SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

14 minutes ago, gennataos said:

The talk about games going to time got me thinking...what if I wasn't trying to achieve complete destruction?  I know some lists are built specifically to try to win on time and some are specifically built for complete destruction.  I'd wager a lot of lists are somewhere in between and those of us flying them aren't quite sure how we're supposed to be winning.  I know I seldom approach early to mid game as "scoring points"...I'm aiming to remove ships.  It's not until the end game that I usually bother to get a running tally of points scored.  Maybe scoring points, like in a timed football game, is how I should be approaching things?  Get a lead and protect it?  

That doesn't necessarily mean score points and run.  To me, it means score points then endeavor to never put your ships in a compromised position.  Maybe that ends up the same as running and ends up no fun.  I don't know.  I just know most of my games go to time anyway, so why do I keep trying to figure out ways to kill opposing ships when, sometimes, I really don't have to?

i dont think any of the double jedi/regen lists are trying to win by destruction. Ditto for any SNR list.

As for the other point that everyone inbetween doesn't know... I agree that there's clearly confusion. I think it'd be ideal (for fun) if everyone's primary reason for list building is having a viable path to complete destruction, and that you simply adapt to failing to be able to do so on the board. Unfortunately, most ace lists (right now) pretty clearly are list building with the intent of simply scoring more points, and running. It's a viable tactic, but I think we all agree it leads to less fun games, in aggregate.

10 minutes ago, K13R4N said:

Can someone explain what planet Lares666 and Dalli is on? Just seen it on list fortress, out of 144 people at the German Champs Comp they came top 4 and top 16th with:

Koshka Frost (70)    
    Crack Shot (1)    
    IG-88D (3)    

4-LOM (49)    
    Crack Shot (1)    
    Contraband Cybernetics (3)    

Latts Razzi (59)    
    Unkar Plutt (2)    
    0-0-0 (5)    
    Hound's Tooth (1)    

Nashtah Pup (6)    
Ship total: 6  Half Points: 3  Threshold: 2    

Total: 200    

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0: https://raithos.github.io/?f=Scum and Villainy&d=v8ZsZ200Z106X116WWW36WWWWY109X116WWW92WWY154XWWW64W63WWWW150Y160XWW&sn=Unnamed Squadron&obs=

I know I am definitly going to give it a go but what on earth am I missing here? How did they both do so well with it out of no where? 

I do not know for sure but:

large arcs (180, double front/back, and permastop front-locked). 

Further, Latts pilot + unkar is some dirty, dirty stuff, meaning you can never be denied your action, and you're 100% willing to tractor someone.

Kohska specifically synergizes with 4-LOM, and randomly punishes stressing ships.

man... just responding here and walking through this made me really come around on it... it seems really solid.

20 minutes ago, gennataos said:

The talk about games going to time got me thinking...what if I wasn't trying to achieve complete destruction?  I know some lists are built specifically to try to win on time and some are specifically built for complete destruction.  I'd wager a lot of lists are somewhere in between and those of us flying them aren't quite sure how we're supposed to be winning.  I know I seldom approach early to mid game as "scoring points"...I'm aiming to remove ships.  It's not until the end game that I usually bother to get a running tally of points scored.  Maybe scoring points, like in a timed football game, is how I should be approaching things?  Get a lead and protect it?  

That doesn't necessarily mean score points and run.  To me, it means score points then endeavor to never put your ships in a compromised position.  Maybe that ends up the same as running and ends up no fun.  I don't know.  I just know most of my games go to time anyway, so why do I keep trying to figure out ways to kill opposing ships when, sometimes, I really don't have to?

To extend the football analogy, sometimes continuing to try and score is also the right choice.  How often have you seen a team get a lead and stop scoring, and then the other team takes mildly risky plays and makes up the difference to win.  The same thing can happen in X-wing.  Like so many things in the game, it's extremely context specific. 

3 minutes ago, Tlfj200 said:

I think it'd be ideal (for fun) if everyone's primary reason for list building is having a viable path to complete destruction, and that you simply adapt to failing to be able to do so on the board. 

I agree that'd be preferred, more fun and how I've thought about list building.  I think I'm quickly falling short of complete destruction being possible, though, often when lists go on the table.  The overwhelming majority of lists I've played are 3-4 Resistance with some 5A thrown in for a mediocre performance at GenCon.  I'd wager 80+% of my games go to time.  I want to kill everything, but I usually don't have a viable path to do so. that makes me sad.

8 minutes ago, Biophysical said:

To extend the football analogy, sometimes continuing to try and score is also the right choice.  How often have you seen a team get a lead and stop scoring, and then the other team takes mildly risky plays and makes up the difference to win.  The same thing can happen in X-wing.  Like so many things in the game, it's extremely context specific. 

I've thought about just that scenario, too...playing to "not lose" can end up with a loss a lot.  

23 minutes ago, K13R4N said:

Can someone explain what planet Lares666 and Dalli is on? Just seen it on list fortress, out of 144 people at the German Champs Comp they came top 4 and top 16th with:

Koshka Frost (70)    
    Crack Shot (1)    
    IG-88D (3)    

4-LOM (49)    
    Crack Shot (1)    
    Contraband Cybernetics (3)    

Latts Razzi (59)    
    Unkar Plutt (2)    
    0-0-0 (5)    
    Hound's Tooth (1)    

Nashtah Pup (6)    
Ship total: 6  Half Points: 3  Threshold: 2    

Total: 200    

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0: https://raithos.github.io/?f=Scum and Villainy&d=v8ZsZ200Z106X116WWW36WWWWY109X116WWW92WWY154XWWW64W63WWWW150Y160XWW&sn=Unnamed Squadron&obs=

I know I am definitly going to give it a go but what on earth am I missing here? How did they both do so well with it out of no where? 

