SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

24 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

Here's an app/feature idea: to keep track of points.
1. scan QR code on printed official squadbuilder list for your own list. Mark as 'own'
2. scan QR code on printed list, mark as opponent. 
3. boxes to tick for half and full points, or count dealt damage up
Always display who is ahead on points with current hull/shields.

Is something like this around? Would that be hard to do? You need to read qr codes, get the relevant information, display it accordingly, compare the two numbers, and provide functionality to adjust points and/or health status.

I don’t think it exists to this extent, but would be nice to have

On 1/4/2019 at 11:56 AM, PaulRuddSays said:

Speaking of agency, I’ve discovered that my purpose in the forums is to actively remind people that 90% of what’s said here is bad/wrong, and the last 10% might be bad (but we don’t know).  

I think there’s a legitimate argument to be made that online forums are the only places in human existence where you can unring the bell of knowledge so routinely, and so consistently. 

Lol, so true. Not just forums in but also in blogs/podcasts/real life its so common to see horrible xwing advice being put forward and, with alarming regularity, widely accepted.

18 hours ago, GreenDragoon said:

@punkUser I also checked the "How to Modify". It appears that Rey does not use her ability to turn a blank if with only focus, but she does if with a calculate and even with calculate+focus. I opened an issue on github.

Thanks for the report! I added Rey quickly before running out and didn't have a ton of time to test here so I'm not surprised this slipped through. Should be fixed now, let me know if you see anything else that looks wrong!

18 hours ago, baranidlo said:

But then it will automatically spend the lock as well, giving you the exactly same expected damage as without FCS.

The only difference is in probability of keeping the lock (as far as I can see..).

Other explained this but I'll also note that it's a pretty rare situation where you should not spend the lock if you have more than 1 die to reroll. I see people make this mistake sometimes and I can only imagine it's partially the way FCS is worded that gets people thinking in the wrong direction... if it was worded more in terms of keeping or reaquiring the lock or something I imagine people might treat it differently from a psychological point of view.

10 hours ago, punkUser said:

Other explained this but I'll also note that it's a pretty rare situation where you should not spend the lock if you have more than 1 die to reroll. I see people make this mistake sometimes and I can only imagine it's partially the way FCS is worded that gets people thinking in the wrong direction... if it was worded more in terms of keeping or reaquiring the lock or something I imagine people might treat it differently from a psychological point of view.

Most situations where you don't spend the lock have to do with action efficiency and how much spending the lock will help. If you roll hit/focus/blank with no focus against a ship with three greens and a token, I wouldn't spend the lock especially with FCS in that situation. Better off just rolling one and wait for a better shot.

30 minutes ago, skotothalamos said:

So I borrowed two Phantoms to try out the quad juke Phantom list for the first time yesterday at a Wave Championship...

That was fun. I'm not sure how you lose with the squad, because I never did.

Comm Relay+Juke seems like it's well-balanced. I'm glad it's in 2.0.

Be careful not to choke on your aspirations, director.

(can I begin the ancient forbidden ritual to resurrect TLT to counter comm relay+ Juke?)

15 minutes ago, Kieransi said:

Would TLT almost be ok now though, with no passive mods, range bonuses applying, and arc restrictions? 🤔

All that and a red rotate then maybe...but I don’t think we are ready to go there yet ;)

11 minutes ago, Kieransi said:

Would TLT almost be ok now though, with no passive mods, range bonuses applying, and arc restrictions? 🤔

That's an interesting question. Let's say a 15pt turret with a single turret arc and 3 dice. Range 2-3 only or also R1? Would 15pt be too much? Personally I always liked the donut hole and I'm in for weapons that reward going to R1 (missiles/torpedoes generally don't...). The combination of TLT+Bomb is also less ridiculous now with the bomb changes.

Who would break it? Kavil would like it I guess. And HWKs would get the multiple focus for both shots over 2 turns, Palob even indefinitely with stealing focus. Could Nym break it? Turret slots are rare now and Miranda (who is irrelevant anyway) lost it.

5 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

That's an interesting question. Let's say a 15pt turret with a single turret arc and 3 dice. Range 2-3 only or also R1? Would 15pt be too much? Personally I always liked the donut hole and I'm in for weapons that reward going to R1 (missiles/torpedoes generally don't...). The combination of TLT+Bomb is also less ridiculous now with the bomb changes.

