SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Kieransi said:

Maybe this is stupid but I don't really mind all the action/dial casual stuff as long as people are required to pay for it. 

X-Wing was never advertised as a high-complexity game and I think there's a lot of people who would rather just not have to think too hard to play the game. I know I have nights like that. The social element of X-Wing is huge and there's a lot of times I'll show up at a game night with not a lot of mental energy for the game but still want to participate with my friends. 

So yeah, anyway, if I can have a dial-casual list but it's sort of overpriced, that feels fine to me.  Supernatural Reflexes and Luke Gunner feel like things that fit in this category. I'm hesitant to use the term "training wheels" because I've always found that patronizing. I don't mean any of this offensively, I honestly think this counts as a playstyle. 

Completely reasonable. Main thing I find interesting is where people draw the line on "movement/passive mechanics that take it to far". Lots of players put Supernatural and Inert Han in that category. 
The other stuff in the middle ground seems to fly under the radar a bit and is considered just a minor point cost item, even if its gradually becoming expected functionality for relevant things. 

Edited by Boom Owl

4 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

Completely reasonable. Main thing I find interesting is where people draw the line on "movement/passive mechanics that take it to far". Lots of players put Supernatural and Inert Han in that category. 
The other stuff in the middle ground seems to fly under the radar a bit and is considered just a minor point cost item, even if its gradually becoming expected functionality for relevant things. 

It's hard to price Jedi's cheats highly enough without killing the Republic faction. Leia and dust clouds are FFG's self-owns, comparatively.

Someone talk me out of flying this at the Hyperspace trial this weekend 

Darth Vader (65)    
    Supernatural Reflexes (32)    
    Collision Detector (6)    
    Afterburners (6)    

Ship total: 109  Half Points: 55  Threshold: 3    

Soontir Fel (52)    
    Juke (5)    
    Hull Upgrade (7)    
    Shield Upgrade (8)    

Ship total: 72  Half Points: 36  Threshold: 3    

Total: 181    

2 minutes ago, Kieransi said:

Darth Vader (65)    
    Collision Detector (6)    
    Afterburners (6)    

Soontir Fel (52)    
    Juke (5)    
    Hull Upgrade (7)    
    Shield Upgrade (8)    

Give Fel Lone Wolf.

1 minute ago, Biophysical said:

Give Fel Lone Wolf.

That's not talking me out of it lmao!!!

thanks for the advice, probably gonna fly this actually. 

UXXYY is my other option but all it can do is joust and I lose the joust to BBUX 70% of the time and lose the joust to Inferno Squad 90% of the time so I'm kinda feeling out on that. 

1 minute ago, Brunas said:

also drop the shield upgrade, just take lone wolf and stealth and refuse to play with him, he's not there to shoot things.  If he takes two he's half pointsed anyways, so the shield isn't helping.

Yeah this was @Kaptin Krunch's build for Soontir... the shield and hull upgrades make him have a threshold of three and Juketir can be surprisingly punchy. But maybe my win condition here is more 

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a5d0d31316356664851

than it is 

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a5d0d31716156502f6f

so I think you might be right 

7 minutes ago, Brunas said:

also drop the shield upgrade, just take lone wolf and stealth and refuse to play with him, he's not there to shoot things.  If he takes two he's half pointsed anyways, so the shield isn't helping.

Drop Stealth for Hull and you have beefy Soontir who really takes a lot of work to kill. It's not "full flight" Soontir, but it means you can play a little bit and attack with him on occasion to get stuff off the board.  

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Kieransi said:

Darth Vader (65)    
    Collision Detector (6)    
    Afterburners (6)    

Soontir Fel (52)    
    Juke (5)    
    Hull Upgrade (7)    
    Shield Upgrade (8)    

You have an HST this weekend? Dang, I thought we were at a bit of offseason until next month for season 2.

Edited by player3010587

Posted (edited)

There might be an argument for FCS on Vader to help conserve force usage, since you don’t have Hate.

Only the most courageous of pilots would fly such bold list.  I tip my hat to you.

Edited by Phelan Boots

46 minutes ago, Kieransi said:

Darth Vader (65)    
    Collision Detector (6)    
    Afterburners (6)    

Soontir Fel (52)    
    Juke (5)    
    Hull Upgrade (7)    
    Shield Upgrade (8)    

No prockets on Vader? 

3 minutes ago, Caduceus01 said:

No prockets on Vader? 

I'd go Ion missles for the occasional big ship you wanna tear in half the turn after.  Or just to mess with formations.

38 minutes ago, player3010587 said:

You have an HST this weekend? Dang, I thought we were at a bit of offseason until next month for season 2.

Yeah last one of the season! Hype. Also same weekend as a giant car show, so if I lose fast I can go check out hotrods the second day. so there's really no way to lose! :D 

6 minutes ago, Caduceus01 said:

No prockets on Vader? 

I want more bid. #tinyeuropeancoloradometa

1 minute ago, Jyico said:

I'd go Ion missles for the occasional big ship you wanna tear in half the turn after.  Or just to mess with formations.

Collision detector Vader can go anywhere he wants especially with SNR so you shouldn’t have any problems getting the prockets off and he hits like a truck with them.

1 minute ago, Caduceus01 said:

Collision detector Vader can go anywhere he wants especially with SNR so you shouldn’t have any problems getting the prockets off and he hits like a truck with them.

I absolute agree!  I've found in our meta that busting up formation flying or Cassian (maybe twice) and hitting with 4 dice the turn after is a bit better than a single 5 die once shot.  Or even threatening to do it will force people to fly differently, where they wouldn't necessarily if Vader only had a one time one die bonus.  

36 minutes ago, Brunas said:

You definitely want collision detector for the other random upside - you can always roll onto obstacles, even when you don't have any charges or don't spend one. Just being able to roll onto gas clouds and ignore shots for a turn is a pretty good strategy.

You have no idea how long I ignored that first part of the card text. Reading kids, it's fundamental. 

51 minutes ago, Jyico said:

I absolute agree!  I've found in our meta that busting up formation flying or Cassian (maybe twice) and hitting with 4 dice the turn after is a bit better than a single 5 die once shot.  Or even threatening to do it will force people to fly differently, where they wouldn't necessarily if Vader only had a one time one die bonus.  

My issue with Ion torps is just how unreliable it is. If you are shooting it at a large ship it will take 4 hits to Ion them so the extra 3 damage is almost always better but if it works for you then go for it.

1 hour ago, Brunas said:

once you switch to stealth device from one it is, lol

Presuming people would play Stealth device instead of Hull Upgrade since 1997.

3 hours ago, Jyico said:

Ion Missiles are strangely powerful (Or at least, were last time I tried them).  Your opponent wins through dial / action selection.  What if you got to do that for them?