SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

6 minutes ago, Caduceus01 said:

I went 4-2 with Vultures at Atlanta SoS and they are not very good. If you don’t lose more than 1 on the opening engage and your reds don’t crap out on the ESCs they can be scary though. Basically a lot has to go really right for them to have a chance.

Also, the timing of you guys in this thread asking about if it would be reasonable to measure dice in real sample sizes had us pretty sweaty for a bit - I remember a lecture from @punkUser about bringing up the dice app fairness and where it would lead while he was still working on the physcal bits, haha.

That being said...

200px-Validated_Doomsayer(31115)_Gold.pn

I TOLD YOU THIS WAS ALL GOING TO END IN RESPONSIBLE DISCLOSURE

...the original hope was to find that the dice were pretty fine, and the dice app sucked, to get people to not use the dice app.  Ultimate self-rekt, chad Andrew.  Utterly destroyed by yourself.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Tlfj200 said:

PSA: Request a shared dice pool with your opponent.

I think you were the first person to ask me to use a shared dice pool...maybe ever? 1st Ed was a blur and I only care about 2nd Ed and that was definitely the first time in 2nd Ed. No issue, makes sense, and seems really fishy if someone says "No."

When TO/Judging local events, I've made it a secondary rule that a player may ask to use a shared dice pool, but then the opponent they asked can choose which pool is used. That way the player asking going in likely having no issue using any dice and in case the opponent being asked is uncomfortable letting someone else use/touch their dice (superstition or w/e), they can just use the dice from player that asked.

Edited by RStan

Just now, RStan said:

I think you were the first person to ask me to use a shared dice pool...maybe ever? 1st Ed was a blur and I only care about 2nd Ed and that was definitely the first time in 2nd Ed. No issue, makes sense, and seems really fishy if someone says "No."

When TO/Judging local events, I've made it a secondary rule that a player may ask to use a shared dice pool, but then the opponent they asked can choose which pool is used. That way the player asking going in likely already has no issue using any dice and in case the opponent being asked is uncomfortable letting someone else use/touch their dice (superstition or w/e), they can just use the dice from player that asked.

What's funny is, experience since KC4 has shown me that after I ask to share dice, the opponent usually asks me which I want to use.

I then inform them it's their choice - by making the request to share, they get to pick whose, for fairness. They usually stammer a bit, and pick.

What's more interesting is, I'll usually go an entire day of swiss (6 rounds), where every opponent picks their dice, or picks my dice. I've only alternated once in 6 tournament days.

11 minutes ago, Brunas said:

Also, the timing of you guys in this thread asking about if it would be reasonable to measure dice in real sample sizes had us pretty sweaty for a bit - I remember a lecture from @punkUser about bringing up the dice app fairness and where it would lead while he was still working on the physcal bits, haha.

I missed it, what is the context for you saying this?

16 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

I missed it, what is the context for you saying this?

A couple hundred pages ago, I posted (most) of the stuff from when we were checking if the dice app is fair.  Testing the dice app is dramatically easier (it took like an hour of coding and a weekend of tests) than testing physical dice, but people started talking about testing dice in here. 

saga starts here: 

when I start wondering if I've rolled more dice in a weekend than the rest of xwing players combined

51 minutes ago, Brunas said:

I TOLD YOU THIS WAS ALL GOING TO END IN RESPONSIBLE DISCLOSURE

...the original hope was to find that the dice were pretty fine, and the dice app sucked, to get people to not use the dice app.  Ultimate self-rekt, chad Andrew.  Utterly destroyed by yourself.

Sadly can confirm... he warned me many months in advance ;) Nightmare glasses are right on occasion I guess.

11 minutes ago, clanofwolves said:

It's fun to check the official Forum and see that the angst and vitriol level so low that, players, are now talking, about.... dice? variance?

Nice.

...now where's my tea? 

We're in the best timeline now, where actually important points are discussed.

Floor rules and unfair dice are so much more important than someone disliking a temporary point cost, or feeling bummed over temporary wait time to get a certain card without buying out of faction, or misunderstanding a certain faction to get insufficient attention by FFG.

But we will shortly go back to the usual, I'm sure

20 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

We're in the best timeline now, where actually important points are discussed.

Floor rules and unfair dice are so much more important than someone disliking a temporary point cost, or feeling bummed over temporary wait time to get a certain card without buying out of faction, or misunderstanding a certain faction to get insufficient attention by FFG.

But we will shortly go back to the usual, I'm sure

speaking of, rumor is floor rules are in the works

2 hours ago, Tlfj200 said:

What's funny is, experience since KC4 has shown me that after I ask to share dice, the opponent usually asks me which I want to use.

I then inform them it's their choice - by making the request to share, they get to pick whose, for fairness. They usually stammer a bit, and pick.

What's more interesting is, I'll usually go an entire day of swiss (6 rounds), where every opponent picks their dice, or picks my dice. I've only alternated once in 6 tournament days.

I pre empt it, i don't get my dice out and request to share my opponents dice. It seems to .make everyone's life easier 

37 minutes ago, catachanninja said:

I pre empt it, i don't get my dice out and request to share my opponents dice. It seems to .make everyone's life easier 

Yeah I've been doing the same and no one has really complained. Has cut down on dice whining too :)

2 hours ago, Cuz05 said:

_fingers-in-ears-la-la-la-la_

I do not want to start giving my dice the side-eye. They're fine, they're all perfectly fine.

I want to build that rig to find out how bad my green dice really are. Because I’ve rough tracked over long enough periods to find the answer is probably ‘pretty bad’.

The time you roll two evades in 40 green dice is the time you start to seriously consider your dice cursed. Especially if the game before it wasn’t much better (about 20%). These are all problems when Strikers are one of your favorite ships to fly 😉

That said I think I am going to start using shared dice pools. It’s a good idea that I’ve simply been to lazy to do. However I’ve had several games recently go very swingy with extreme dice variance. It’s gotten so bad (and, to be fair, the last game was highly swingy in my favor) that it’s left a bad taste in my mouth. I hate losing, and even winning, when it feels dice variance is the prime factor.

On a more serious note, as someone that has been playing with his oppenent dice since 2016, it sucks and totally ruin the purpose when you face people who brought 20+ dice to the game.

How are we supposed to be using the same dice if you have enough to cover the needs of 4 tables?

Just now, Sunitsa said:

On a more serious note, as someone that has been playing with his oppenent dice since 2016, it sucks and totally ruin the purpose when you face people who brought 20+ dice to the game.

How are we supposed to be using the same dice if you have enough to cover the needs of 4 tables?

It's definitely completely pointless unless you're sharing the same ~5 dice, yeah

9 minutes ago, Sunitsa said:

Bringing large dice pools and selecting different dice for each roll is already pretty shifty. In the words of the great @pheaver: "you're either cheating or stupid; both disappoint me." :)