SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

1 hour ago, Tlfj200 said:

Man... that's like 5-6 beers in? We then went out drinking afterwards, and the bartender actually cut me off!

Apparently I was screaming "AGENCY" too loud or something (real story)? I wasn't even that drunk at the time...

I know, I was there drinking with you... Great times! 

I had to leave early for a flight, otherwise I'm sure I would have been cut off with you. I still don't remember boarding the plane. Brysan is the only reason I got home, and he was also blitzed, but more of a functioning alcoholic.

1 hour ago, Biophysical said:

I'll maintain my non-scientific stance that BB8 Poe is better than he's typically given credit for, but he's trying to win using methods that Rebels aren't typically equipped for, and so it's almost certain that the standard "plot armor" mindset results in a ton of losses with him.  Most Rebel affiliated players that were weaned on regen and turrets don't know what to do with him, and Imperial or agnostic players that prefer arcs and positioning have already gravitated to the faction that scratches that itch.

I would both agree with that assertion and make the followup that those players have gravitated in that direction for a very good reason, especially since the release of the Silencer. BB8 Poe suffers not from an absolute lack of value but from a relative one when compared to the outstandingly efficient R2D2 Poe. He suffers the same fate when compared to Kylo.

If playing Poe is your number one priority then R2D2 Poe is the best Poe

If playing a nimble high PS pre move multi action arc dodger that can take a few hits is your number one priority then Kylo is the best Poe

3 hours ago, catachanninja said:

Problem is soontir is a better mathmatecial than say 2 b wings, and a fat turret covers more ground off its boost than soontir does, plus since it doesn't need arc to shoot it can focus on avoiding shots

I didn’t mean to imply those ships were all equally good at things or even better at things, but joust flank and run are three decent categories of describing a ship’s movement in a specific turn. It roughly corresponds to jouster, arc dodger, and turret but because it is describing verbs and not nouns we don’t have to try to put ships in specific categories. 

6 minutes ago, AEIllingworth said:

I didn’t mean to imply those ships were all equally good at things or even better at things, but joust flank and run are three decent categories of describing a ship’s movement in a specific turn. It roughly corresponds to jouster, arc dodger, and turret but because it is describing verbs and not nouns we don’t have to try to put ships in specific categories. 

Show me an arc dodger thats seen play since wave 5 and I'll show you a ship that's an efficent jouster. 

So honest talk. What is the difference from a Poe that takes one damage when you shoot at him and the recovers it the next turn, and Sontir who takes no damage when you shoot at him? Both don't die. That is their win condition. Or perhaps Kylo who you just don't actually get to shoot because he has boost barrel roll 5 forward without keeping stress. All of these ships get to the end game and don't die.

Why is regenerating worse than not taking damage?

33 minutes ago, willow560 said:

So honest talk. What is the difference from a Poe that takes one damage when you shoot at him and the recovers it the next turn, and Sontir who takes no damage when you shoot at him? Both don't die. That is their win condition. Or perhaps Kylo who you just don't actually get to shoot because he has boost barrel roll 5 forward without keeping stress. All of these ships get to the end game and don't die.

One is in palp aces so its fine, and the other is good against palp aces so its basically a warcrime.

Edited by catachanninja

1 hour ago, AEIllingworth said:

The whole **** point is that it’s not describing a ship. I like you a lot, but sometimes...

No one ever said I was a good listener ;). I get what your attempting to do but i think that simple classifications don't always do justice to the ships. You mentioned flanker as a replacement term, but what ship in the game doesn't excel if it's allowed flank unimpeded?

38 minutes ago, willow560 said:

They're not - I think you're accidentally making a false equivalency. 

Untouchable soontir was a problem. Adv sensors Kylo is likely a problem (though the best part of the silencer is specifically that it lacks the evade action).

And being able to take 9+ damage a game is also a problem. 

As for soontir - he was sadly balanced with low hp. In this case, I'm happy to see him phased out entirely.

15 minutes ago, Tlfj200 said:

They're not - I think you're accidentally making a false equivalency. 

