SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

2 hours ago, skotothalamos said:

exact opposite here (southern Arizona). Everyone is hyped for the Phoenix System Open and when I do Hyperspace-format events, my attendance falls by half. 

I started an extended league right after 2.0 dropped, i walked in one night and everyone was mutually agreeing to play hyperspace. We have a few of us going to phoenix, but we've done zero practice because none of us want to play extended, especially pre points. Also, I look forward to seeing you there!

3 hours ago, SnooSnarry said:

I believe there's a direct correlation between the people that say they only want extended, and the amount of punishers, phantoms, and hawks in their lists.

I would like to be free of the 50pt hwk tax please. It's nice to build lists in hyperspace and feel like bad choices are only marginally crippling my lists.

16 minutes ago, Kaptin Krunch said:

It's been 2 pages, and the mod is probably gone now. 

Can we go back to talking about juggling guns? 

Seriously, might as well.  General off-topic-ery has been indulged by the mods for 700 pages, so it's unlikely they'd actually lock the thread for that now.

In the Armada forum, mods just silently lock off-topic stuff with no warning or post.  But Armada is a marginalized game with relatively few players and a nearly dead online community, compared to X-Wing.

Here, the mod gave a polite request to please bring the topic back to general X-Wing, despite that this is perhaps the most off-topic forum thread of the forum's history.  The mods probably don't want to lock this 700 page behemoth of a thread because they know it would ruffle a lot of feathers and upset a lot of influential folks, so they're probably not gonna ever lock it bar some truly inappropriate content being posted or discussed. 

So, like an orc outside Fangorn Forest, we could probably safely declare that "MATHEMATICAL ANALYSES OF JUGGLED GUNS IS BACK ON THE MENU, LADS!"

Edited by AllWingsStandyingBy

12 minutes ago, svelok said:

Points? Anybody got any points?

I'm ready for new points to not come until like March but I want to believe.

points will drop on Wednesday at the earliest. 

I kinda want them to drop right now so that I can start practicing
but I also kinda want them to delay points until early march or late feb so that no one can invent any glue combos by Adepticon. 

Maybe what I want is just more frequent points adjustments? 

FFG. you initially promised every 3-4 months. Plz go to that. 

So I started a forum post for people who are not excited for hyperspace to give their ideas on what would make it work for them....and stated if ffg got points right and every chassis was viable in some fashion, if it was a perfectly balanced format points wise, would that be enough! 

Also reminding them that in 6 months there will probably be even more content and further points balancing.....

unfortunatly it seems people just want the option to play with all of their toys, not to actually compete with them, just know they could...if they really wanted to lol

so I have found a solution, just let players put whatever model they want on their bases... yes it’s a tie striker with an interceptor on it, it’s Luke with an e wing on the base, there you go we can have a balanced format and let people roll play with all of their plastic toys! 

Ok maybe that was mean but really extended will always exist but there is nothing wrong with a limited format also existing...especially if it’s better balanced! 

I mean if play stele in the tie advanced if  he cost 38 points...krennic crew isn’t good...unless he costs like 2 points...boba and fenn get a lot worse if you can’t afford an escape craft...I mean it’s totally possible to balance hyperspace to make everything at least worth considering...so the problem is not getting to play with all of your plastic models...

rant over lol

I'm pretty format agnostic.  I'll miss my Interceptors in Hyperspace, but I can manage.  

It's just hard to talk about specifics with points adjustments on the supposed horizon.  Stuff that's not good can be good very soon, and vice versa.  If guess that TFA stuff is closer to the January rebalancing than Rebel/Imp/Scum stuff is, but new stuff still has its effectiveness defined in relation to rebalanced stuff, so it's hard be too accurate.  

7 hours ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

Here, the mod gave a polite request to please bring the topic back to general X-Wing, despite that this is perhaps the most off-topic forum thread of the forum's history. 

I joined around Wave 10 of first edition and joined the forums around wave 12. I started off reading a lot of threads and thinking, “well thats interesting...maybe that’s a good idea?”

With my jaundiced eyes, I now look at the landing page and think, “nothing on the first page of posts needs a content warning, cool, time to meme it up. Wonder if there are any good new Krayt thread memes.”

8 minutes ago, Biophysical said:

I'm pretty format agnostic.  I'll miss my Interceptors in Hyperspace, but I can manage.  

It's just hard to talk about specifics with points adjustments on the supposed horizon.  Stuff that's not good can be good very soon, and vice versa.  If guess that TFA stuff is closer to the January rebalancing than Rebel/Imp/Scum stuff is, but new stuff still has its effectiveness defined in relation to rebalanced stuff, so it's hard be too accurate.  

