SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

This is a quick announcement from the quick dial setting gang:

We in no way condone or accept individuals using quick dial setting to deny opponents opportunities.  Quick dial setting is to be used only for Flexing on your opponent, mind games, and gaining more time for friendly banter.  Also please remember that quick dial setting may pressure some opponents, and give them benefit of the doubt if they do stupid stuff (Like flying off the board).  also remember that some ships require you to practice the art of delayed quick dial setting.

14 hours ago, drjkel said:

Turns out his opponent nicely explained how Biggs worked. While Biggs was not currently at R1 from the f-ing Ghost that was R1 from my son's 3 fair Defenders. I asked the player, he said he was explaining for future turns. I mean, telling a 7 year old "in theory, if he were at R1 of the Ghost" and having a kid get confused is not a super surprise. The player played it off as "prepping for a regional, sorry if my list was too much for him." I was mad.

Is explaining your list actually bad?

Like, that is something you should tell your opponent, specially in a casual game. That or you surprise them when it's relevant.

46 minutes ago, Smikies02 said:

Is explaining your list actually bad?

Like, that is something you should tell your opponent, specially in a casual game. That or you surprise them when it's relevant.

It is when you do it out of context. And it was a tournament, not a casual game. The time to explain is before the game starts or when the ability actually gets used.

When your opponent is considering 3 4 dice R1 double modded shots into a Ghost and you casually point out "You know, when Biggs is at R1 of the Ghost, you have to shoot at Biggs" when Biggs is not at R1 of the Ghost, it's a **** move meant to confuse. And it worked, Biggs died instead of the Ghost (which significantly altered the rest of the match). I don't believe there is as much of a parallel in 2.0 as far as denying someone's choice of targets, so that part fixed itself, but the behaviour was still playing mind games instead of playing better and not parking your Ghost at R1 of your enemy without the Biggs bubble active.

Unpopular opinion time I guess. I go to a tournament to win. I follow the rules and play the game in a polite manner. If an opponent doesn't have fun for whatever reason, not my problem. My list wasn't fun to play against? Not my problem. I beat them too bad or too fast? Not my problem. Something in their list didn't work as expected? Not my problem. They made a big mistake and I stuck to the rules instead of letting them do something against the rules? Not my problem.

If someone has a bad time because I was mean, insulting, or deceitful, then yes that's on me. Otherwise, sorry you didn't enjoy a competitive environment.

If I get paired against a 7 year old, I'm going to play against them the same way I will anyone. Win and get as many points as possible.

Stop telling people "it's just a game of plastic space ships, have fun". Every activity has their casual level all the way up to competitive. Want to just have fun driving? There's go carts. Want to be competitive? Join a league. Want to be super competitive? Go to NASCAR, but don't expect Kyle Busch to take mercy on you just because you're a rookie.

We're in violent agreement. My issue is with those with attitude issues. 

My son also went for the kill, even when I was trying to teach compassion (poor opponent that 3-harded his Dash the wrong way off the board... My son realized that one he should probably have allowed a take back, on the way home). 

My concern is for all those with bruised feelings cause they came to win and got crushed. Some lash out, some don't. Either way, changing their perspective to focus on fun might be best for them. 

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, ConspiracyTheorist said:

Unpopular opinion time I guess. I go to a tournament to win. I follow the rules and play the game in a polite manner. If an opponent doesn't have fun for whatever reason, not my problem. My list wasn't fun to play against? Not my problem. I beat them too bad or too fast? Not my problem. Something in their list didn't work as expected? Not my problem. They made a big mistake and I stuck to the rules instead of letting them do something against the rules? Not my problem.

If someone has a bad time because I was mean, insulting, or deceitful, then yes that's on me. Otherwise, sorry you didn't enjoy a competitive environment.

If I get paired against a 7 year old, I'm going to play against them the same way I will anyone. Win and get as many points as possible.

Stop telling people "it's just a game of plastic space ships, have fun". Every activity has their casual level all the way up to competitive. Want to just have fun driving? There's go carts. Want to be competitive? Join a league. Want to be super competitive? Go to NASCAR, but don't expect Kyle Busch to take mercy on you just because you're a rookie.

I can respect your position.  At a tournament, I'm there to have fun but also to try and win.  If you forget your triggers or that your ship has a crit that affect it's maneuver choices that is on you, I'll probably remind you once if I notice but I'm not giving a mulligan for missed opportunities and I don't expect any in return.  If I screw up and forget something that's all on me.

I do want my opponents to have a good time, but I don't like mulligans.  I don't ask for them and it bothers me when my opponent makes a mistake or forgets something and asks me if it's ok if he does what he meant to do when we are at a competition.

Edited by Burius1981

4 minutes ago, drjkel said:

We're in violent agreement. My issue is with those with attitude issues. 

My son also went for the kill, even when I was trying to teach compassion (poor opponent that 3-harded his Dash the wrong way off the board... My son realized that one he should probably have allowed a take back, on the way home). 

My concern is for all those with bruised feelings cause they came to win and got crushed. Some lash out, some don't. Either way, changing their perspective to focus on fun might be best for them. 

Agreed, we can be extremely competitive and still have a good attitude. I've gotten plenty mad at games before, but I try to be mad at myself and if I notice that being projected into the game I'll apologize to my opponent, explain it's not them, and take a second to regain my composure. Or concede, walk outside, and have a pitty party. Sometimes you need that.

1 hour ago, ConspiracyTheorist said:

Ok, Rex Kwon Do.