SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

17 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

That poll on GSP stream was the best.... "what faction would you have brought?" around 18% each for FO and Resistance. Yeah right.

Might as well have asked “which factions are you bringing to HSTs and Grand champs for the next 5 months?” 

(Please let something be stupid broken and get an emergency points hike to keep the meta fresh. I don’t wanna face nothing but Kylo and Poe when I go to my HST later this month.)

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, gennataos said:

I may have inadvertently inflated the FO numbers for tomorrow. Oops

I hope so. Super Kylo is god-tier, but I was the only guy running him, and I am not god-tier. Perhaps something easier to fly albeit a lower skill ceiling would be better for a first gencon. I got 4 wins (hail to Supreme Leader Brunas for making 5!), so we'll pretend that there were only 6 games and not 7! In all seriousness, my 5 pts. bid was deep enough and each game was winnable: only 1 of my losses can be attributed to lopsided RNG, and there is an entire buffer game in these events for that reason. I am wholly at fault for the first 2 losses and at fault for the 3rd in a desperate gambit to catch up.

Please, the good players in this forum, run Super Kylo (3 ship version, although a 2 ship would be funny) today. We need to start the panic and rage over what Kylo and Vonreg can achieve. It'll be hilarious.

Edited by player3010587

So assuming that you can run Super Kylo and Vonreg decked decently with munitions, you could:

-Kylo shenanigans to snag a lock

-Vonreg shenanigans (albeit harder with the action order not being auto thrusters, but it for sure is more nimble than afterburner Midnight/QD) to lock and dodge/hide behind cloud (making the strain irrelevant)

-Vonreg mag pulses to get that crit through. The dark side can blind, panic, stun, etc. Either way, target gets jammed and fires 1 less, buffing squad offense and defense more.

-Kylo pounds into the jammed target, or mag pulses what he has a lock on. He could either slug the damage or join Vonreg in depleting targets.

-Systems phase: a strain/deplete in bullseye of Vonreg. If the ship K-turns, its gun is underpowered (we both know depletion is way nastier than strain in most circumstances). If it did a blue, Kylo doesn't care and can flank from behind. Not only does this Vonreg depletion give the list more breathing room, but it allows Kylo to stand up to I6 and go down an occasional obvious lane. Sure, Anakin can 5k remove stress, but he's only got a 2 die gun, and Vonreg could be coming in hot. Poe can SLAM a talon off a Leia blue 3 speed, but that's 1 time a game. Heck, challenge QD with that ability after jamming the fcs lock away: the 2 dice unloaded r3 can in many cases ignored (shield count is important here). And Wedge: Cassian doesn't remove deplete, Leia makes the K turn white, etc. Better hope foils are open. And if it's strain that the systems choose in pursuit mode....oh Lord, that'll be a higher dps than most endgames of Kylo QD.

"But Vonreg can't token stack in a bad spot like Soontir!" Is it around 2 evades you need this turn? Fail a bonus action from ship ability to trigger Composure, and then Evade. If you chose strain, you're a TIE phantom. If you chose deplete, you're probably saving mods for defense and wouldn't hit the attack anyway. Fanatical also seems cool, but I dig the composure tricks wherever they may be.

Vonreg would be fun to coordinate so as to get the bonus but no penalty. Too bad no force users for the craft. He'd be as good for Midnight and QD as he is for Kylo. For depleting people: control QD shield count better, near guarantee Midnight not be concerned this round. For straining people (especially with that jam missile that QD would like to fill the procket slot with), QD seems extra scary for 1 shot, or Midnight will not worry about the fanatical optics 2 hits being nattied away as much.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Brunas said:

Oh no

Actually I'm in, hail to the best FO player on the continent

By that logic, I'm the best SNR player on the continent 🤣.

7 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

Best so far

Day 1b and 2 should bring some more competition

No FO in the cut, so unless Day 1b brings it, then a 5-2 FO with lower MOV will give brunas an ego buff to his delusions of grandeur.

Edited by player3010587

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, drjkel said:

Unknowable. It's behind the GSP paywall right now.

Easy, go to your YouTube notifications and click the link from there.

Edit: Aw never mind, Dion has finally realized that. Was good while it lasted.

Edited by Quack Shot

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, arctic_rogue said:

What lists have been on stream?

I didn’t watch everything, but I checked in often enough to remember:

Mux Seevor 3xCartel Marauder v Luke (Protons) Wedge (Protons) U (Leia) honorably jousting, Rebels were wrong.

Vader (sense) Soontir 3 academies v Poe AAA (rip Tyler, very defensive game)

Grevious 2x bombardment drone (prox mines) 3x vulture v xxxx (garvin, Biggs, red (selfless), Wedge) (I checked out early on this one)

vader, soontir 2x Bomber v Fenn Lando (craft) 2x StarViper. Fenn popped early and then pretty textbook cleanup. 

Chris played big acrylic, Kylo Scorch 2x /sf v sinker olé, 4x torrent. “Knock knock” Nuckols was up at time, this seemed one of those games that Kylo wins if it was untimed, but the swarm got a good start and too much beef to chew in an hour. 

