SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

15 hours ago, Tlfj200 said:

Good note - people seem to think bigs rocks are always aces friends, but the key is they restrict both players choices, and aces typically have more options anyway, so it’s ‘okay’.

its not always okay.

Oh finally someone who shares this belief with me: aces wants an open field exactly because it gives them more option. This is particularly relevant while facing opponents of your own skill level or above. 

Big rocks however often win games by themselves against lower skill players and might also be needed to prevent swarms swarming, so there's also this on the plate 

17 hours ago, Tlfj200 said:

They’re sort of like rebel beef - great until they meet a tie swarm.

*a rebel beef beat a tie swarm in a UK hyperspace trials. 

In that game there was a terrible engage from the tie swarm and also some degree of bad luck. 

However, as Skotothalamos also noted, the truly scary beefs are the ones not afraid to spread out (and also the ones not playing Dutch, but that's another story). While I agree tie swarms have a favorable matchup against beef it's far from being onesided

21 minutes ago, Sunitsa said:

Big rocks however often win games by themselves against lower skill players and might also be needed to prevent swarms swarming, so there's also this on the plate 

I'd argue obstacles have primarily a psychological effect that can (and should) be used. But I agree with you that this works more on newer players who don't know better.

But you say something very interesting:

27 minutes ago, Sunitsa said:

This is particularly relevant while facing opponents of your own skill level or above. 

My default was always to go for big rocks. But it feels like I'm more and more frequently playing better players, so maybe it's time to go small.

With Rexlar Whisper and a shuttle, I brought small rocks. Rexlar wants as many lolks as possible, and I want as many decloaks as possible at all times. Plus, shuttle.

When I bring double jedi, I bring 3 large rocks, because lolfinetunedcontrols, and those rocks are far more restrictive to my opponent than me. If they were "normal" aces, I would definitely at least contemplate not-big rocks (or debris or clouds).

Rebel beef makes me not want to bring debris, and tie swarm/dreadloks make me not want to bring clouds.

2 minutes ago, Tlfj200 said:

Rebel beef makes me not want to bring debris, and tie swarm/dreadloks make me not want to bring clouds.

This is the thinking which makes me bring large rocks for just about any list I play.  I rarely play anything jousty and even more rarely fly a list in any semblance of a formation.

12 minutes ago, gennataos said:

This is the thinking which makes me bring large rocks for just about any list I play.  I rarely play anything jousty and even more rarely fly a list in any semblance of a formation.

I mean, I loosely agree it's a good heuristic:

If the big rocks don't clearly hurt me, and I'm unsure what I should bring on the balance, big rocks are good default until I figure it out.

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, skotothalamos said:

It’s a B-Wing

I was fully unprepared for the possibility that the Transport could take Advanced Proton Torps or Proton Torps.

Edited by Boom Owl
Inability to read continues to cause confusion

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

I was fully unprepared for the possibility that the Transport could take Advanced Proton Torps or Proton Torps. Holdo swapping locks seems good if you didnt spend it with Poe on attack. 

Holdo can't take an offensive LOCK token from a friendly. 

Edited by gennataos

1 hour ago, Boom Owl said:

swz45_spread.png

Why does the Resistance Transport come with a plasma torp? 

I'm assuming the primary reason is so you don't have to buy ships for other factions to have access to new upgrades that would be relevant for previously released ships in that faction. Not sure what else would be in the pipeline for Resistance (dont think they have anything in Wave V?) but better to get the card out there awkwardly now than wait a year.

Okay so Finnpod with predator is 1 threat, or roughly 25 points.  So ballpark Finnpod is 23-30 points.  Is Percop Finn worth 31-38 points?  I'm going to look real hard at it.

On defense, add an evade and immediately lose the strain after you defend.  On offense, get effectively a 3.25 dice primary.  So I'm thinking similar dice output to DG Sabine without the mobility.

