SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

57 minutes ago, AEIllingworth said:

Also, mystery solved. Posts with profanity that got missed by the filter got deleted. Stick to “poop-posting”.

What about posts that quoted those posts?  Did the quotes get removed?  HAve we lost content?  Also, I think that confirms that we made a real human mod read through this entire thread.  To that individual: I am sorry.

7 minutes ago, Do I need a Username said:

What about posts that quoted those posts?  Did the quotes get removed?  HAve we lost content?  Also, I think that confirms that we made a real human mod read through this entire thread.  To that individual: I am sorry.

But also krayts on top

So where's a good source to watch videos of Kylo+2 Deadeye Rhos? 

I heard Australian regionals, but I can't find a link. 

I'm guessing it may have fewer "Guess I'll lose" matchups than my prior Quickdraw+2 HLC Crack Rhos, and I both want to start practicing for Adepticon, and maybe seeing if I can schedule another Regional to attend. 

6 minutes ago, Kaptin Krunch said:

So where's a good source to watch videos of Kylo+2 Deadeye Rhos? 

I heard Australian regionals, but I can't find a link. 

5 minutes ago, Velvetelvis said:

YouTube " fearless gundarks "

Queensland regionals 

Just ignore the Top 8 match. That Kylo player was an absolutely irredeemable scrub. :lol: [/self-depreciation]

Edited by DR4CO

Why are people sad that the Punisher is bad, but not the U-wing?  One is canon, the other is not.  Do people just want bombs secretly, and feel as though Imperials should also have an excellent bomber?  Is the idea that al bomers should be awful not a thought?  Am I just angry that U-wings aren't good?

27 minutes ago, Do I need a Username said:

Why are people sad that the Punisher is bad, but not the U-wing?  One is canon, the other is not.  Do people just want bombs secretly, and feel as though Imperials should also have an excellent bomber?  Is the idea that al bomers should be awful not a thought?  Am I just angry that U-wings aren't good?

U-wings sadly seem like terrible ships for a dog fighting game, along with the TIE Reaper.

Granted, the Wookie Gunship should be terrible too, buuuut

Edited by impspy

13 minutes ago, impspy said:

U-wings sadly seem like terrible ships for a dog fighting game, along with the TIE Reaper.

Granted, the Wookie Gunship should be terrible too, buuuut

The sad thing is, I don't even think I would be angry if U-wings were dominating the meta, not wookiees.

1 hour ago, Do I need a Username said:

Punisher could have been a cool ordinance platform ala the gun boat or a robust jouster ala the b wing. I think people don't trust ships with two crew slots anymore and are okay if they're bad.

Also, I didn't buy 5 u wings 

8 hours ago, catachanninja said:

Punisher could have been a cool ordinance platform ala the gun boat or a robust jouster ala the b wing. I think people don't trust ships with two crew slots anymore and are okay if they're bad.

Also, I didn't buy 5 u wings 

I get that, but do we actually want ordnance to be good?  ON some level, yes, it is nice to have arcs matter, but I would rather be using primaries and rewarding positioning a bit more.

1 minute ago, Do I need a Username said:

I get that, but do we actually want ordnance to be good?  ON some level, yes, it is nice to have arcs matter, but I would rather be using primaries and rewarding positioning a bit more.

I'd rather it be primaries as well.

40 minutes ago, Do I need a Username said:

We're probabaly well past the point of ordinance being good. That the punisher cant compete even after harpoons, lwf, and unguided rockets is kinda sad. There might be some other way to make the punisher interesting via the system slot, but i have to imagine I'm not the only one who likes those big derpy ships and bought 5 of them.

It's one of the few small-base ships I only have 1 of, along with the Rebel TIE, Silencer, Sheathipede, and Corran Horn (whatever ship he's on ;) ). Son #2 received it as a gift from my director when we picked up the habit, sorry, hobby. I've even flown it once, in a random jank tournament, and it was not bad. Having the lower PS one kept it cheap, and Duchess Decoyed him up to 8 to shoot, so he shot those harpoons at PS8.

It did fine in a random jank tournament, it probably wouldn't in even a casual one. When I started playing (late 2015), a local player was crushing everyone for a solid year with Redline and RAC. I'm pretty sure it was more a case of Redline holding him back from being even better and RAC pulling more than his weight, however.

It looks so menacing, I wish we'd see more flown.

10 minutes ago, drjkel said:

It's one of the few small-base ships I only have 1 of, along with the Rebel TIE, Silencer, Sheathipede, and Corran Horn (whatever ship he's on ;) ). Son #2 received it as a gift from my director when we picked up the habit, sorry, hobby. I've even flown it once, in a random jank tournament, and it was not bad. Having the lower PS one kept it cheap, and Duchess Decoyed him up to 8 to shoot, so he shot those harpoons at PS8.

