SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

50 minutes ago, Tlfj200 said:

And also this. I suspect many people miss often (****, the selecting the correct speed is actually incredibly advanced, and I still struggle with it, particularly when using a new squad.

I got some advice on this a long time ago and I thiiink it was brad Miller on mynock who said it. When you're starting with a new squad try going as fast as possible and slow down from there or as slow as possible and speed up. This really really clicked for me watching Jerry play fsr at worlds. I always tried to predict where the combat would happen after setup, but didn't spend as much time thinking about making it happen where I wanted it to. 

I gotta say, I find it hilarious that y'all are celebrating Large-ship Boost (the dude who made cut at Regionals) as "wholesome."  Large-ship Boost is so broken the tournament rules were changed because of it.  (Namely, half-MoV on Large ships.)

That said, by JM5K/Nymranda standards ... it sort of is wholesome.  Jesus.

7 minutes ago, jagsba said:

gunboats aren't rebel ships pretending to be imperials.

definitely not jousters with low to middling agility that are just trying to out trade damage with an enemy.

It’s not like Gunboats joust, and say, “I took a bunch of damage, I’ll run away and just come back later” like many ships from the Rebel faction.

8 minutes ago, Jeff Wilder said:

I gotta say, I find it hilarious that y'all are celebrating Large-ship Boost (the dude who made cut at Regionals) as "wholesome."  Large-ship Boost is so broken the tournament rules were changed because of it.  (Namely, half-MoV on Large ships.)

We just said that people don't have to sit and take harpoons with their big fat turrets.

I wish we hadn't bothered.

Just now, Tbetts94 said:

It’s not like Gunboats joust, and say, “I took a bunch of damage, I’ll run away and just come back later” like many ships from the Rebel faction.

10 minutes ago, jagsba said:

gunboats aren't rebel ships pretending to be imperials.

definitely not jousters with low to middling agility that are just trying to out trade damage with an enemy.

The fun part is, they don't regenerate... so that damage sticks.

They also don't shoot outside of of their primary arc.

What's the last competitive rebel ship you remember that didn't do one of those those two?

1 minute ago, Tlfj200 said:

What's the last competitive rebel ship you remember that didn't do one of those those two?

Biggs

Edit: He’s worse than both of those though lol

Edited by Tbetts94

2 minutes ago, Tlfj200 said:

Poe!

i rest my (incredibly handsome) case. 

Edited by Dreadai

Listening to the latest episode, I didn't realize that most of you guys had missed out on the jousting era. I started playing in the era of pre-nerf Whisper and Fat Han but thankfully my meta was super wholesome, like a little tide pool in an ocean of oppressive lists. I was able to run basic rebel jousters and learn the fundamentals while still doing well. Experience flying low PS ships with firing arcs, no action economy and no repositioning really pushed me to be a better player. You have to learn to "see the matrix" and learn timing, spacing, board control, etc. with those sort of lists. I don't really know how newer players are supposed to get that sort of experience now so they can build those skills? I tried running a list in that style a few months back for a store kit tournament and had the worst finish I've experienced since I started playing.

1 minute ago, Tlfj200 said:

Jess Pava? Although much like FSR in general, she's worth more as part of of an overall squad than she is by herself.  

3 minutes ago, Transmogrifier said:

Listening to the latest episode, I didn't realize that most of you guys had missed out on the jousting era. I started playing in the era of pre-nerf Whisper and Fat Han but thankfully my meta was super wholesome, like a little tide pool in an ocean of oppressive lists. I was able to run basic rebel jousters and learn the fundamentals while still doing well. Experience flying low PS ships with firing arcs, no action economy and no repositioning really pushed me to be a better player. You have to learn to "see the matrix" and learn timing, spacing, board control, etc. with those sort of lists. I don't really know how newer players are supposed to get that sort of experience now so they can build those skills? I tried running a list in that style a few months back for a store kit tournament and had the worst finish I've experienced since I started playing.

Yeah, Chris, Nam-My and I started basically after 2015 worlds.

I think everyone else has been around for the long haul.

3 minutes ago, viedit said:

If you aren't regen Poe you are doing it wrong.  :P

FAA Poe made top 8 at a Swedish regional last weekend. BB-8 Poe regularly makes good showings. 

I’m pretty sure Regen Poe is better in almost all ways, but he’s still a super competitive ship without regen. 

Edited by Dreadai

Just now, Dreadai said:

FAA Poe made top 8 at a Swedish regional last weekend. BB-8 Poe regularly makes good showings. 

I'm much less sure the word "regularly" fit. "Occasionally" is probably more apt.

And I'm going to stick by that, no, non-regen poe really isn't that competitive. I know Europe will be up with pitchforks by that statement...

5 minutes ago, Tlfj200 said:

There we go, we found one.

Although, she's basically only been okay next to lowhrick, or Rex. But I'll take it!

Rex does also qualify, (as well as Biggs). But I get your point.

The starwing playstyle feels similar to when @catachanninja waxes poetical about trading health for positioning. It's not an imperial playstyle, it's a rebel playstyle, the rebels just don't have the ships that can do it right now*.

*arguably FSR and wookiees have a similar feel but muh extra arcs!

Just now, jagsba said:

Rex does also qualify, (as well as Biggs). But I get your point.

The starwing playstyle feels similar to when @catachanninja waxes poetical about trading health for positioning. It's not an imperial playstyle, it's a rebel playstyle, the rebels just don't have the ships that can do it right now*.

*arguably FSR and wookiees have a similar feel but muh extra arcs!

FSR played correctly did not feel that way, trust me.

I mean, you were right about it feeling like a rebel ship, I was just giving you a hard time because in reality, it feels like an old rebel ship.

29 minutes ago, Jeff Wilder said:

We may have described it poorly it if it came off as wholesome, because we all know boost on large bases is super dumb.  The point was that he chose to play what had a lower floor but higher ceiling and got gud.  Countermeasures saves you from a harpoon once, good play and engine upgrade does it every turn basically.

17 minutes ago, Tlfj200 said:

Yeah, Chris, Nam-My and I started basically after 2015 worlds.

I think everyone else has been around for the long haul.

Hearing this and listening to the podcast helps me understand why I connect so well with you guys. This was also when I started playing. Wave 7 meta right after the TFA core set but before OL. And just like all of you guys, my first list was double regen + stresshog. My first tournament was a Store Championship and I decided to take the safe bet and bring regen Poe, regen Red Ace, and a stresshog. Finished 3-2 having never played the list before. I had fun winning, but I didn't have much fun with the actual list. Switched to Imperial after that and pretty much never looked back. Not really because I liked the aesthetic more, but because it fit my playstyle better.

15 minutes ago, Tlfj200 said:

And I'm going to stick by that, no, non-regen poe really isn't that competitive. I know Europe will be up with pitchforks by that statement...

So like, you know we kind of invented automation and Amish isn’t a thing here. We are more likely to come at you with combine harvesters and wood chippers.