Also, 1 point Heroic might be unironically good here because if you run out of focus you get the benefit of 3 blank dice at the increased rate of only needing two blanks.

Overall I think Percop is more consistent than Heroic+Rose and is slightly cheaper.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, GreenDragoon said:

Anything around 40pt will be extremely interesting as Lulo replacement

You trade the boosty turret for some health (because a 6pt shield upgrade makes sense on this chassis). I think that's a very good trade.

In all honesty, everything about the Resistance Transport pack is so gross that I expect a lot more of Krassis, Scum Falcon, Death Troopers, and Thannison. Sure, the sky ain't falling thanks to the points system and the toned down nature of the game, but in a faction where one Poesh's the Limit and has passive Expose on an a wing turret, we now get to see reassigning stress tokens, various additional passive bonuses for getting stressed, and the ability to spam red actions. So I expect to see those counters more. A lot more.

On another side note, is it viable to have a holdo pod and a Leia transport for the ultimate Super-Poe (probably not, as the answer is put Leia on the Falcon)? No ion for removing the weapons disable on Poe, who already had his SLAM talon roll's stress removed by Leia. And who cares if that Poe has charged into a bad part of the battlefield if he swapped that ion token for a reinforce on his 7 health chassis?

Edited by player3010587

1 minute ago, player3010587 said:

You trade the boosty turret for some health. I think that's a very good trade.

In all honesty, everything about the Resistance Transport pack is so gross that I expect a lot more of Krassis, Scum Falcon, Death Troopers, and Thannison. Sure, the sky ain't falling thanks to the points system and the toned down nature of the game, but in a faction where one Poesh's the Limit and has passive Expose on an a wing turret, we now get to see reassigning stress tokens, passive bonuses for getting stressed, and the ability to spam red actions. So I expect to see those counters more. A lot more.

On another side note, is it viable to have a holdo pod and a Leia transport for the ultimate Super-Poe (probably not, as the answer is put Leia on the Falcon)? No ion for removing the weapons disable on Poe, who already had his SLAM talon roll's stress removed by Leia. And who cares if that Poe has charged into a bad part of the battlefield if he swapped that ion token for a reinforce on his 7 health chassis?

A world where death troopers is a solid upgrade is a world I want to live in...

...maybe...

...Actually, I have no idea. So maybe not.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Tlfj200 said:

A world where death troopers is a solid upgrade is a world I want to live in...

...maybe...

...Actually, I have no idea. So maybe not.

Fortunately in terms of counters, all this stress makes the Scum Falcon in general viable. Not just Han. Krassis and the troopers are tricky to proc tho, as you pointed out. But if Thannison doesn't toss resistance transports and their pods (i.e., resistance B-wings) into rocks and all that fun stuff, then the Thannison player is not staggering his Upsilons properly. And fortunately, because they take the stress before they ditch it or play with it, Thannison gets to choose his ability before they do their thing.

Edited by player3010587

18 minutes ago, player3010587 said:

You trade the boosty turret for some health (because a 6pt shield upgrade makes sense on this chassis). I think that's a very good trade.

In all honesty, everything about the Resistance Transport pack is so gross that I expect a lot more of Krassis, Scum Falcon, Death Troopers, and Thannison. Sure, the sky ain't falling thanks to the points system and the toned down nature of the game, but in a faction where one Poesh's the Limit and has passive Expose on an a wing turret, we now get to see reassigning stress tokens, various additional passive bonuses for getting stressed, and the ability to spam red actions. So I expect to see those counters more. A lot more.

I'm just excited for the reserve crew. That's such a cool and new thing, but seems to be strictly bad. I wonder who can or will make it work.

Just now, GreenDragoon said:

I'm just excited for the reserve crew. That's such a cool and new thing, but seems to be strictly bad. I wonder who can or will make it work.

Anybody with the patience to delay an engagement and the skill to calculate when the opponent's list will attempt to engage. Seems fantastic for FLGS play, but unimpressive for regionals.