Jump to content
SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, GreenDragoon said:

And the coordinate to give another ship more punch.

Of course I don't know, but I think it's worth a try.

Plus, 4Blues and Snap (who moves differently) was great with old points. Sadly they killed that list. But it worked really well

I don't run him with C-3PO (just Heroic / Optics or Heroic only) but I see your point. Could be very interesting in any Jess based list too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GreenDragoon said:

Counterpoint:

Finn is a useful trap, the same way Lulo was in previous 5A lists. Both often completely pull the focus on themselves and give the others the necessary space to zoom around. Only, unlike Lulo, Finn is a defensive monster. He also gets 3 greens, but he adds a focus result and that gives him a guaranteed evade. C3PO means he gets it for two shots per turn.

but he can't run the way that lulo does. I'm not arguing how tanky or good he is, just that you have to fly the list differently. Tanky Finn soaking up shots, still has to soak up shots in the general area that the first engage happens. Lulo can get shot at the GTFO, forcing the opponent to choose between trying to chase down an a-wing or pivot to another pilot.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, jagsba said:

but he can't run the way that lulo does. I'm not arguing how tanky or good he is, just that you have to fly the list differently. Tanky Finn soaking up shots, still has to soak up shots in the general area that the first engage happens. Lulo can get shot at the GTFO, forcing the opponent to choose between trying to chase down an a-wing or pivot to another pilot.

My point was that they can fill a similar function.

However, I've played a game with him in the meantime, and you are correct. The dial and lack of boost is more important than the functional role he plays and which is somewhat similar to Lulo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, faction specific prizes are clearly where they're headed, which is awesome.  Poll time!  What faction are you going to play at tournaments with faction specific prizes?

https://strawpoll.com/cy3d11gf

Follow up question - are you playing that faction because you think they're the best faction? Or do you just want the prizes for that faction? (e.g. I'm a rebel player so I want the rebel prizes).

https://strawpoll.com/pc7efsbc

 

...I think I might actually be a specific faction player now, or maybe just for one or two factions.  Is this what being a casual feels like?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I won the faction damage deck for resistance top 4 at UK nationals. The number of Resistance players in that tournament is neither here, nor there.  

Knowing that faction prizes were a thing definitely altered my faction choice. I didn't think resistance would be as far down the pecking order as it ended up ... but I am glad it did, as now I have $40 of @Rytackle's money, and a sweet damage deck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Dreadai said:

I won the faction damage deck for resistance top 4 at UK nationals. The number of Resistance players in that tournament is neither here, nor there.  

Knowing that faction prizes were a thing definitely altered my faction choice. I didn't think resistance would be as far down the pecking order as it ended up ... but I am glad it did, as now I have $40 of @Rytackle's money, and a sweet damage deck.

T O P 4

O

P

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The poll seriously lack the "I'll play whatever list would be more broken (while still being fun) among those 3-4 factions I'm most familiar with (while still being open to buy in one I'm not familiar with if a list is particularly broken and funny)" option

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Ablazoned said:

I'm willing to pay the golden price for any Gencon dials covers from scum, resistance, or CIS.  I chose Nova this year and I feel like that was a mistake now...

On the plus side, you probably chose the right factions to pay the gold price for

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ablazoned said:

I'm willing to pay the golden price for any Gencon dials covers from scum, resistance, or CIS.  I chose Nova this year and I feel like that was a mistake now...

Same. I know who will be top1 resistance in Krakow (hi @kenoslaw) but maaaaaybeeee there will be something left for me in top2-4. I keep playing the 5As and I somehow win quite often. But all my games feel like me getting really lucky. Hopefully I'll get some of that luck in August because I really want those 5 (perfect!!) resistance dials

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

Same. I know who will be top1 resistance in Krakow (hi @kenoslaw) but maaaaaybeeee there will be something left for me in top2-4. I keep playing the 5As and I somehow win quite often. But all my games feel like me getting really lucky. Hopefully I'll get some of that luck in August because I really want those 5 (perfect!!) resistance dials

I think there will be a shitton of rey competing with Ken's 5a for that prize

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Brunas said:

On the plus side, you probably chose the right factions to pay the gold price for

Maybe.  I mean, aren't the tryhardy, top players going to play the good factions instead?  I expect those sorts of players more often sell their stuff.  Mid-tier snowflakes like me tend to keep our few cool prizes as tokens of our performance, so I expect anyone who flies cis or scum will be less willing to part with their swaf.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

What is wrong with you?!?!?!

To be fair (to me?), I've owned five since release, but have never played more than three at a time due to my Poe/snowflake/architect tendencies (prioritized in order of personal importance).  That may change.

15 minutes ago, Brunas said:

On the plus side, you probably chose the right factions to pay the gold price for

Sad-reacted because muh Resistance, but maybe that's okay because it's easier to clamber atop a smaller hill.

16 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

Same. I know who will be top1 resistance in Krakow (hi @kenoslaw) but maaaaaybeeee there will be something left for me in top2-4. I keep playing the 5As and I somehow win quite often. But all my games feel like me getting really lucky. Hopefully I'll get some of that luck in August because I really want those 5 (perfect!!) resistance dials

Should I actually be trying 5A?  Does it seem like the top of the (currently known) Resistance?  I still can't get a read.

