SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

2 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

Soontir can also fly along side Darth Vader or other Imperial ships.  What I like about the build for Soontir is that you basically need to kill the non-upgraded Soontir (3 damage) in order to get half points on the Hull/Shield model.

//

My issue with the Hull/Shield Alpha Interceptor is the fact that a Sienar-Jaemus Engineer is 51 points, to the Alpha's 49.  Cross-faction comparisons are silly, but like, SJE's got a whole extra shield.

//

Anyhow, Quickdraw + 2 Sienar-Jaemus Engineers + 4th ship anyone?

Seems really solid if you roll around average. The problem is that I'm still trying to outwit greens with cloud potshots and arc dodging all the things I move after, but I still get rekt by the nonstop blanks. Hitting 1 agi ships that natty every roll can get infuriating, as that is worse to deal with than a permanent reinforce.

Got a contingency plan with that list or is it near naked? I'm terrified without failsafes.

7 hours ago, GreenDragoon said:

I have to disappoint you here, so far I had no time to scout out the cut.

I'm in love with my mindless jousting list! 

3 1/2 Xwings

(54) Temmin Wexley [T-70 X-wing]
(0) Integrated S-foils
(1) Composure

(51) Jessika Pava [T-70 X-wing]
(3) BB Astromech
(0) Integrated S-foils

(48) Lieutenant Bastian [T-70 X-wing]
(0) Integrated S-foils

(29) Finn [Resistance Transport Pod]
(8) Perceptive Copilot
(1) Heroic
(4) Advanced Optics

Total points: 199

I k-turn all the time! I don't think others know how weird that is to me. But Jess and Bastian still get offensive mods. Snap is acey af and Finn takes everyone by surprise. It's glorious!

Jess/Snap/Bastian and friend seems good.  I did it with a generic X instead of finn and the BB, and found it worked great.  For the first few games, no one targeted Bastian early, opting for Jess or Snap which let Bastian threaten things hard.

Just now, Do I need a Username said:

Jess/Snap/Bastian and friend seems good.  I did it with a generic X instead of finn and the BB, and found it worked great.  For the first few games, no one targeted Bastian early, opting for Jess or Snap which let Bastian threaten things hard.

But what if you had an xwing who always gets 2 evades or 3-4 hits instead?

1 minute ago, Do I need a Username said:

But boost though.  And TL being white.  And having more HP.  And having the same dial because I'm Lazy.

Or: and choosing to shoot before or after Bastian. And being really happy with the Jess-near 1straight/bank. And being underestimated with biggs effect, tanking a ton of damage.

The problem is that he only gets his up to 3 shots and then takes forever to turn around. But he takes no damage while doing that.

Just now, GreenDragoon said:

Or: and choosing to shoot before or after Bastian. And being really happy with the Jess-near 1straight/bank. And being underestimated with biggs effect, tanking a ton of damage.

The problem is that he only gets his up to 3 shots and then takes forever to turn around. But he takes no damage while doing that.

Yeah, I imagine the Biggs effect is nice, as is the init.  I'm just scared of the low HP and the time on Target.  I get the defensive mods are nice, but the threat of having spent both focuses on defense then dying to one to two shots scares me in a 4+ ship meta.

8 minutes ago, Do I need a Username said:

Yeah, I imagine the Biggs effect is nice, as is the init.  I'm just scared of the low HP and the time on Target.  I get the defensive mods are nice, but the threat of having spent both focuses on defense then dying to one to two shots scares me in a 4+ ship meta.

4 ship was... Braylen Ten Cassian scout, basically one ship gone per turn. You can also block with Finn, denying shots.

Also QD (7hp) Backdraft (7hp) Scorch Rivas, one ship gone per turn.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, GreenDragoon said:

Just in case twitch is going wild: The marshall intervened, they did the shot of the uwing, and the 0.65% event that Vynder dies and the game goes to final salvo did NOT happen.

I have no idea what this means!

EDIT: I now know what this means. In France, your concession can be overruled by the marshal. RioT!

Edited by skotothalamos

6 minutes ago, skotothalamos said:

I have no idea what this means!

EDIT: I now know what this means. In France, your concession can be overruled by the marshal. RioT!

Eh, that's very much not a charitable way to see it. He removed the ship, then shook hands. Removing the ship was wrong and hence shaking hands was based on a wrong game state. Which cleary in every other case should be ruled as the marshall did here.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

My issue with the Hull/Shield Alpha Interceptor is the fact that a Sienar-Jaemus Engineer is 51 points, to the Alpha's 49.  Cross-faction comparisons are silly, but like, SJE's got a whole extra shield.

