SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

On 1/6/2019 at 11:07 AM, GreenDragoon said:

Here's an app/feature idea: to keep track of points.
1. scan QR code on printed official squadbuilder list for your own list. Mark as 'own'
2. scan QR code on printed list, mark as opponent. 
3. boxes to tick for half and full points, or count dealt damage up
Always display who is ahead on points with current hull/shields.

Is something like this around? Would that be hard to do? You need to read qr codes, get the relevant information, display it accordingly, compare the two numbers, and provide functionality to adjust points and/or health status.

The guys at General Games(melbourne, Aus) have this built into their tourney software, you just click on the ships once for half points and twice for fully destroyed and it calcs for you, super good to use as a TO.

4 hours ago, LagJanson said:

So... 1st and won a ticket to the local Open in February.

Awesome, well done!

I take it that you juggled a lot of damage around, especially with the 2 Selfless and Biggs?

how is moving 2 medium and 2 small close to each other? How did you do it?

Was R3 worth it?

4 hours ago, GreenDragoon said:

Awesome, well done!

I take it that you juggled a lot of damage around, especially with the 2 Selfless and Biggs?

how is moving 2 medium and 2 small close to each other? How did you do it?

Was R3 worth it?

Juggled sooo much damage. Multiple torpedo impacts, and bigger hits. Found myself hoping for a few more crits rolled at times, but this was effective enough to buy time to do damage back. That’s all it does with half-points on everything. Buys time. So often though my entire list is running the edge of destruction. Everything is a hit or two from half-points at the end.

Moving this formation around close together isn’t easy without sacrifices. Sometimes I think it may be better to self-bump when attempting sudden tight turns, or stop a Uwing, than to force a wide turn that leaves something exposed. The Ywing didn’t help here, Sabine could do a lot of stuff to help dance out of the way.

R3 was worth it on the ace lists. Target lock one and it just escapes and lets it’s buddies do the work. Target lock two and now they’re both staying in the fight but flying at less optimal ways... Or at least, that’s my take. Also came in handy vs Sevoor, who tried to jam locks but with two I had my choice which lock to break.

Posted (edited)

What is the go with Jam, if there are multiple locks who chooses which lock?

I was reading through the rules today to see how it would work with multiple locks, (because Seevor looks like a right *****) it is a little bit ambiguous:

"When a ship becomes jammed, the player whose effect caused
the ship to gain the jam token chooses for the ship to either remove one of its
green tokens or break one of its locks"

I would argue the person placing the Jam token could choose which lock, but it isn't spelled out clearly.

Edited by Roundy1161
speeling

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Roundy1161 said:

I was reading through the rules today to see how it would work with multiple locks, (because Seevor looks like a right *****) it is a little bit ambiguous:

I would argue the person placing the Jam token could choose which lock, but it isn't spelled out clearly.

Reads to me and the TO present that Jam means they can specify the type of token

Edited by LagJanson

27 minutes ago, Roundy1161 said:

It's very ambiguous. This has been discussed in the rules forum and the general consensus was basically "??? needs clarification"

I do wish that FFG was a bit faster in resolving stuff like this. Like, this isn't the most critical rule in the game, but it is a rule that can legitimately be interpreted in two contradictory ways and it'd be super easy to just post "x player chooses the specific token to be removed"

I can feel it today boys

つ ◕◕ ༽つ SUMMON NEW POINTS ༼ つ ◕ ༽
つ ◕◕ ༽つ SUMMON NEW POINTS ༼ つ ◕ ༽
  • つ ◕◕ ༽つ SUMMON NEW POINTS ༼ つ ◕ ༽
    • つ ◕◕ ༽つ SUMMON NEW POINTS ༼ つ ◕ ༽
      •  

Posted (edited)

Seems like people have mostly considered the entire possible set of points changes (no major changes, huge upcostings, huge downcostings, anything inbetween), I haven't really seen anybody talking about potential upgrade slot changes.

I guess that means people are mostly happy with how they are and/or don't expect them to change, but those are almost as important as points.

Large bases gain or lose Gunners? Talent slot granted to or taken away from random named pilots? Gaining or losing the Sensor slot is sometimes chasis defining.

Which isn't to say I expect or want much to change. I just think people aren't prepared to maybe be surprised.

Edited by svelok

11 hours ago, punkUser said:

It's certainly context dependent... you might still reroll that if it's a high value target or if more shots are coming into it afterwards (or there's other reasons to strip the token). It also often depends on positioning and so on; if you're likely to have a better shot on the same target (or multiple!) next turn and so on.

I still encourage people to err on the side of spending locks to reroll rather than sitting on them, even when they think their initial roll isn't great. It's also worth noting that if you're choosing to not reroll in some situations you are lowering the expected damage of your attack by some amount. Ideally that would be some negligible amount, but I find that people tend to underestimate the number of situations you roll into something that actually does damage even if an initial roll is really bad, especially in 2.0.