12 minutes ago, Sunitsa said:

I think there will be a shitton of rey competing with Ken's 5a for that prize

Do tell.

4 minutes ago, Ablazoned said:

Maybe.  I mean, aren't the tryhardy, top players going to play the good factions instead?  I expect those sorts of players more often sell their stuff.  Mid-tier snowflakes like me tend to keep our few cool prizes as tokens of our performance, so I expect anyone who flies cis or scum will be less willing to part with their swaf.

This rings true.  I'm going for the GenCon, but playing for the Resistance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, gennataos said:

Should I actually be trying 5A?  Does it seem like the top of the (currently known) Resistance?  I still can't get a read.

So what else is there?

  • 4X
    • Don't see it as better tbh
  • 3X
    • Maybe? That wasn't a thing in quite some time, and I don't think the 655 are now good enough. They are ok and could get far, but not  better than 5A
  • 3X 1A
    • That list is super fun but imo clearly worse, both variations (Poe or not Poe)
  • 2X 2A // Resi5tance
    • Time over for those guys. The i6 tax is not large enough to push them (=i6 of other factions) out, and that means I don't see them (=2X2A) coming back
  • 2X 1A
    • Same as 3X.
  • 1X 3A // Dangerzone (is that the one?)
    • They lost Lulo, and I don't see Tallie Greer Zari as good enough
      • e: did they lose Lulo? Or just a bid? How important was the bid? If important, did it lose the HLC?
  • 1X 4A is dead
  • Something with YT1300s
    • no clue tbh. Help, @Sunitsa? Rey apparently?
  • InVenniecible
    • I never saw it as that good, and it seems to be at max decent, but not top.
  • Ideas with the transport pod or transport? I don't know, I can see them replacing an A or even an X in the above lists. But Leia seems too expensive, and the other crew... meh. Korrsella on Rey could be nice, but token juggling with Holdo or Larma Dacy seem too gimicky to do well.

What am I missing?

Edited by GreenDragoon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

So what else is there?

  • 4X
    • Don't see it as better tbh
  • 3X
    • Maybe? That wasn't a thing in quite some time, and I don't think the 655 are now good enough. They are ok and could get far, but not  better than 5A
  • 3X 1A
    • That list is super fun but imo clearly worse, both variations (Poe or not Poe)
  • 2X 2A // Resi5tance
    • Time over for those guys. The i6 tax is not large enough to push them out, and that means I don't see them coming back
  • 2X 1A
    • Same as 3X.
  • 1X 3A // Dangerzone (is that the one?)
    • They lost Lulo, and I don't see Tallie Greer Zari as good enough
  • 1X 4A is dead
  • Something with YT1300s
    • no clue tbh. Help, @Sunitsa? Rey apparently?
  • InVenniecible
    • I never saw it as that good, and it seems to be at max decent, but not top.
  • Ideas with the transport pod or transport? I don't know, I can see them replacing an A or even an X in the above lists. But Leia seems too expensive, and the other crew... meh. Korrsella on Rey could be nice, but token juggling with Holdo or Larma Dacy seem too gimicky to do well.

What am I missing?

I agree with most of this.  The unknowns are what makes me really wonder, but I had asked about the knows.  I don't think Leia is too expensive.  She lends a hand in unexpected circumstances and turns a transport into a toolbox.  I agree about the Rube Goldberg machines that will be built with the rest of the Resistance crew, more work than I'm willing to engage in.  Leia, though, she an easy add and can feel borderline broken.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

What am I missing?

Resistance Pods/Transports. Specifically  Vi Moradi, Finn (either with C3PO), Nodin, or Cova. I know it's hard to tell how they'll do in the meta at this point, but I can tell you, they compliment T70s and certain AWings (Greer because less likely to be stressed) very well. IMO they only do so much for Falcons because big base goes fast and I'm not convince on starfortresses yet either. Something like 3X + Vi or Finn, XXA + Transport, or PoeAA + Transport seems like they can do work. 

Edited by RStan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RStan said:

Something like 3X + Vi or Finn, XXA + Transport, or XAA + Transport seems like they can do work. 

Yes, that's what I had in mind with replacing an X or A. But... is it better? And for me more importantly, is it better for me? 2.0 feels quite good with list strenghts, and I am doubting that such lists bring a large enough advantage to compensate the lack of experience with it compared to the by now pretty large experience with 5As. Of course you can't really answer that, but I'm sure you know what I mean.

But on the other hand, several lists I mentioned feel also ok enough so that someone very familiar with those should give them a try in the new meta. XAAA, XXA, XXAA or some new version with a transport/pod as replacement could be good enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

@GreenDragoon I think those transports/pods are definitely worth exploring, but it totally makes sense to stick with what you know when it comes to preparing for an event if you don't feel like you have enough time or experience with new things. It is hard to tell if it's better until you put it on the table. I didn't expect Nodin w/ Korr Sella and R4 Astromech to do much more than coordinate and get a focus to help contribute offense at the same time...until it got into range one of the enemy ships and found out how annoying/effective coordinating AND jamming in the same turn is for enemy ships. Turns out it's hard to shake a ship with blue 2 turns that has a range 1 bubble around it of "you don't get tokens this turn" unless you disengage hard. 

Edited by RStan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...