Both Alphas and SJEs are out of necessity priced around break points so I'm not sure what I think of either. I was more thinking about the build on the Alpha, which is three points cheaper than a FOTP. No Fanatical is sad, but giving up a shield and lock actions for more versatile turn-around maneuvers and an evade action is interesting... 

also

Something something give me your poor huddled confused reaccs, yearning to be free

confused_s-post2.JPG

Edited by Kieransi

4 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

Speaking of lock actions. Remember when Targeting Computer Soontir was a playstyle? Thanks 2.0 

latest?cb=20130916222228

Tbf, current Soontir has a higher dps than the old standard Soontir. And your outmaneuver targeting computer Soontir will be viable for the first point cycle of wave 5 until they learn targeting computer has to be init costed instead of the flat 4 pts.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, GreenDragoon said:

Eh, that's very much not a charitable way to see it. He removed the ship, then shook hands. Removing the ship was wrong and hence shaking hands was based on a wrong game state. Which cleary in every other case should be ruled as the marshall did here.

enh. It is legal to forgo a shooting opportunity. The ship has to engage (which it clearly did), but it doesn't have to attack. Just because it's a mind-numbingly poor decision doesn't mean it's not allowed.

I guess it depends on what level we consider our competitions. If some bloke in the World Cup, or even in some unpaid Beer League, kicks the ball into his own net after 90 minutes, is the referee supposed to say "Oy, mate, there's a thing called Stoppage Time, but I get that you might not know the rules, so I'm going to wave that one off," or is he supposed to count the goal?

Are we okay with top players having only a passing knowledge of the rules so that they need the "charitable" help of a babysitter who is there to remind them to play the game instead of conceding a technically-viable position, or do we expect our top players to know the game inside and out?

Edited by skotothalamos

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Kieransi said:

Yeah that'll probably be good, focus lock is good. 

Wonder if targeting computer has other text now too?

Text in the ability section is all italicized flavor text. All we know is it adds the Lock action to the action bar of the ship equipping it. We still don't know slot or restrictions text if any.

Edit: I can't get a direct link but @J1mBob Has a high res of the Nantex spread on his card browser site. Set the left option to Wave V. Right option to Nantex-class Starfighter. Targeting Computer is on the far right of the upgrade spread.

http://www.infinitearenas.com/xw2browse/#

Edited by Hiemfire
Added link to where a high res image coud be found

14 hours ago, Sunitsa said:

Autoblasters are there because you are part of the confused react challenge right?

Nah. 2-point upgrade to gunboats to let them fire guns when reloading is very nice. Comes with a random bonus if they're facing away from you or range 2 in the bullseye. Gives them a 4-dice attack if people get inside torpedoes and end up in the bullseye. SLAMming hard turns to get behind people and have unblockable crits? just another thing that's worth way more than 2 points.

This guy gets it: https://listfortress.com/tournaments/905

Posted (edited)

Whilst you don't want to straight joust with QD, threatening the revenge shot is strong. You can get a potential 3 extra attacks due to the ability. Ideally you manage to position to take minimal damage in a turn.

Also can have the effect of people not wanting to shoot QD because of the revenge shot, which is also a win.

QD just has massive DPS which is the appeal.

Edited by Roundy1161

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, FlyingAnchors said:

So what is the appeal of QuickDraw in Kylo/Tavson/+ lists? Is it just straight pilot skill? Could you be just as well off with backdraft, leaving you some points for Kylo or Tavson?

Yeah his ability to threaten more damage is pretty key, like any list with a ship like kylo, him being a 6 isn’t irrelevant either...considering kylo is only a 5 it does help with other ace lists, as well as the ability to not get ps killed, 

with the list you really want to threaten from 3 angles and qd is much better at that due to the possibility of the double tap. Also both him and tavsons bring your opponent hard choices because both benefit from light attacks(triggering abilities)

also a QuickDraw that gets ignored early in the game is an awesome end game threat

also tavson And kylo don’t really need upgrades to be good, yeah they could help, but the reason you bring them is completely in their chassis’s and natural abilities...so your better off having a more capable third wheel, and you really don’t want to give points to tavson....he is in the list to take damage and will probably get at least half pointed every game

wow I say “also “ way too much lol

Edited by TheOz

42 minutes ago, FlyingAnchors said:

So what is the appeal of QuickDraw in Kylo/Tavson/+ lists? Is it just straight pilot skill? Could you be just as well off with backdraft, leaving you some points for Kylo or Tavson?

