SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

6 minutes ago, FlyingAnchors said:

I’m going to argue Wedge is still meta, but the overall disappearance of rebels in competitive post points doesn’t help my case, but you do still see rebels making cuts here and there, and Wedge is usually apart of that, he’s just not spammed everywhere like he was. Sure he’s out of flavor currently, but an I-6 with outmaneuver baked in is almost always going to be a relevant option (unless double deci becomes really popular).

Meh, his ability was fine, if unspectacular.  It only really found a home against token stackers.  Rebel lost their archetype, 4 ship was stolen by Finn and they didn't have any other strong ones to fall back on. 

40 minutes ago, Kieransi said:

And yeah the ship has its downsides in survivability. 

I think perhaps I came across as angry or unhappy, which I'm not - Internet is difficult for communicating opinions fully. The TIE/ba is a cool ship and I'm going to buy several. 

My main point here is that it seems that there's a lot of ways to heavily modify dice in the game right now and double/triple mods are creeping back in more and more, which I'm not really attaching good or bad emotions to, just find it interesting since it was a stated goal of 2.0 to steer away from that sort of thing. Also entirely possible that that one less green die is a bigger deal than I think it is. 

All good.

As to mods... I think stuff is still fairly rare, and certainly a lot less common than 1e.  The Force always makes it easy, but this seems like the first ship which might easily be able to pull it off.  Sure, Predator exists, but Bullseye is a lot of work for a lot of ships, while FTT can

With the specific example you gave, Advanced Optics are... meh.  2.813 vs 2.907 damage, only 0.1 added from AdvO.  To some extent, it almost seems silly that we're talking about excessive dice mods from Advanced Optics, when Weapons Guidance went essentially unplayed through 1e.  TIE Baron's ability to Lock/Focus easily is scary, but Optics is a small part of that.

//

As to the TIE/ba in general, kind of reminds me of L'ulo L'ampar, often either a 2/3/2/2 (presuming Depletion tokens are like strain for attack) or 3/2/2/2 statline.  I think anyone who has played with or played against L'ulo a lot knows how amazingly squishy he can be.  Toasted in two attacks isn't too hard.  Major Vonreg almost surely will be priced somewhere between Soontir and Fenn Rau in price (55-68 points), which is considerably more than L'ulo.  A large part of what makes L'ulo good is the cheapness. 

I feel like Vonreg is the kind of ace who winds up being really polarizing.  If an opponent is flying well, able to take strain freely, he's going to feel really unfair to play against.  Flown with mistakes?  Toasted like coconut.  At least, easily chip-damaged.  One downside Poe has over Soontir or Fenn Rau is how easy it is to chip in one hit here and there, and Vonreg seems like he'll have a similar potential flaw.

Those Fine Tuned Thrusters kind of boggle me.  Autothrusters make sense, it's just stress.  Strain?  It can help you get popped, or you'll still have to clear it with blue moves.  I don't really have a great sense of how it'll feel on the table.  I mean, I don't think it'll be *bad* but I think it's hard to know exactly how strong it'll be.

2 hours ago, player3010587 said:

The real question for TIE/ba: Composure to deplete a failed roll and evade to token up when caught, or Juke to strain a lock and evade? Cloakless Phantoms are coming to Hyperspace, regardless of Vonreg.

But Vonreg punishing fake Interceptors will be dope. True interceptors with hard 2 blues and boost (A Wings, Fangs, Silencers, Interceptors, etc.) have nothing to fear about 95% of the time with that ability: the blue will clear it. Fake Interceptors that effectively or truly double reposition through jank (Vader, Jedi, Nien, Guri) will be tormented ceaselessly by having red and white maneuvers result in having a far less threatening gun or a far more fragile ship.

I dunno if I can see Juke being plausible; just too expensive.  I can't see a Talent generic being as low as 43, and I couldn't see Juke being good enough without the numbers.  Meanwhile, you'd be on a 2-ish green, 4 health statline, without defensive Focus.

Composure really tempts me, however.  Depending on how Deplete works, Advanced Optics would mean really consistent 2-dice attacks, allowing full defense dice...

However, Crack Shot and Predator still seem like probably the best general options.  Lock/Focus is tempting, but Roll/Focus with Predator is also very good, and more likely to get you out of arc.

On 8/20/2019 at 10:03 AM, catachanninja said:

I think ethans version from gencon is probably stronger.

Ethan tweaked it again and won a Trial with it this weekend.

On 8/20/2019 at 10:10 AM, Boom Owl said:

Chewbacca is a kinda interesting pilot card. 

He's backseating Poe and Snap to become my new favorite.  

16 minutes ago, gennataos said:

AWESOME!!!

He played me at GenCon Round 7 (where we double Final Salvoed). I ran into him at the Regional, where he told me he tweaked his list because of our game. I'm very glad he went on to win it because of the tweak I uninvertedly gave him.

1 hour ago, gennataos said:

I was at that same trial, along aforementioned with @MegaSilver. Good to see that he won, especially since he's an S Tier, but shares my obsession with composure! We discussed Vonreg, the Euro Maarek, and Snap in an A Wing (like an upcoming Lego set, for busted fun). His patience and game sense are some of the best I've seen.

Also, a local whom I spar with most made 5-0!

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Tlfj200 said:

The lack of imagination continues... sadly :( 

I mean... considering their state at the end of the last one, scrounging old fighters make sense... unless these are literally MKIIs of everything, and then that's just dumb and full agreement.

EDIT: Actually, I'd really like to see one or two oddballs in that squadron just to highlight the scrounged nature of it... outside that strange freighter/gunship

Edited by LagJanson

1 minute ago, player3010587 said:

I didn't click "Watch on Youtube", so only 1 suggested video popped at the end. That was Skeletor's Origins.

WHY AREN'T WE TALKING ABOUT THAT, YOU FLESHY IDIOT FOOLS!

I watched the 80s live action movie. He-Man and anything related is dead.

3 minutes ago, skotothalamos said:

I hear he was flying "set a dial before they cloak and then call a judge." Seems to have worked.

Geniune confused react as i don't know what you are referencing.

The finalist has Anakin Delta R2, Obi Sense Delta R2, V19 @190pts, to answer the Q.

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Darth Seridur said:

Geniune confused react as i don't know what you are referencing.

The finalist has Anakin Delta R2, Obi Sense Delta R2, V19 @190pts, to answer the Q.

in one stream game, his opponent's Whisper was facing a Torrent and the opponent asked to see the Torrent dial to decide if he would cloak or not. While that was happening, he set his Jedi dials. Then the opponent says "okay, I cloak," and he says "nope, my dials are set. we're in planning."

Edited by skotothalamos