Who would break it? Kavil would like it I guess. And HWKs would get the multiple focus for both shots over 2 turns, Palob even indefinitely with stealing focus. Could Nym break it? Turret slots are rare now and Miranda (who is irrelevant anyway) lost it.

There are a couple problems that tlt creates though that aren’t good for the game at the point it’s at even nerfed...low agility large base ships who already are in a tough spot just get hammered by them allowing for very consistent damage

reinforce can’t help against it and the lack of large base boost makes them vulnerable to a small base ship catching them out the side arc..so it pushes those ships out more then they already are

then there is the token stripping ability of it. Multiple attacks are really strong mostly for this( see gunner) yeah it fights whisper or defenders but totally kills single action generics even more

the ships with the tools to fight tlt are the ships that are already strong(multiple tokens and high ps repositioning) 

basically it’s like Luke gunner, where too cheap makes it too good and too expensive makes it non existent. And even if you get the point value just right it beats up on what’s already bad and is fought with what’s already good

lets just upcost the 1.0 cancer that slipped through to 2.0 and keep the rest out

27 minutes ago, TheOz said:

There are a couple problems that tlt creates though that aren’t good for the game at the point it’s at even nerfed...low agility large base ships who already are in a tough spot just get hammered by them allowing for very consistent damage

You make good points, especially "And even if you get the point value just right it beats up on what’s already bad and is fought with what’s already good "

I'm still surprized that there are only 4 ships that can take turrets: HWKs, Y-wings, Scurrgs and TIE Aggressors. I have to be missing something.

7 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

You make good points, especially "And even if you get the point value just right it beats up on what’s already bad and is fought with what’s already good "

I'm still surprized that there are only 4 ships that can take turrets: HWKs, Y-wings, Scurrgs and TIE Aggressors. I have to be missing something.

turret upgrades are mostly primary weapons instead now

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Kieransi said:

Single arc locked, and needs a ridiculous (but necessary) cost for the bonus attack. Leaning towards bullseye arc only. (Bonus attack bullseye only. First shot regular arc restrictions). Make it range 1-2.

or maybe I’m crazy and it’s to powerful and should stay dead.

Edited by FlyingAnchors

On 1/5/2019 at 5:12 PM, GreenDragoon said:

I expect a full battle report Bio-style tomorrow 10pm!

(good luck!)

So... 1st and won a ticket to the local Open in February. Sorry, my mind is too fuzzy to really compose a cohesive report.

https://raithos.github.io/?f=Rebel Alliance&d=v5!h!7:-1,-1,-1,142:;34:130,-1,-1,-1,-1,140,-1:;35:130,-1,-1,-1,-1,140,-1:;30:-1,136,4,-1,-1,-1:&sn=New Squadron&obs=

1st Round: Played this very popular opponent. Not what I wanted at all. Maybe you’ve heard of them? BYE. My victory.

2nd Round: Faced my driver... Sure, over an hour away, new place, new players... I get the local guy I travelled with. He's flying Poe, Ello and Lulo.  Both Poe and Ello have torps and Poe has targeting synchronizer. Good alpha and all aces. He goes down the opposite side of the board with Ello and Poe and cuts across with Lulo as a flanker... I initially go for the flanker, but fail to get him. Further, I need to turn in to face the rest of his list. I mess up in my turn and leave Saw open... and he's rewarded with a pair of torpedoes. Skipping ahead some skirmishing play where the aces dodge most of my arcs and my list is shedding shields like crazy... I’m doing a damage here and there but really can’t get a killing blow in. End game though, that Ywing pulls through, kturn torpedo launch that kills Ello at time. I also get half points on Poe vs the loss of Saw, half of Biggs and Magva. Victory 109-106.