Anyways agreed it's situational, just I more often see people err on the conservative side when they shouldn't than the opposite.

1.0 trained players that if it wasn't 3 hits, it was a waste.  I agree that 2.0 is different, but the gut reaction is understandable.

Posted (edited)

45 minutes ago, svelok said:

Seems like people have mostly considered the entire possible set of points changes (no major changes, huge upcostings, huge downcostings, anything inbetween), I haven't really seen anybody talking about potential upgrade slot changes.

つ ◕◕ ༽つ SUMMON GETTING RID OF SENSOR SLOT ON PUNISHERS ༼ つ ◕◕ ༽つ

つ ◕◕ ༽つ SUMMON SWITCHING CREW TO GUNNER ON PHANTOMS ༼ つ ◕◕ ༽つ

(those are my top two of upgrade slot potential changes)

Edited by RStan

36 minutes ago, RStan said:

つ ◕◕ ༽つ SUMMON GETTING RID OF SENSOR SLOT ON PUNISHERS ༼ つ ◕◕ ༽つ

つ ◕◕ ༽つ SUMMON SWITCHING CREW TO GUNNER ON PHANTOMS ༼ つ ◕◕ ༽つ

(those are my top two of upgrade slot potential changes)

I'm going out on -what I'd call- a strong limb here and say, the designers left point cost off for future balancing, so these will never be touched, just subsequent costs. I think they'll try to hold this line. Plus, they have the lazy, flexible hyperspace format to keep the bi*ching down to a low roar, haha.

2 hours ago, Kaptin Krunch said:

つ ◕◕ ༽つ SUMMON NEW POINTS ༼ つ ◕◕ ༽つ

What if the decision was “points are fine” and the New Years update was the real points update and we’re all waiting for nothing?

20 minutes ago, skotothalamos said:

What if the decision was “points are fine” and the New Years update was the real points update and we’re all waiting for nothing?

Honestly, I think technically they could say that was the update. The documents did indeed change, after all. It does sound like something that is a plausible response about points....

But I'd rather stone non-believers with plastic ships...

13 hours ago, punkUser said:

It's certainly context dependent... you might still reroll that if it's a high value target or if more shots are coming into it afterwards (or there's other reasons to strip the token). It also often depends on positioning and so on; if you're likely to have a better shot on the same target (or multiple!) next turn and so on.

I still encourage people to err on the side of spending locks to reroll rather than sitting on them, even when they think their initial roll isn't great. It's also worth noting that if you're choosing to not reroll in some situations you are lowering the expected damage of your attack by some amount. Ideally that would be some negligible amount, but I find that people tend to underestimate the number of situations you roll into something that actually does damage even if an initial roll is really bad, especially in 2.0.

Anyways agreed it's situational, just I more often see people err on the conservative side when they shouldn't than the opposite.

So I am going to anecdotally show that we are both right. I was running FCS QD (plus stuff) against a Fenn (plus stuff). I get a 4 dice double tap into Fenn's face. First time I roll hit/focus/blank. I FCS a blank and spend my focus for three hits. He dodges after spending a focus. My 2nd shot was crit/focus/focus/blank. I reroll into a final result of crit/crit/hit/hit. Fenn blanks and is very sad. 

It was a lucky 2nd reroll, but I am pretty sure I made the right call on both rolls based on what mods he had and what mods I had. I agree that you should use the lock about 90% of the time.

Yeah, FFG is a lot smaller company I think, so they just don't have the manpower to guarantee anything. Being a smaller company has a lot of benefits too, but the lack of ability to promise things or stick to a rigid schedule can be a little bit odd. 

The only time Krennic has felt okay to me has been on Jendon, because the shuttle becomes a pretty big contributor early on and triggers Krennic on the first engagement.  That being said, when I was messing around with him, I was facing a lot of high ship count lists and Boba hadn't really taken off, so YMMV.

2 hours ago, Boom Owl said:

Hi thread.

NO TLT EVER 

Is Krennic actually amazing for 5 points?

Also:

◕◕ ༽つ SUMMON NEW POINTS ༼ つ ◕◕ ༽つ

Amazing? no. Terrible? no. Krennic is just... average. The target lock addition is useless to anything but the reaper and tie phantom( not saying you would use him on a phantom now, but the option is there). Being able to punch down shields and push crits can be useful, if you can keep him alive, and get your condition ship in arc to fire on whatever Krennic has locked. Simply put, Krennic rewards good formation flying, which is easier to say than do.  

He’s really like the transformers Millenium Falcon that splits into chewie and Han. There great when you can play with them together, but lose one of transformers and all of a sudden you’ve lost all the fun out of it....