Kylo is a pretty solid ace.  But he's only Initiative 5.  Some of the things that are strong against Kylo are *other aces*.  Enter Quickdraw.

Like Wedge, I'd call QD less of an ace, and more of an ace-killer.  Not a super mobile arc dodger, but someone pretty decent at putting a hurt into an opponent's arc dodgers.  A lot of that is Initiative, but it's also that they have an ability to do a lot of damage in a short time window.  Soontir or such can often withstand a single attack a turn, but facing two attacks gets a lot harder.  If your opponent only has one Init 6 ship, if you can trade QD for that ship, Kylo can probably mop up whatever is left.

Backdraft is a great piece.  Really solid for a rather cheap price, and they don't need much in terms of upgrades--an efficient 3-dice gun.  But Backdraft doesn't really threaten enemy aces with high initiative, and doesn't really have burst damage.

3 hours ago, Roundy1161 said:

QD just has massive DPS which is the appeal.

Especially with coordinate charging FCS. Fanatical is also great, but requires a good game sense to fully utilize. If you know you will be deshielded by another shot this round, hold on your ability until so. If you are still shielded at the end of the round, it sucks that you just lost another attack this game. But at least you are still shielded. And the conservative hold is better than shooting when it does turn out the next shot will deshield you, and thus having lost fanatical.

As with any game effect, circumstances dictate the best course of action. If QD still has the focus live, might as well skip waiting for fanatical and jumping to the attack straight ahead. Same if you desperately need something to die before it can activate. Of course the easiest solution is to be in no more than one arc, but on a native single action no boost chassis, that's a bit tricky. At least when fanatical and fcs are both live, evade will keep you going a tad longer, although slooping to keep that fully modded gun on target might be better.

In case it isn't obvious, QD is much harder to utilize than before. You can't mindlessly stack a focus and use your action to br yet get full mods on every shot with a stored focus for 3 greens.@Roundy1161 obviously makes that clear in his comment, but the above word salad is why many players steer away and go for easier jousters like U's.

Further note on QD: Lone Wolf Prockets Afterburners make QD a sexy independent slaughterhouse, but the 18 pts in upgrades can starve the rest of the list, and lone wolf focus are full mods for only 1 shot. After that, the bonus attack is just a threat for those fearing hot variance. This version is a trap. If you really want prockets (not a bad investment) always take an upsilon and fcs.

Outmaneuver is cool, but works on front arc only. The wedge ability on 2 shots really pushes damage. But even more expensive than lone wolf. In general, if you see a talent, Fanatical and Crackshot should be the benchmarks for considering it. I.E.: Elusive has a nice synergy with pattern analyzer, but is best used with focus and defensively an evade is a solid choice on 2 agi. Besides, Fanatical adds way more efficiency, for by nodding offence, you know can spend the action to mod defense.

Collision detector only if you have trickshot and clouds. But 10 pts is a hefty price tag. That combo's cost is the same as advanced sensors, which this chassis really doesn't want. Yeah, passive sensors are fun, but QD is an I6. FCS or yet another slot left empty. 2pt. to mod 2 separate attacks and possibly be relevant next round is undeniably efficient.

Targeting sync: fun trick for optics munitions Kylo. But 6 whopping points. Pattern Analyzer is great, but if you let the points add up, the exchange rate of QD for the opposing I6 starts to shift. Optics...has anyone used them on QD?

Missiles: homing good against Soontir, concussions good for long range engaging, clusters are braindead, and the locked based munitions synergize with FCS and the swivel turret. But aside from procket burst damage, they seem over costed for any SF holding a gunner.

Mods: Shields if you're cagey, but Afterburners to be better adaptable (and cool synergy with pattern analyzer). Hull for a weird but inconsequential flex (um, more fanatical? Ok). Baffling a friendly lock to bonus shoot a Jedi that you have fcs and outmaneuver active on before they regen force is funny, but those shields function best as a threat that they have to overcome. Least impressive SF for munitions failsafe, unless you have prockets. Stealth device: what defensive mods do you have to keep that alive forever on a ship designed like a black card in Magic? In general, just like everything else, keep as light as possible.