SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

Holy crap the ace wing is back in full force! I don't know about the US, but Euros was between a third and half of all lists as heavy on aces as they can be.

Pick 2-3 from Vader, Soontir, Whisper, Inqy, Duchess, and add a palpshuttle if you like

Pick 2 Jedi (Anakin +1, and why is it not Obi?!), and add some noise (Ric, Torrent, Arc...)

And the general vibe at Euros was a bit too competitive for my taste. It was still fun, don't get me wrong, but today during Hyperspace was so much better because nobody cared.

1 hour ago, GreenDragoon said:

Holy crap the ace wing is back in full force! I don't know about the US, but Euros was between a third and half of all lists as heavy on aces as they can be.

Pick 2-3 from Vader, Soontir, Whisper, Inqy, Duchess, and add a palpshuttle if you like

Pick 2 Jedi (Anakin +1, and why is it not Obi?!), and add some noise (Ric, Torrent, Arc...)

Interestingly the top S&V lists look to be tuned to directly mess with aces via tractor, stress, jam, Init gutting, or a combination of any of the 4. I don't have any faith that the control lists will survive the Jan points pass, if FFG even lets them last past Sept... :( 

Fine-Tuned Thrusters: After you fully execute a maneuver, if you are not depleted or strained, you may gain 1 deplete or strain token to perform a lock or roll action.

Advanced Optics: While you perform an attack, you may spend 1 focus token to change 1 of your blank results to a hit result.

image0.png

So glad 2.0 is here to get rid of all the excessive dice mods from  1.0 :P 

TIE/Bad*** should probably be pretty expensive. Either that or strain is a bigger deal than I think. Making fun of Wedge and being killed at range 3 so much has trained me to think of individual green dice as irrelevant but perhaps I'm wrong and it'll be fine. 

25 minutes ago, Kieransi said:

Fine-Tuned Thrusters: After you fully execute a maneuver, if you are not depleted or strained, you may gain 1 deplete or strain token to perform a lock or roll action.

Advanced Optics: While you perform an attack, you may spend 1 focus token to change 1 of your blank results to a hit result.

image0.png

TIE/Bad*** should probably be pretty expensive. Either that or strain is a bigger deal than I think. Making fun of Wedge and being killed at range 3 so much has trained me to think of individual green dice as irrelevant but perhaps I'm wrong and it'll be fine. 

The thing that seems absolutely awesome about it (to me) is that if you guess right about which direction your opponent is going, you can basically get free actions from taking a strain with flanking ships. If you're wrong, you get punished.  That seems like a neat interaction, but I recognize that it could be way too good.

1 hour ago, Kieransi said:

image0.png

Idk if the tie b/a being expensive matters when everyone is just gonna try him and supernatural kylo with a bid lol

2 hours ago, Kieransi said:

image0.png

If it Strains Wedge has a 10% chance to kill it with a single modded torp, and 48% chance to crit it.  If Wedge has double mods, its a 29% chance to kill.  Luke has a 10% chance to one-shot with a torp as well.  It might be fine, since there are things made to deal with glass cannons like it.

The real question for TIE/ba: Composure to deplete a failed roll and evade to token up when caught, or Juke to strain a lock and evade? Cloakless Phantoms are coming to Hyperspace, regardless of Vonreg.

But Vonreg punishing fake Interceptors will be dope. True interceptors with hard 2 blues and boost (A Wings, Fangs, Silencers, Interceptors, etc.) have nothing to fear about 95% of the time with that ability: the blue will clear it. Fake Interceptors that effectively or truly double reposition through jank (Vader, Jedi, Nien, Guri) will be tormented ceaselessly by having red and white maneuvers result in having a far less threatening gun or a far more fragile ship.

4 hours ago, Kieransi said:

image0.png

2-ish green dice, 4 health.

2 hours ago, Do I need a Username said:

Or to put it another way: Losing one die doesn't matter too much.  Losing two dice, especially when you have mods, matters a fair amount.

My point with Wedge was more that his ability in isolation isn't really all that great against most things, and strain is sort of the same thing - wasn't really talking about Wedge vs the /ba. Wedge vs TIE/ba matchup is a different thing and yeah, if Wedge comes back into the meta he'll be good against them. 

5 hours ago, Biophysical said:

The thing that seems absolutely awesome about it (to me) is that if you guess right about which direction your opponent is going, you can basically get free actions from taking a strain with flanking ships. If you're wrong, you get punished.  That seems like a neat interaction, but I recognize that it could be way too good.

True, it is somewhat risk/reward which is cool

55 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

2-ish green dice, 4 health.

And yeah the ship has its downsides in survivability. 

I think perhaps I came across as angry or unhappy, which I'm not - Internet is difficult for communicating opinions fully. The TIE/ba is a cool ship and I'm going to buy several. 

My main point here is that it seems that there's a lot of ways to heavily modify dice in the game right now and double/triple mods are creeping back in more and more, which I'm not really attaching good or bad emotions to, just find it interesting since it was a stated goal of 2.0 to steer away from that sort of thing. Also entirely possible that that one less green die is a bigger deal than I think it is. 

They said dials would matter. 

They then made supernatural reflexes, advanced sensors fine tuned controls, etc.  almost all from the get go. 

Devs don't let fair get in the way of cool. Which is fine for kitchen table gaming. 

1 hour ago, gennataos said:

I think @5050Saint already has a name for it...?  

I've been calling it "The Spanish Inquisition" because nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition! Any really nobody expected my TAPs to do anything.

BTW, does anyone have Kai Krupp's contact info? I want to congratulated him on winning where I did not.

59 minutes ago, Kieransi said:

My point with Wedge was more that his ability in isolation isn't really all that great against most things, and strain is sort of the same thing - wasn't really talking about Wedge vs the /ba. Wedge vs TIE/ba matchup is a different thing and yeah, if Wedge comes back into the meta he'll be good against them. 

True, it is somewhat risk/reward which is cool

And yeah the ship has its downsides in survivability. 

I think perhaps I came across as angry or unhappy, which I'm not - Internet is difficult for communicating opinions fully. The TIE/ba is a cool ship and I'm going to buy several. 

My main point here is that it seems that there's a lot of ways to heavily modify dice in the game right now and double/triple mods are creeping back in more and more, which I'm not really attaching good or bad emotions to, just find it interesting since it was a stated goal of 2.0 to steer away from that sort of thing. Also entirely possible that that one less green die is a bigger deal than I think it is. 

I’m going to argue Wedge is still meta, but the overall disappearance of rebels in competitive post points doesn’t help my case, but you do still see rebels making cuts here and there, and Wedge is usually apart of that, he’s just not spammed everywhere like he was. Sure he’s out of flavor currently, but an I-6 with outmaneuver baked in is almost always going to be a relevant option (unless double deci becomes really popular).