SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

I was thinking of listener 4 recently... since the lines between the pillars are so blurred now (fat turret vs jouster vs arc-dodger) would it be better to start addressing ship builds  similar to how LCG/CCG decks are classified?

ie: 

Aggro

Combo

Mid-range

Control

1 hour ago, Jeff Wilder said:

I gotta say, I find it hilarious that y'all are celebrating Large-ship Boost (the dude who made cut at Regionals) as "wholesome."  Large-ship Boost is so broken the tournament rules were changed because of it.  (Namely, half-MoV on Large ships.)

That said, by JM5K/Nymranda standards ... it sort of is wholesome.  Jesus.

I've privately reflected on and been amused. In wave 3 or 4 the rey build I've been playing would probabaly burn the game down with how disgusting it is. Now it just seems fair and good. Tie swarm was the first time I noticed that phenomenon. Apparently in x wing you can live long enough to see yourself become the hero.

Just now, Wiredin said:

I was thinking of listener 4 recently... since the lines between the pillars are so blurred now (fat turret vs jouster vs arc-dodger) would it be better to start addressing ship builds  similar to how LCG/CCG decks are classified?

ie: 

Aggro

Combo

Mid-range

Control

The secret is that the pillars have always been bad descriptors.

34 minutes ago, Brunas said:

We may have described it poorly it if it came off as wholesome, because we all know boost on large bases is super dumb.  The point was that he chose to play what had a lower floor but higher ceiling and got gud.  Countermeasures saves you from a harpoon once, good play and engine upgrade does it every turn basically.

I wasn't clear, my bad.  I wasn't criticizing you guys ... I literally find it hilarious that adding Large-Boost is now wholesome.  By comparison.

2 minutes ago, catachanninja said:

you're not wrong.

The other issue I'm finding with the pillars or list archetype is that the game is based around 2 basic win conditions: kill everything, or be left with more points at the end of the day.

Miranda is good at both... stupidly good at both... but could fall into any slot from Aggro to Control.

4 minutes ago, catachanninja said:

The pillars are better for describing flying styles than lists, I think. Joust, flank, Run. Ships can do different things turn to turn, but Soontir flanks and runs, b-wings joust, miranda does everything. 

1 minute ago, AEIllingworth said:

The pillars are better for describing flying styles than lists, I think. Joust, flank, Run. Ships can do different things turn to turn, but Soontir flanks and runs, b-wings joust, miranda does everything. 

What are the pillars? Never heard of the term...

Turrets, Bombs, Aces?

40 minutes ago, Tlfj200 said:

FSR played correctly did not feel that way, trust me.

I mean, you were right about it feeling like a rebel ship, I was just giving you a hard time because in reality, it feels like an old rebel ship.

FSR 2 played correctly didn't feel that way. FSR 1 was designed to be jousty punch facey to beat jumpmasters, the correct play of not playing isn't the rebel's fault, if final salvo was around when 4BZ was good, it probably would employ the same 'I got more dice than you' strategy that FSR does.

10 minutes ago, AEIllingworth said:

Problem is soontir is a better mathmatecial than say 2 b wings, and a fat turret covers more ground off its boost than soontir does, plus since it doesn't need arc to shoot it can focus on avoiding shots

6 minutes ago, catachanninja said:

Problem is soontir is a better mathmatecial than say 2 b wings, and a fat turret covers more ground off its boost than soontir does, plus since it doesn't need arc to shoot it can focus on avoiding shots

BUT SOONTIR IS AN ARC SO IT'S FINE AND BALANCED!!!!!

I mean... are we SUUUUURE large base boost is a problem? Or is it just another biproduct of how stupid non-fixed arc ships are?

What is the most egregious large base boosting offender that doesn’t have a mobile arc or turret? Brobots??

Holy crap. There really are like, no large base ships that only have a front arc, are there? Guess my argument is invalid because every large base is stupid..?

3 minutes ago, Kdubb said:

Holy crap. There really are like, no large base ships that only have a front arc, are there? Guess my argument is invalid because every large base is stupid..?

Lambda?  Upsilon?

Just now, Crit Happens said:

This is still my favourite thing.

Man... that's like 5-6 beers in? We then went out drinking afterwards, and the bartender actually cut me off!

Apparently I was screaming "AGENCY" too loud or something (real story)? I wasn't even that drunk at the time...

2 minutes ago, Kdubb said:

What are those?

But ya there is also the uwing and yv-666 (with a 180).

ya. None of those are doing ****.

The u wing and the upsilon are the standouts here. They've got access to white 2 hards and at least ok dials, that they haven't done anything with them is probably telling of just how good the dials on those other ships are. Even firesprays have made good use of engine at times.

3 minutes ago, Tlfj200 said:

I didn't create such an abomination of a URL.

54 minutes ago, Jeff Wilder said:

I wasn't clear, my bad.  I wasn't criticizing you guys ... I literally find it hilarious that adding Large-Boost is now wholesome.  By comparison.

Haha, what a world.  I was playing VI/Engine RAC last night and laughing at the exact same thing - Help, there's so many 180 degree arcs everywhere and not even large base boost will save me at no agility!

I finally finished the episode.  Can I play the "my first dice" game too?

I'll maintain my non-scientific stance that BB8 Poe is better than he's typically given credit for, but he's trying to win using methods that Rebels aren't typically equipped for, and so it's almost certain that the standard "plot armor" mindset results in a ton of losses with him.  Most Rebel affiliated players that were weaned on regen and turrets don't know what to do with him, and Imperial or agnostic players that prefer arcs and positioning have already gravitated to the faction that scratches that itch.

1 minute ago, Biophysical said:

I finally finished the episode.  Can I play the "my first dice" game too?

I'll maintain my non-scientific stance that BB8 Poe is better than he's typically given credit for, but he's trying to win using methods that Rebels aren't typically equipped for, and so it's almost certain that the standard "plot armor" mindset results in a ton of losses with him.  Most Rebel affiliated players that were weaned on regen and turrets don't know what to do with him, and Imperial or agnostic players that prefer arcs and positioning have already gravitated to the faction that scratches that itch.

That’s probably more true than either of our assertions.