3rd Round: Fellow flying Poe, Ello and Nien... all pretty lean. He builds a big box, I see it coming for about 2-3 turns, but with my formation I can't effectively do much more than bring  guns against the biggest target, Poe. I do half damage to Poe but the Ywing takes a lot of non-critical fire. I’m trying to set up another kturn with the Ywing while trying to shake Ello and Nien, but the Ywing goes down. Further, Nien adds further insult by landing a hit and two crits against Biggs. Fuel Leak is the first crit. boom... I'm slightly tilted, but fire away with the Uwings on Poe and score some lucky hits to take him out the same round. What follows is a bumpfest. The Uwings outlast the T70s, killing Nien and half pointing Ello in exchange for halfing Magva. Victory 163-119

4th Round: Fett, L33T, Old T, and Sevoor. We joust. Yay, thank you! He targets the Ywing but is rolling crits and I’m spreading it around. Gray drops a torpedo into a shieldless L33T as a target of opportunity, killing the escape pod. Fett initiates bump mode with my list. I think this strategy worked earlier, relying on Fett's rerolls and Han gunner to deal with lists. With Magva hanging on his doorstep though his offence is neutered but he doesn’t give up. I really don’t take any significant damage after this point. I lose half points on Saw, he suffers half points on Old T and Fett. Victory 96-28.

Final cut to top two players: Oh hey, my driver is back. He submarined back to second place. Being that we’ve had a long day and already faced each other, and we know this is going to time, we final salvo. I roll one more hit on stream, very exciting.

While the list is not top tier, it’s borderline competitive. The Ywing fits nicely as a threat in place of Sabine.

16 minutes ago, drjkel said:

VTTV or another stream? 

Another. Smaller. Early on, is my guess. That said, streaming is appreciated. I’ve been trying to hunt it down this evening but I can’t remember enough letters to identify it by name...

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Scott Pilgrim2 said:

Most situations where you don't spend the lock have to do with action efficiency and how much spending the lock will help. If you roll hit/focus/blank with no focus against a ship with three greens and a token, I wouldn't spend the lock especially with FCS in that situation. Better off just rolling one and wait for a better shot.

It's certainly context dependent... you might still reroll that if it's a high value target or if more shots are coming into it afterwards (or there's other reasons to strip the token). It also often depends on positioning and so on; if you're likely to have a better shot on the same target (or multiple!) next turn and so on.

I still encourage people to err on the side of spending locks to reroll rather than sitting on them, even when they think their initial roll isn't great. It's also worth noting that if you're choosing to not reroll in some situations you are lowering the expected damage of your attack by some amount. Ideally that would be some negligible amount, but I find that people tend to underestimate the number of situations you roll into something that actually does damage even if an initial roll is really bad, especially in 2.0.

Anyways agreed it's situational, just I more often see people err on the conservative side when they shouldn't than the opposite.

Edited by punkUser

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, drjkel said:

VTTV or another stream? 

Think I found it. adjvgaming 

Edit: Confirmed... and the stream cuts out after the final salvo is rolled but before the numbers were compared.

Edited by LagJanson

For those who haven't seen it already, I created a position and firing arc mapping app for X-wing 2.0 similar to what echolocation was for 1.0. Check it out and let me know what you think.

https://c-basse.github.io/c-basse/

My next goal is to use the app to extract firing arc coverage area data by ship, by pilot ability, by upgrades, by enabled range, by dialed maneuver, by modded vs un-modded shot; then see what kind of interesting analysis or visualizations I can make with that dataset. If anyone else has interesting you think could come out of using this app to generate data, I'd be interested to hear it.

Original Core Features:

• Includes every released ship in 2nd edition to date.
  • Almost every pilot ability, ship ability, and upgrade (except crew for now) that impacts re-positioning is modeled.
  • You can filter what the map draws by various starting conditions, ending conditions, dialed maneuvers, and re-positioning maneuvers.

Newly Released Features:

• All actions can now be turned off to exclude from the map all end ship positions and arcs that required that particular action.
  • Now instead of every ship drawing the default forward arc, ships have the correct native arcs, including rotating arcs.
  • For ships with native rotating arcs, you can choose from all possible initial orientations.
  • The rotate arc action is fully modeled, so the tool will draw all possible firing arcs by end position. e.g. if some theoretical ship can only barrel roll OR rotate arc, but not both; then the end ship positions that have barrel rolled will show only the initial arc orientation, but the positions that didn't barrel roll will show all possible arc orientations after a rotate action.
  • The end condition options now show options with a focus symbol. This means you can filter to show only those end positions which were able to focus (i.e. have a modded shot of some kind.) This allows you to quickly switch back and forth to see the difference between where that ship could be with a modded shot vs a non-modded shot.