Jump to content
SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, gennataos said:

We talking about Cova Nell?  Don't assume gender!

Nah, it was Finn. That ability seems so much to be what Sunny's ability wants to be.

 

2 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

I'd probably go lean.  But do we know that Finn will have a Talent slot?  Sometimes Quickbuilds will include Talents that pilots can't normally take.  104th ARC, and some of the Obsidian TIEs, for example.

If any of the characters from TLJ deserve the heroic slot, it would be Finn and Rose, as absurd as that sounds. I guess that the main argument for sinking 8pts into a deluxe Z95 is that Vennie's ability but easier to proc is pretty good on a 2 agi ship. And the strain isn't that bad anyway. If you roll a blank on your 1 die defense, add another 1 and reroll them both! If you saved that double focus for defense in junction with heroic, then you can literally expect* 2 evades on both defensive rolls (and yes, even with the strain on the latter one). I'd have to see the gate of storms numbers once it's updated to include Finn pilot in the defense side.

 

*Yes, there are infinitismal odds where that is not going to happen, but they will be those stories shared similar to how you used Heroic/First Order Vanguard to reroll 4 blanks into 4 more blanks. We are talking about fraction of a percent.

 

Edited by player3010587

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ablazoned said:

You lose the strain after you defend...so literally no down side!

Exactly. And if you roll a focus on defense, strain yourself again. Oh no, I'm out of tokens! Just looks like I have a 3/8 chance of triggering heroic on 2 dice heaped on top of my 3/8 odds of 1 evade!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, so I did the math. I recant my statement saying that only 1 evade was sub 1%: it's actually about 2% without pre-existing strain, and then I forgot about the pre-existing strain, so you gotta watch out for it. All the same, the odds of getting 2 evades without pre-existing strain are 53% with the odds of 3 evades are 45%. That's insanely good on a chassis that will not roll 0 evades unless it swings for the fences (be that as a result of not having a focus or going high when defending when strained. Because whereas you always heroic before you strain when you still have a native 2 agi, when you are strained, the same strat takes some of the odds from getting 1 evade and spreads them to the extremes of 0 and 2 evades).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, Finn pod OP, PLZ NERF?  ;) (I know you're not saying that at all)

This pack really feels like a reboot to the entire faction.  Up to this point, from a competitive standpoint, it might as well have been a two-ship faction.

  • Filler ships (A-Wings don't count)
  • Dedicated support ships
  • Coordinate (C-3P0 doesn't count)
  • Jam (Jamming Beam doesn't count)
  • Make Falcons and Bombers viable (maybe?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LagJanson said:

Wait... why do A-wings not count as filler ships?

Maybe they do, but not for me.  I think of filler ships as "is it better to spend those points on upgrades and/or bid or another ship"?  At 32 points, that's a bigger block of points than I'd consider for that role.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, gennataos said:

Maybe they do, but not for me.  I think of filler ships as "is it better to spend those points on upgrades and/or bid or another ship"?  At 32 points, that's a bigger block of points than I'd consider for that role.

Ok, that's fair. I disagree, but can't argue that we should feel the same way about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, player3010587 said:

If you saved that double focus for defense in junction with heroic, then you can literally expect* 2 evades on both defensive rolls (and yes, even with the strain on the latter one). I'd have to see the gate of storms numbers once it's updated to include Finn pilot in the defense side.

Focus doesn't matter. As soon as Naboo joins the war, all focus tokens are calculate tokens. Sorry, not all focus tokens. Just one of them. You can just ignore the other one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, skotothalamos said:

Focus doesn't matter. As soon as Naboo joins the war, all focus tokens are calculate tokens. Sorry, not all focus tokens. Just one of them. You can just ignore the other one.

Thank God Padme is just one pilot and thus not a spammable version of Dead to Rights. That and unless she doesn't mind going slow or doing red maneuvers, her time on target won't be too bad by herself. She's still going to be nasty (see Naboo Handmaidens or @RStan's I4 Jedi Jank), but the effectivity of Finn is not going to be destroyed by 1 single faction. We have precedent for such an effect: even though Phasma is the definition of worthless when you play against Resistance, she is amazing against the other factions. By the same token, the ubiquity of a ship won't guarantee the immediate success of its counters: Death Troopers and Thannison have a difficult time making a meaningful use of their abilities on wary Republic players despite their massive effect against Rebels.

I know you're right in pointing out that we should learn how to play against Padme, but I'm too excited by Ric being a diet TIE Defender.

Edited by player3010587

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
  • Reb
    • Hope
      • A more interesting version of generic Bs become viable either via cannon scaling (3 atk pays less) or Advanced Sensor ini-scaling
      • Es become playable
    • Exp:  Some uninterestingly different version of 4-ship salad/beef continues to be the only competitive list
  • Imp
    • Hope: Defender becoming good? Bad thing to hope for I know, but Defenders are just cool
    • Exp:  Phantom Nerf
  • Scum
    • Hope: Ini-scaled Advanced Sensors could mean cool things for generic Starvipers, some interesting Brobot build
    • Exp:  No clue
  • Res
    • Hope: No broken combos, falcon + T70 becomes a (non-degenerate) thing
    • Exp: RZ2 Up
  • Fo
    • Dont know/care
  • Rep
    • Hope:  Jedi remain A-Tier somehow, but okay with 7B/R2 not being that way
    • Exp:   N-1 meta maybe but super dependant on many piece costs
      • Jedi untouched due to newness -- or -- nerf via Mace/R2/7B, with some underused pieces get a slight buff, but overall power decrease
  • CIS
    • Hope: Nantex swarm meta, my body is ready
    • Exp:  Nantex swarm meta, my body is ready
Edited by prauxim
dem typos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...