Edited by AEIllingworth

7 hours ago, player3010587 said:

mag pulses to get that crit through [for I'll Show You The Dark Side]

Dang.  That had slipped my mind.  Mag Pulse/Passive Sensors Zeta could be an interesting filler, in some kinds of Kylo lists.

Or Kylo crew lists.

Tavson with Kylo Crew, plus three SFs, some with Mag Pulse, some with Concussion to flip it face up again?

8 hours ago, GreenDragoon said:

Unironic composure endorsement

We truly live in the dankest timeline!

Surprised that more Composure Afterburner Maarek builds don't exist. For 1 pt, he gets the option to turn one of his 2 boosts into a focus. It is sooo fun. Never thought it to be good on FO bc fanatical is so good, but on Vonreg, the double defense mods are so easy to proc for 1 pt that you can guarantee that the best Vonreg's have at least 1 pt in upgrades. Most I6, if they catch you, you have a single mod on 3 dice or just 2 agi. Throwing away your firepower to non-stress push the limit (positionally not dependent, unlike Soontir) to TIE Defender defense with 2 crit blocking shields is crazy good. Sure, you can catch him easier than Soontir, but his defense can snap on easier than Soontir.

image.png.2524b45c186e76c1bc85338d958c2300.png

@Jeff Wilder You seem to have thoughts on this topic!

The way I see it... if you conclude from a game that "I lost that because I didn't roll well/he rolled too good," there is basically only one improvement action you can take away for future games: "I need to roll better." Not terribly useful.

Alternatively, if you look hard for ways in which you could have played better, even if you did get diced awfully hard, then you at least have actionable items that you can take away to do better (or at least differently) the next time.

I mean, dice absolutely do swing games drastically. But there is no such thing as a perfectly played game, and crying out "muh dice" instead of taking a deeper look does yourself a disservice if you're trying to refine your game.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DoubleDown11 said:

I mean, dice absolutely do swing games drastically. But there is no such thing as a perfectly played game, and crying out "muh dice" instead of taking a deeper look does yourself a disservice if you're trying to refine your game.

I fully agree with your post. But I want to point out that different audiences can (and should) hear different explanations for the loss.

An overly self-critical look is very good to improve, I think. In my battle reports, I try to identify my mistakes and try to figure out a way to avoid them in the future. But I also point out very unlikely events, hopefully for both players. Identifying those is also important.

The identified reasons might not be the critical reason. That could indeed be the dice, and saying so in a post game interview to an audience where you don‘t care to give an indepth analysis into your mistakes can be perfectly valid. That hinges on bad dice variance being the most important reason for the loss - a diagnosis that‘s probably way overused and a critical reaction by reflex is reasonable.

Edited by GreenDragoon

1 hour ago, drjkel said:

Either other people love Scyks, or @LagJanson is on stream!

And flying them like a champ. Great game. I will be watching @LagJanson's Gen Con career with great interest.

18 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

An overly self-critical look is very good to improve, I think. In my battle reports, I try to identify my mistakes and try to figure out a way to avoid them in the future. But I also point out very unlikely events, hopefully for both players. Identifying those is also important.

no u (or, to put another way, you make a strong argument as always and I agree with you entirely).

I try (tried) to do the same in bat reps, highlighting real outliers but trying not to get into the weeds of individual die rolls. I mean, absolutely dice are a deciding factor in games, and to ignore that would be misleading. But I would be hard pressed to think of a game where they were the only reason.

59 minutes ago, DoubleDown11 said:

image.png.2524b45c186e76c1bc85338d958c2300.png

@Jeff Wilder You seem to have thoughts on this topic!

The way I see it... if you conclude from a game that "I lost that because I didn't roll well/he rolled too good," there is basically only one improvement action you can take away for future games: "I need to roll better." Not terribly useful.

Alternatively, if you look hard for ways in which you could have played better, even if you did get diced awfully hard, then you at least have actionable items that you can take away to do better (or at least differently) the next time.

While not wrong, I think there can sometimes be a benefit to a relaxed "eh, dice..." mindset.  In a lot of games, there are some losses you just need to throw away.  Forget about it, move on.  That can be move on to the next game, but also sometimes just to the next turn.  Maybe look back later, try to find improvements in decision making, but there can be a downside to obsessing about the past when you've got more X-Wing to play.

Of course, this presumes a chill rather than salty "My dice!" sentiment.

Some people, they can't handle the swings.

17 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

While not wrong, I think there can sometimes be a benefit to a relaxed "eh, dice..." mindset.  In a lot of games, there are some losses you just need to throw away.  Forget about it, move on.  That can be move on to the next game, but also sometimes just to the next turn.  Maybe look back later, try to find improvements in decision making, but there can be a downside to obsessing about the past when you've got more X-Wing to play.

Of course, this presumes a chill rather than salty "My dice!" sentiment.

Some people, they can't handle the swings.

Also fully agree with this.

That adds the difference of timing: Don‘t overanalyze between tournament rounds or even game turns (drawing important conclusions can be very important though!).

Ticking off and going to the next is something a lot of professional atheletes have to learn, and I assume we all could learn from them in that regard.

Different times and different audiences.