SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

1 hour ago, skotothalamos said:

in one stream game, his opponent's Whisper was facing a Torrent and the opponent asked to see the Torrent dial to decide if he would cloak or not. While that was happening, he set his Jedi dials. Then the opponent says "okay, I cloak," and he says "nope, my dials are set. we're in planning."

Is that an eyewitness account? I've heard various rumblings, but none from anyone who speaks Polish.

4 minutes ago, jagsba said:

It's a bit sad he's there as a representative of the UK, he (and his brother) do have a rep of being at best arrogant and at worst indulging in pure gamesmanship so if this went down as reported it wouldn't be a huge surprise. It may have been a misunderstanding but it does look like he throws his dials down quickly there to deliberately nark his opponent.

9 minutes ago, tampermagnitude said:

It's a bit sad he's there as a representative of the UK, he (and his brother) do have a rep of being at best arrogant and at worst indulging in pure gamesmanship so if this went down as reported it wouldn't be a huge surprise. It may have been a misunderstanding but it does look like he throws his dials down quickly there to deliberately nark his opponent.

If that's what happened, to be clear, it wouldn't be "gamesmanship", it would be a verbatim violation of the tournament regulations.

After watching the video it does look like the Republic player tried to say that dials were set so lost opportunity to cloak, but the Phantom player just forced the cloak anyways. Then the Republic player goes back to change his dials to actual thought out manuvers. Good on the Empire player to not give in to that kind of junk. 

26 minutes ago, svelok said:

If that's what happened, to be clear, it wouldn't be "gamesmanship", it would be a verbatim violation of the tournament regulations.

judges tend to agree with whoever manages to sound more rulesy, faster, unfortunately.

people doing things like this drive people away from playing.  I'm sick and tired of seeing it.  If someone's response to your antics is "I don't really want to put up with that enough to go out and play", reconsider your antics.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Brunas said:

If someone's response to your antics is "I don't really want to put up with that enough to go out and play", reconsider your antics.

If somebody is doing something like the alleged interaction, I don't think they consider their opponent's response one iota and would be unlikely to reconsider any of their own actions.

Edited by LagJanson

4 minutes ago, Brunas said:

people doing things like this drive people away from playing.  I'm sick and tired of seeing it.  If someone's response to your antics is "I don't really want to put up with that enough to go out and play", reconsider your antics.

That is why we first stopped going out to play X-wing. People playing mind games with a 7 year old was just fricking sad (not many did, but enough to be annoying).

We've been back once and it appeared to be OK. I'm still on the lookout all the time though, and it's tiring.

I'm "glad" to see he's not special and some people feel the need to pull those stunts on other grown up players. For a very sad definition of "glad."

I've noticed an uptick in that kind of behaviour in 2.0 unfortunately and I've been trying to figure out why. Maybe it's because 2.0 trys to be "harsher" so people try to game the rules as much as possible to gain advantages. 

In his defense, Ashok seems to be on the autistic spectrum (to this outsider at least), and can get bogged down in the minutiae of playing to the letter of the rules with no understanding of social interactions.

Not an excuse, but a possible reason for how he occasionally behaves.

24 minutes ago, SnooSnarry said:

I've noticed an uptick in that kind of behaviour in 2.0 unfortunately and I've been trying to figure out why. Maybe it's because 2.0 trys to be "harsher" so people try to game the rules as much as possible to gain advantages. 

I think some of it is because 2.0 brought in a lot of new players so there's a lot more n00bs to take advantage of.  

Ashok called a judge for an attack rewind in the final too... They had forgotten to flip a card from the lambda, which resulted in structural damage. 

Thing is Ashok attack blanked out, yet since the crit wasn't flipped, he asked for rewind. 

For some bull reason, the head judge chose not only to have the attack performed again, but also the lambda one. 

In the end the lambda dealt one more damage still taking none... 

I think that while rule lawyering to some extreme is bad, in the end having judge making weird calls is probably worse 

12 minutes ago, Sunitsa said:

Ashok called a judge for an attack rewind in the final too... They had forgotten to flip a card from the lambda, which resulted in structural damage. 

Thing is Ashok attack blanked out, yet since the crit wasn't flipped, he asked for rewind. 

For some bull reason, the head judge chose not only to have the attack performed again, but also the lambda one. 

I think that while rule lawyering to some extreme is bad, in the end having judge making weird calls is probably worse 

I found that weird as well.  I'm guessing the judge was thinking something like "some crits could have affected the attack, causing it to be rerolled, so we have to replay the whole thing."

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Transmogrifier said:

Anything higher than zero is indefensible and embarrassing for the hobby. That's ridiculous.

Egos are fragile. The kid was (maybe still is?) really good and people may have wanted to save face. I'm not saying it's a good reason, but it is a reason.

I always make sure (now) to always play next to him so I can "teach him the game" if something weird comes up. Like saying you have a shot without measuring arcs when it's obviously iffy, I'm there to show "teach him" how to measure arcs so he doesn't get it wrong, ya know?

The one time I didn't stay by his side, I got the question during lunch time "Dad, (1.0) Biggs is super unfair, no matter where he is you have to shoot him if he's in arc!"

Turns out his opponent nicely explained how Biggs worked. While Biggs was not currently at R1 from the f-ing Ghost that was R1 from my son's 3 fair Defenders. I asked the player, he said he was explaining for future turns. I mean, telling a 7 year old "in theory, if he were at R1 of the Ghost" and having a kid get confused is not a super surprise. The player played it off as "prepping for a regional, sorry if my list was too much for him." I was mad. Then I felt better when he got nowhere near the top tables at the Regional in question (I know, I was at those tables, waiting for him). It wasn't gaming, it wasn't actively mean, but WTF is wrong with people that you would aim to confuse someone about your list?

I'm not playing away from him anymore. I'd concede to whoever my opponent is before that happened.

I may be too much of a dad to get it. I spent a Regional finals coaching EZ about his triggers, because trying to "mind game" (or sheer "out tire") a win seemed like a disappointing way to win (I lost, but I had fun!).

We also once had a long time respected player loudly proclaiming surprise that someone's GF would play in a store champ. I didn't feel proud.

They're tiny little things, I'm sure other games have it much, much worse, but they add up and make the community a bit less appealing to dip your toe in (before you learn that most players are really cool, chill people).

My many anecdotes, which means it's obviously valid data, seem to confirm that the most diverse the group of player is at an event, including kids and women, the better behaved players are and the more likely it is they remember this is about fun, not winning. So having those people there would be a very good thing. We should make everyone feel welcome to join all the time.

EDIT: For a sense of scale, he's played 66 games of competitive X-wing according to our tracker, and only 4-5 had really weird stuff happening. It's not all the time at all, but I wonder if it would be worth it if that level was to be expected.

Edited by drjkel

37 minutes ago, Sunitsa said:

new panic: X-Wing turning into the NFL. More time spent dealing with penalties than playing the game!

19 minutes ago, Biophysical said:

I found that weird as well.  I'm guessing the judge was thinking something like "some crits could have affected the attack, causing it to be rerolled, so we have to replay the whole thing."

Sadly the OP Europe head judge is just bad at his job. 

Game state wasn't affected at all. The only thing that could have gone differently was if Ashok chose to to shoot another ship once the lambda got the structural damage, but come on, seriously? That would be pretentious at best. 

A player shouldn't try to game the rules, but being it a final i could be somewhat sympathetic with Ashok and even assume good faith, what makes me rage is that judges should laugh out such nonsense rather than indulge on them