Untouchable soontir was a problem. Adv sensors Kylo is likely a problem (though the best part of the silencer is specifically that it lacks the evade action).

And being able to take 9+ damage a game is also a problem. 

As for soontir - he was sadly balanced with low hp. In this case, I'm happy to see him phased out entirely.

I wasn't trying to say they are the same. I am trying to point out that there are things that simply take advantage of the rules by running out the clock. They do it differently and have different strengths and weaknesses. But at the end of the day, you can win by having more points on the table at the end of the game. This is a fundamental core of the game, and has been since the first person put R2D2 on Luke Skywalker.

52 minutes ago, catachanninja said:

No one ever said I was a good listener ;). I get what your attempting to do but i think that simple classifications don't always do justice to the ships. You mentioned flanker as a replacement term, but what ship in the game doesn't excel if it's allowed flank unimpeded?

Nah, flanker is still a noun. All ships can flank (verb) like you say. Some ships you should probably try to set that up, which loosely get categorized as arc dodgers, but all ships can fill all roles. Some are just better at them than others. B-wings are terrible at running or kiting, for example. Turrets tend to be good at that, but they can also flank and some (Rey, Dengar) can joust. 

Edit: I’m not trying to just rename the categories that we agree are bad. I’m pretty sure we are agreeing here. But I’m convinced the three pillars are useful to describe what a ship is currently doing, if not so much what it is. 

Edited by AEIllingworth

I’ve been reflecting on dash - I think we’re overlooking another aspect to dash specifically: he’s fun to move around.

The yt-1300 is really maneuverable with engine (boost and barrel roll) and has a really open dial. I recall I technically first tried to play dash when I started, and was immediately enamored with ‘all the things I could do’.

separate from a turret with a crazy ability, he can simply be fun to move around. ?Heck?, that’s a large reason I love whisper and kylo.

Edited by Tlfj200
H E double hockey sticks

9 hours ago, catachanninja said:

Almost every ship is better while flanking, that's not the issue.  It's how much better some ships are while flanking. 

Fan Han is a bit better while flanking.  Being able to Focus makes his (already pretty good) odds of getting 3 hits a bit higher.  

Pure Sabacc is massively better while flanking.  He's not taking shots, and his one action can be more reliably used to drive a powerful offense.  Additionally, his time on target goes way up, because he doesn't have to turn around to get guns back on target.  

These are two extremes, but there's an obvious difference. 

3 minutes ago, Brunas said:

I seem to be getting less reactions to pass out every day.  All I want to do is click hearts :(

They're jealous! They're holding me back!

Try using other reactions.  Or is it limit on all of them total?  Because if so, that's dumb.  No one really cares about forum points.

3 minutes ago, Brunas said:

I seem to be getting less reactions to pass out every day.  All I want to do is click hearts :(

They're jealous! They're holding me back!

If you just quoted every post you like, and then typed your preferred reaction under the quote, you could both express your feelings and inflate the thread's post count.

3 minutes ago, Do I need a Username said:

Try using other reactions.  Or is it limit on all of them total?  Because if so, that's dumb.  No one really cares about forum points.

Not to be too Madden about it but, you can't win the internet without scoring internet points

3 hours ago, Tlfj200 said:

I’ve been reflecting on dash - I think we’re overlooking another aspect to dash specifically: he’s fun to move around.

The yt-1300 is really maneuverable with engine (boost and barrel roll) and has a really open dial. I recall I technically first tried to play dash when I started, and was immediately enamored with ‘all the things I could do’.

separate from a turret with a crazy ability, he can simply be fun to move around. ?Heck?, that’s a large reason I love whisper and kylo.

You started playing in 2015, right?  That was after they changed the barrel roll rule.  Dash before that change was even more crazy.  He had even more range control then.

Just now, viedit said:

You started playing in 2015, right?  That was after they changed the barrel roll rule.  Dash before that change was even more crazy.  He had even more range control then.

effectively jan 2016, but yet.

I never knew the old BR rules, or old decloak... (or non-half-points on big based ships).