SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Brunas said:

https://strawpoll.com/xz7cx1sg

Literal straw poll on generics

75-80%

Ace + 3-4 Generics is probably the most fun archetype I have used between 1.0 & 2.0

Vader + 3 Strikers

Whisper + 4 Strikers 

Luke + 3-4 A-Wings

Fenn + 3 Fangs 

It feels like it leads to a greater mix of possible decisions and is really flexible on approach. 

Even though sometimes "protecting" the ace can make it feel like your playing hyper cagey finding that middle ground is where the fun begins & the generics let you get a little more aggressive. 

Edited by Boom Owl

2 hours ago, Brunas said:

https://strawpoll.com/xz7cx1sg

Literal straw poll on generics

My policy is "At least over half of my points and over half of my ship count need to be generics"

Blackout 2 Delta was fine in 1.0, or Vader 4 Striker if that becomes legal. 

But something like OL, 3 Omegas, and Wampa was fine. 

Too many named pilots means there's a greater chance that the list is trying to do some Rube Goldberg Machine ****, and I didn't come here to play card games. 

there's definitely a "once everyone's unique, nobody is" aspect to lists

if you have "it's VADER (or Maarek) because VADER (or Maarek) is COOL" as a design goal, Vader (or Maarek) will be even cooler if he's 1 in 4 of the /x1's you play against, rather than 1 (or 0) in 1

Y’all seem to fixate on generics really hard the last page or so. A pilot ability is just a unique upgrade that is single chassis limited, usually with some associated initiative bonus. They aren’t better or worse for the game than any other upgrade just because they are printed on ship cards. 

The fact that they tend to have a wider range of effects mean some individual ones can be game breaking, but for example Kare Kun is just slightly-better-daredevil, the Pilot. (Blue Ace forever).

3 minutes ago, AEIllingworth said:

A pilot ability is just a unique upgrade that is single chassis limited, usually with some associated initiative bonus. They aren’t better or worse for the game than any other upgrade just because they are printed on ship cards. 

Upgrades are also the enemy. 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

Unironic I agree. 

I think I enjoy 0-2 upgrades per ship, and I count a pilot ability as an upgrade.   That’s my sweet spot before I get into writing-on-your-hand-because-too-many-triggerswing, and rubegolbergwing. 

Chassis abilities might also also count as an upgrade card, they used to be. It is another effect to remember. But I don’t want Ocho v 4BZ either. 

Edited by AEIllingworth

2 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

4 minutes ago, AEIllingworth said:

Y’all seem to fixate on generics really hard the last page or so. A pilot ability is just a unique upgrade that is single chassis limited, usually with some associated initiative bonus. They aren’t better or worse for the game than any other upgrade just because they are printed on ship cards. 

The fact that they tend to have a wider range of effects mean some individual ones can be game breaking, but for example Kare Kun is just slightly-better-daredevil, the Pilot. (Blue Ace forever).

The real enemy is words.

Cards with words on them are all just ticking time bombs before they become a component in another Rube Goldberg Squad.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, AEIllingworth said:

I think I enjoy 0-2 upgrades per ship, and I count a pilot ability as an upgrade.  

Of all the many things FFG got right with 2nd Edition the thing they might have gotten the most right so far appears to be making upgrades in general expensive or correctly costed so they feel expensive.  

Edited by Boom Owl

6 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

Of all the many things FFG got right with 2nd Edition the thing they might have gotten the most right so far appears to be making upgrades in general expensive or correctly costed so they feel expensive.  

Now they need to charge more for those "limited to 1 ship upgrades that also give Initiative"

The mining guild TIE is a good example, I am never going to fly a generic one without drea. I’ll just shuffle the other ships in the list until I can fit Seevor or Ahab, 4 and 6 points over the lowest respectively, or I will just leave them out.