SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

1 hour ago, player3010587 said:

Vess will never be as good as Brath: change my mind

Points are mutable, if Vess really is worse than Rexlar then there's a foreseeable future where he's cheaper. So never is a strong word.

Ignoring points though I agree with you. Vess's ability is a win more ability, it gets less good as you lose ships and is blank when he's your last ship, which is very common for a Defender. Rexlar is a much better closer since he's more able to arc dodge and at that stage things are often shieldless and his ability happens all the time

19 hours ago, Mattman7306 said:

@Bucknife what has you confused today?

Um, why not both?

_____

Brath+Vess

(81) Rexler Brath [TIE/D Defender]
(3) Daredevil
(6) Collision Detector
(4) Heavy Laser Cannon

(84) Colonel Vessery [TIE/D Defender]
(3) Daredevil
(6) Collision Detector
(4) Heavy Laser Cannon

Total points: 191

Posted (edited)

Vessery's stock seems likely to go up after Wave 5 and Targeting Computer.  Vess works best when he's attacking before the friendly ship with a lock.  Passive Sensors doesn't do it, since those ships have to engage first.

Edited by theBitterFig

7 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

Vessery's stock seems likely to go up after Wave 5 and Targeting Computer.  Vess works best when he's attacking before the friendly ship with a lock.  Passive Sensors doesn't do it, since those ships have to engage first.

There, I fixed it. 

___

Brath+Ryad

(3) Daredevil
(6) Collision Detector
(4) Heavy Laser Cannon

(82) Countess Ryad [TIE/D Defender]
(3) Daredevil
(6) Collision Detector
(4) Heavy Laser Cannon

Total points: 189

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Bucknife said:

Um, why not both?

_____

Brath+Vess

(3) Daredevil
(6) Collision Detector
(4) Heavy Laser Cannon

(3) Daredevil
(6) Collision Detector
(4) Heavy Laser Cannon

Total points: 191

2 ship defender is best done with 2 lean defenders and a filler. 1 defender is great for ensuring a point fortress. 2 is a redundancy and thus lost points. You could thus replace a Defender with a super ace like Vader/Whisper etc. or even decide to go lean and have 3 high init aces, 1 being a defender. 2 ship lists that work either tank super well and/or can run like crazy. There are way too many shots fired out there for a single token stack to endure early game shots and do damage whilst full throttling and not getting blocked. For this reason Thicc Ricc hasn't been explored much.

Also, Defenders typically want to move first, even if they are not rocking Juke. They see open spots and want to be there, commanding board presence and daring an ace to engage. They don't repo much, even with Outmaneuver, HLC, or Marksmanship+Autoblasters. A bid typically means wasted points.

Night beast is a good friend of Rex and Vess tho, although Vess can be Thiccsper in that list.

Edited by player3010587

33 minutes ago, Brunas said:

I have never disagreed more. Why is Vader the only ship you could get a lock from in empire in the same faction as jendon and st-321?

Lambda confirmed regional-legal when? Oh that's right, after the Defender in wave 6, while it waits.

Also Rex + Maarek + Palp >>> Vess + Whatevs + Palp: fite mii freidayy

2 hours ago, Biophysical said:

My favorite defender list so far has been Soontir + 2 Deltas, and even that one feels a little off.

A very solid list, and the litmus test for any Defender list. Also similar to Kylo 2U.

I guess that the reason it feels a little off is that although Deltas are good, even Onyx's have a situational Wedge ability with Outmaneuver or an effective 4 die gun with Juke. Even Marksmanship Autoblasters for just 3 more points to the Onyx chassis can become a good source of annoyance.

21 minutes ago, player3010587 said:

A very solid list, and the litmus test for any Defender list. Also similar to Kylo 2U.

I guess that the reason it feels a little off is that although Deltas are good, even Onyx's have a situational Wedge ability with Outmaneuver or an effective 4 die gun with Juke. Even Marksmanship Autoblasters for just 3 more points to the Onyx chassis can become a good source of annoyance.

The problem, for me, is that you need deltas if you want a good 3rd ship.  The Onyx can get more offense, but then your 3rd ship is a bit weaker.  I guess what I don't like is that it just wins by not dying. It can do damage, for sure, but that's not really how you're trying to win the game if you're smart.

44 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

German Nationals, a rebel beef (xyub) went 6-0 into cut. (He's featured in several bat reps and usually wins against me). Rebel beef never went away, and the former rebel players who switched to imp/republic might finally get another architect's work to copy.

Wedge, Dutch, Cassian, Braylen? I’m guessing here, haven’t checked to see if it fits... actually it shouldn’t...

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Biophysical said:

I guess what I don't like is that it just wins by not dying.

Also why alot of bad players think defenders arent good. What makes them good just isnt fun for anyone involved so you see alot of defender players actively working against their own win conditon. 

Just one of a small list of ships that should have been redesigned completely for 2.0 ( Defenders, YT2400, Jumpmaster, to name a couple ). 

These are ships that were born in the dumpster fires of 1.0 and are kinda out of place in a better game. 

Edited by Boom Owl

Posted (edited)

Also Happy Friday I guess

Here are two defender lists that seem fun.

One for future timeline hyperspace: 

Rexler Brath — TIE/D Defender 81
Lone Wolf 5
Ship Total: 86
Half Points: 43 Threshold: 4

Soontir Fel — TIE Interceptor 53
Predator 2
Ship Total: 55
Half Points: 28 Threshold: 2

Grand Inquisitor — TIE Advanced v1 52
Sense 5
Fire-Control System 2
Ship Total: 59
Half Points: 30 Threshold: 2

One for Current Timeline Extended: 

Lone Wolf 5
Heavy Laser Cannon 4
Ship Total: 90
Half Points: 45 Threshold: 4

Sigma Squadron Ace — TIE/ph Phantom 48
Juke 7
Half Points: 28 Threshold: 3

Sigma Squadron Ace — TIE/ph Phantom 48
Juke 7
Half Points: 28 Threshold: 3

You get to decide if this is confusion farming or content or both. 

Edited by Boom Owl

1 hour ago, Do I need a Username said:

Marksmanship autoblaster defenders are Hellas fun, but being aggro doesn't help the win condition which is sad.  Hyperdefensive ships are boring and dumb.

Which is why Rex is so fun! Give him an HLC + LW/Juke and people spend their actions running off. And if they don't, kaboom! (Yeah, defenders can take Outmaneuver or what not, but Juke is still super good on Rex).

1 hour ago, Boom Owl said:
Lone Wolf 5
 Ship Total: 86
Half Points: 43 Threshold: 4

Soontir Fel — TIE Interceptor 53
Predator 2
Half Points: 28 Threshold: 2

Grand Inquisitor — TIE Advanced v1 52
Sense 5
Fire-Control System 2
Ship Total: 59
Half Points: 30 Threshold: 2

Almost took this to Gencon, although in this build Rex has HLC and LW but Grand Inky only has Hate. It's solid, but my Soontir play is too cowardly. I'm glad I flew FO instead bc the win threshold for dial covers was much lower, as was expected.

Bulletproof Vess

(10) Advanced Sensors
(6) Outmaneuver

(35) Inquisitor [TIE Advanced v1]
(8) Supernatural Reflexes
(2) Fire-Control System
(5) Cluster Missiles

(35) Inquisitor [TIE Advanced v1]
(8) Supernatural Reflexes
(2) Fire-Control System
(5) Cluster Missiles

Total points: 200

Do not underestimate the power of the Super Inquisitor.

Vessery is the most effective Advanced Defender. Fite me.

Not the most fun though....