I legit miss Gunboats, but there’s no penalty in not playing them when they’re actively bad. SLAM isn’t really a reposition, so you basically need to put them where they need to go, and sometimes the only way to fix a bad engagement is to bug out. It feels a bit like hard mode, but they don’t hit hard enough right now to justify the self-imposed penalty. 

Edited by PaulRuddSays

17 minutes ago, PaulRuddSays said:

I legit miss Gunboats, but there’s no penalty in not playing them when they’re actively bad. SLAM isn’t really a reposition, so you basically need to put them where they need to go, and sometimes the only way to fix a bad engagement is to bug out. It feels a bit like hard mode, but they don’t hit hard enough right now to justify the self-imposed penalty. 

Every time I make any lists involving Gunboats, it always comes down to "If i'm not just running Vynder, I need Jendon, Vynder is mediocre"

23 minutes ago, Kaptin Krunch said:

Every time I make any lists involving Gunboats, it always comes down to "If i'm not just running Vynder, I need Jendon, Vynder is mediocre"

I flew the triple deadeye gunboats at the end of 1e, and tried to make a 3x gunboat with Jendon list for our preseason here. Wound up replacing two of them with Rhymer and Duchess, and only keeping Vynder. As much as I want it to be good, it’s either not good, or I’m a worse player than I thought. 

1 hour ago, Biophysical said:

At least the FO has the chaddest of interceptors.

1 hour ago, Biophysical said:

Crazy, isn't it?  There's almost nothing to talk about, because the points matter so much.  I'm more surprised we aren't seeing public lobbying to make things cheaper/more expensive than anything, honestly.

1 hour ago, PaulRuddSays said:

I’m a worse player than I thought. 

If you never have faith in yourself you can't be disappointed.

9 hours ago, Kaptin Krunch said:

It's been 2 pages, and the mod is probably gone now. 

Can we go back to talking about juggling guns? 

Staring at the mod and screaming jOuSt Me is probably not a good strategy for your health.   But I'm not your real mom, and some bans and timeouts are probably more fun for them than others anyways...

18 minutes ago, Biophysical said:

One of my favorite 40k-isms:

"Hope us the first step on the road to disappointment."

along with

"An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded."

'Old on to da pin, frow da uvver part.

I'z da biggest so I'z da boss.

Always have yer tunnels dug and ready.

Red wunz go fasta.

So....

I began the process of trying to collect more "stats" on games. 

• Started with Coruscant, PAX, and Mynock ( 48 Total Available Videos )  
  • I just fast forwarded through the first few min to identify the "type" of initial engagement & the archetype list used by both players.
  • More interested in frequency of use with given archetypes than win rates.
  • Maybe Win Rate against a specific Engagement Type / List Archetype combination will end up being interesting eventually. 
  • I tried to boil the engagement types down to semi-broad categories to make things manageable. 
  • 50 games is no where near enough to draw any real conclusions just yet.
  • The only funny thing I have found so far is that Fat Turret Players Joust about 70% of the time. 
  • The difference between a Joust-Partial and Flank-Bait is subtle but necessary. Not sure best way to define it.  
  • As an example if someone running Whisper/Redline/Soontir jousts with all 3 and one of the two aces happens to be out of arc but still essentially sent forward with everything else I consider that a partial joust. 
  • If they instead send Whisper or Soontir out on a solo mission only to disengage or stumble into a flank I consider that Flank-Bait, mainly because it at least looks intentionally different. 

Before I continue collecting this I wanted to get some feedback from people on what tactical info or categories could be useful. 

47m8Z5E.png

SrcRBZ0.png

kIzm6Dz.png

HQimFBc.png

21 Games Coruscant, 10 Games PAX, 17 Games Mynock

I know alot about the way I approached this is probably flawed, ill continue collecting after some feedback. 

Edited by Boom Owl

8 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

So....

I began the process of trying to collect more interesting "stats" on games. 

Great work on all of that, I wonder how much Redline/proton torps in general skew those jousting stats.

6 minutes ago, Rytackle said:

Great work on all of that, I wonder how much Redline/proton torps in general skew those jousting stats.

Im not sure. Some Punisher players run Redline like Fat Kylo and most run Redline like 1 Shot Quickdraw so it probably ends up being a mix. 

Edited by Boom Owl

4 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

Im not sure. Some Punisher players run Redline like Fat Kylo and most run Redline like 1 Shot Quickdraw so it probably ends up being a mix. 

All I learned from Redline is I'm really happy Kylo didn't get promoted to a medium base.  That would be even more of a disaster...

This is a minor terminology thing, but what you're describing as "partial joust", I refer to as "offset joust".  It's a little thing, but "partial joust" makes it seem a little more like some of the list is not jousting, which isn't really the case if I'm understanding your description correctly.