@Tlfj200 beat me to it, but yeah this was my favorite thing to come out of germany (that we know of).  Seems very good.  Unkar+Latts is non obvious and very clever, unironic architecture in action.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Tlfj200 said:

Further, Latts pilot + unkar is some dirty, dirty stuff, meaning you can never be denied your action, and you're 100% willing to tractor someone.

And because Tractor, probably not denied a shot... Nice.

That's what I get for forgetting to read...

Edited by theBitterFig

Posted (edited)

I dont know if it was the same player, but this used to fit I think ( might not have had the pup ) and made the rounds a long time ago. Pretty neat. 

Latts Razzi — YV-666 Light Freighter 59
0-0-0 5
Unkar Plutt 2
Hound’s Tooth 1
Ship Total: 67
Half Points: 34 Threshold: 6

Cartel Spacer — M3-A Interceptor 28
Heavy Laser Cannon 4
Ship Total: 32
Half Points: 16 Threshold: 2

Heavy Laser Cannon 4

Heavy Laser Cannon 4

Heavy Laser Cannon 4

Nashtah Pup — Z-95-AF4 Headhunter 6
Ship Total: 6
Half Points: 3 Threshold: 2
Edited by Boom Owl

1 hour ago, Tlfj200 said:

Latts pilot + unkar is some dirty, dirty stuff, meaning you can never be denied your action, and you're 100% willing to tractor someone.

Latts can't tractor stuff at range zero, unless I'm missing something (or the Germans were) I don't really see the synergy?

unless the idea is just to Unkar reinforce + 000 after a bump, in which case, sure

The german meta is a gold mine... 

Rexler Brath + Juke + Fire-Control System + Ion Cannon 
Inquisitor + Supernatural Reflexes + Fire-Control System + Proton Rockets 

Posted (edited)

I played against Chewie with Rey, 3 pods and Tallie recently. It was deceptively good. The pod has a pretty surprising dial and Chewie is mean. Won the small tourney, (having beat our Boba Emon), but tbf, the guy has to play utter jank to avoid winning these.

Also, 4LOM, Latts, Koshka. Every time I see something like this, I want to pick up the general opinion on Scum and shake it bodily, loudly shouting I told you so into its face. Especially since the points change.

Never underestimate a cunning plan.

Edited by Cuz05

Just now, Boom Owl said:

The german meta is a gold mine... 

Rexler Brath + Juke + Fire-Control System + Ion Cannon 

I prefer Vessery with the 2 Inqs. Very destructive.

8 minutes ago, svelok said:

Latts can't tractor stuff at range zero, unless I'm missing something (or the Germans were) I don't really see the synergy?

unless the idea is just to Unkar reinforce + 000 after a bump, in which case, sure

I mean, range 1 of a big ship is still a real threat radius, plus it allows self blocks + actions, etc.

Posted (edited)

It just doesnt stop

Omicron Group Pilot + Jamming Beam + Hull Upgrade 
Omicron Group Pilot + Jamming Beam + Hull Upgrade + ST-321 
Omicron Group Pilot + Jamming Beam + Moff Jerjerrod + Hull Upgrade 
Lieutenant Sai + Jamming Beam + Hull Upgrade 

4 Win Boosting Rear Arc Lamdas. 
We havent seen Memes of this power before.
Did he use the Jamming Beam more than 0 times? 

Edited by Boom Owl

15 minutes ago, svelok said:

no, but if you latts slams into you your options are stay there and be bumped, or go past and get tractored.  Both seem bad

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, RStan said:

Is there really a reason to have the Hounds Tooth and Nashtah Pup beyond just running with some extra points while opposing players have to math harder? 

Its a pretty solid blocker and little gut punch towards the end of the game depending on whats left. 

Edited by Boom Owl

1 minute ago, RStan said:

Is there really a reason to have the Hounds Tooth and Nashtah Pup beyond just running with some extra points while opposing players have to math harder? 

You keep latt's ability, which seems non-blank on a 6 point z95

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

Also while were identifying neat lists...

Chewbacca + Leia Organa 
BB-8 + Intimidation 
Rose Tico + Crack Shot 
Vi Moradi 
Finn + Heroic 

Chewie's Tide Pods 

I've messed around with Chewie + others.  Chewie needs to be protected well for him to pull his weight, which isn't always easy to do.  I think this version is straight up a "gotcha" list, as (anecdotally) evidenced by it making cut, but going no further.  I think Ethan Van Sant's list from GenCon is better, and even he said it could be improved (like, by swapping the RSE for Bastian).

Edited by gennataos

15 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

It just doesnt stop

Omicron Group Pilot + Jamming Beam + Hull Upgrade 
Omicron Group Pilot + Jamming Beam + Hull Upgrade + ST-321 
Omicron Group Pilot + Jamming Beam + Moff Jerjerrod + Hull Upgrade 
Lieutenant Sai + Jamming Beam + Hull Upgrade 

4 Win Boosting Rear Arc Lamdas. 
We havent seen Memes of this power before.
Did he use the Jamming Beam more than 0 times? 

Well there's a list that denies expectations... 

I'm not expecting much use of the jamming memes, but it's possible.