It did fine in a random jank tournament, it probably wouldn't in even a casual one. When I started playing (late 2015), a local player was crushing everyone for a solid year with Redline and RAC. I'm pretty sure it was more a case of Redline holding him back from being even better and RAC pulling more than his weight, however.

It looks so menacing, I wish we'd see more flown.

The timing chart nerf really hurt red line who could occasionally do a bossk imitation. Pretty sure my boy @Moneyinvolved is still the best redline player in the world based of results at worlds exclusively. 

When it first came out there was a guy who used to bring Redline with FCS and cluster missiles. Before the attack timing chart each of the cluster missile attacks gave you a target lock and since he already had 2 it let him get off both shots with TL and usually 1 with TL + focus. Which was pretty nice for back then and it wrecked a lot of things.

Of course as soon as you'd played it once you knew to either burn it down or not end up range/arc and he generally died without ever getting a missile off.

9 hours ago, catachanninja said:

I like the idea of burning ordinance to add hit and/or crit results (with a cap of 2-4), coupled with some sort of Ordinance Tubes-type upgrade. Gives it a unique way to deal damage.

Edited by impspy

23 hours ago, sozin said:

Congrats ! Not even half way there boys.

''s quite simple,' said Xeno.  'Look, let's say this olive stone is an arrow and this, and this - ' he cast around aimlessly - 'and this stunned seagull is the tortoise, right?  Now, when you fire the arrow it goes from here to the seag-the tortoise, am I right?'
'I suppost so, but-'
'But, by this time the seagu- the tortoise has moved on a bit, hasn't he?  Am I right?'
'I suppose so,' said Teppic, helplessly.  Xeno gave him a look of triumph.
'So the arrow has to go a bit further, doesn't it, to where the tortoise is now.  Meanwhile the tortoise has flow- moved on, not much, I'll grant you, but it doesn't have to be much.  Am I right?  So the arrow has a bit further to go, but the point is that by the time it gets to where the tortoise is now the tortoise isn't there.  So if the tortoise keeps moving, the arrow will never hit it.  It'll keep getting closer and closer, but it'll never hit it.  QED.'

So after the listening to the cast...

I think there needs to be a discussion about how a players perception of initiative and pilot skill impacts their general view on the game and the types of ships they gravitate towards. 

Lots of players express hatred for anything that moves at PS9 or above. 

Basically turrets and bombs aren't the only answer we have to things that move last.  

There are some aspects of X-Wing that you can't really explain to someone....they kinda have to learn it the hard way ( I am still bad at basically all of it ):

• Keeping higher Pilot Skill opponents in arc with multiple ships
  • Selecting the correct speed and direction during the first couple rounds of the game before combat takes place
  • Understanding how to mess with your opponents target priority during the list building and place forces phase
  • Figuring out when there might actually be a significant advantage to splitting fire...it does happen. 
  • Knowing when to save tokens for defense & Knowing when to peace out 
  • Understanding how blocks work ( Advanced Sensors is fun no doubt...but it is definitely a problem, as are the laundry list of cards that allow dice mods without actions ) 
  • Basic ability to semi-accurately visualize an opponents Arc on the board before it completes a maneuver ( I believe this is called "Seeing the Matrix ) 

Not sure how to explain this....

But until we understand the reasons why players hate moving first with such passion and how to help them with their struggle we likely won't be able to convert more combo wingers into core box hipsters. 

Bonus Topic: Is Palp and ISTDs actually just stolen Reverse Rebel Regen tech with proper limitations? 

Edited by Boom Owl

14 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

• Keeping higher Pilot Skill opponents in arc with multiple ships

This in particular, I suspect.

The number of times I've heard soontir was unbeatable because he wasn't in arc is astounding. He was unbeatable because even when in arc, you weren't going to hit him, and he was very hard to block.

But, he can and should be in arcs. As are pretty much most aces and higher PS ships.

16 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:
  • Selecting the correct speed and direction during the first couple rounds of the game before combat takes place
  • Understanding how blocks work ( Advanced Sensors is fun no doubt...but it is definitely a problem, as are the laundry list of cards that allow dice mods without actions ) 
  • Basic ability to semi-accurately visualize an opponents Arc on the board before it completes a maneuver ( I believe this is called "Seeing the Matrix ) 

And also this. I suspect many people miss often (****, the selecting the correct speed is actually incredibly advanced, and I still struggle with it, particularly when using a new squad.