that.”

Edited by gennataos

2 minutes ago, gennataos said:

Top 8 game of a #TinyTrial this weekend, turn 2, my opponent flipped his dial for Matchstick with a look of dismay on his face, which was a 3-slight off the board, while the rest of his ships turned in toward the middle of the board. I mercilessly looked him square in the eye and said...

truly you've ruined the competitive nature of this game by letting your opponent compete.

21 hours ago, pheaver said:

I was surprised that you played this squad since those Nantex' are vulnerable to a single bad green roll. I don't recall any of your other Worlds squads being like this. 

Were you that confident about avoiding enough shots because of ensnare shenanigans? Was it a meta call that you didn't think you'd see many medium/large bases? Do you think the Nantex/ensnare is under priced enough that their relative power difference is worth the green dice risk?

Sorry for the barrage of questions. I really liked the squad, and was surprised to see you play it, so I assume you have some interesting insights about it.

Honestly, I couldn't beat it with squads I found fun (Sear Swarm was my main squad leading into this).  Since I couldn't beat it, I joined it.

The meta call was that large bases would disappear by the time I hit the cut, so I just needed to get there.  Once I would, I could beat any swarm or single or double ace list.  The triple ace lists that are all 5+ (Oli, for example) needed a little bit of luck and outplaying.

18 hours ago, gennataos said:

Top 8 game of a #TinyTrial this weekend, turn 2, my opponent flipped his dial for Matchstick with a look of dismay on his face, the maneuver being a 3-slight off the board, while the rest of his ships turned in toward the middle of the board. I mercilessly looked him square in the eye and said...

surely you were punished for your hubris with a defeat