SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

What if Reinforce was modified so if you take a reinforce action, all hits to the un-reinforced half are face-up damage cards.  Remember that risk vs reward thing they were talking about during one of the nerfenings?

Would that be enough?

2 minutes ago, Biophysical said:

And every time flew Soontir Fel.  With a Targeting Computer.

Angry reacts only, haha.

No, that soontir is not there to accomplish what palp soontir is.  Targeting computer makes sense.  Are they really going to go for soontir before very hittable SFs?  Also, I'm wondering if I can get your thoughts on backdraft.  "Crits are good", but much more importantly, his rear arc is also scary instead of wet noodle territory, which makes him almost a turret on an efficient platform.  This is all headsim, I'm super not used to playing fair imperials and need to figure these things out.

Going back to the discussion about Kylo + Upsilon, am I wrong for wanting to put Comm Relay on Kylo (with an Evade fed by Stridan's Hyperwave)? It basically gives him a once per game failsafe against ordnance, which I think could really help against PS11 alpha.

Ideas for Reinforce:

swap "add an evade result" with:
1) add a defense die (higher defensive ceiling, more variance)
2) change 1 (all?) focus result(s) to an evade (lower variance, low ceiling)
3) change 1 defense die result to an evade (least variance, low ceiling, wont work on AGI 0 ships)
4) destroy your ship and go think about your life choices

Edited by Transmogrifier

1 minute ago, Brunas said:

Angry reacts only, haha.

No, that soontir is not there to accomplish what palp soontir is.  Targeting computer makes sense.  Are they really going to go for soontir before very hittable SFs?  Also, I'm wondering if I can get your thoughts on backdraft.  "Crits are good", but much more importantly, his rear arc is also scary instead of wet noodle territory, which makes him almost a turret on an efficient platform.  This is all headsim, I'm super not used to playing fair imperials and need to figure these things out.

4 times out of 5, people go for Backdraft.  The 1 in 5 is usually for a good reason, like they have Bossk or something.  People generally don't like going after Soontir for good reason, which is why Targeting Computer works so well, because he's basically doing 4 hits at will when he's not being directly engaged.  

Backdraft is perfectly competent at his job, which is to be a combat effective ship that doesn't die to one hit, and flies well alongside Quickdraw.  I usually don't use the rear arc a lot (although it does happen depending on matchup), because he needs to stay in the fight.  It's terrific if he's only been partially damaged and you're running away, though.  Because the choice of targets is shifty Fel, double-tap Quickdraw, or chasing Backdraft's bonus crit.  I keep thinking about replacing him with an x7 delta, but I like the offense, and I'm afraid x7 makes it too easy to bite the bullet and go after Quickdraw early.  I very much prefer Backdraft as first target, because nothing says endgame like Soontir Fel + undamaged Quickdraw in knife-fighting range.

I love me some endgame Quickdraw. Nothing feels better than being in a 1v1 will fulls shields on Quickdraw. Come get some.

EDIT: You've reminded me why I liked triple ace lists so much. It's how much it messes with your opponent's target priority. My Worlds list was a lot like that with QD, OL, and Crack Shot Vessery. My opponents were never sure who to kill first and it always worked out well for me. Well, until I met Duncan's Bumpmaster Manaroo. Then I was just sad.

Edited by defkhan1

On 12/4/2017 at 10:27 AM, Biophysical said:

I had a guy cheat me in a Vassal tournament (you know, where there are logs of the game) and even when I reviewed the logs I wasn't 100% sure of what I was seeing until I showed it to someone who knew what go look for specifically.

This is intriguing.  I can think of a few ways to cheat in VASSAL, but they're all either undetectable or pretty obvious.  How'd he cheat?

24 minutes ago, Jeff Wilder said:

This is intriguing.  I can think of a few ways to cheat in VASSAL, but they're all either undetectable or pretty obvious.  How'd he cheat?

He had two sets of dials, one was placed directly over the other.  In his window, the spare set was kept waaaay off to the right so it wouldn't be apparent on normal window sizes.  I noticed something was weird when I was reviewing the logs and there was like 20 steps with nothing happening.  The I revealed the dial at the beginning of the turn and it was different than when it was revealed during activation.  I think the all the steps were due to him changing the spare dial and putting it into place over the original dial. 

Submitted the logs to the powers that be and that was that.

Edited by Biophysical

21 minutes ago, defkhan1 said:

I love me some endgame Quickdraw. Nothing feels better than being in a 1v1 will fulls shields on Quickdraw. Come get some.

Quickdraw is the epitome of "you're locked in here with me."  

2016 Regionals I ran her with Rage/Baffles.  About half my opponents that day played some form of Alpha Strike Bossk and were definitely not prepared for that kind of offense coming straight back at them.

1 hour ago, Biophysical said:

And every time flew Soontir Fel.  With a Targeting Computer.

Was this the same list from last Wednesday?  If so....He's mortal!  ...

If he lets you take back a move, lands Soontir on a rock for a crit or two and generally shrugs and says, "Sure, why not" when spending tokens throughout the game.  And have regen Poe which manages to squirm out of 2-3 traps, then runs.

Backdraft is the obvious first target unless you have a marvelous shot on QD or Soontir.  I don't want those crits getting pooped all over me.

4 minutes ago, gennataos said:

Was this the same list from last Wednesday?  If so....He's mortal!  ...

If he lets you take back a move, lands Soontir on a rock for a crit or two and generally shrugs and says, "Sure, why not" when spending tokens throughout the game.  And have regen Poe which manages to squirm out of 2-3 traps, then runs.

Backdraft is the obvious first target unless you have a marvelous shot on QD or Soontir.  I don't want those crits getting pooped all over me.

It is!

33 minutes ago, Biophysical said:

It is!

Since were just asking you a bunch of questions now...been messing around with variations on this...feels like a ton of hp for a three ship imp build but PS2 scares me.

Doesnt Quickdraw get nuked off the board by 2 harpoons or cruise missiles with some regularity?

"Quickdraw" — TIE/sf Fighter 29
Veteran Instincts 1
Fire-Control System 2
Harpoon Missiles 4
Lightweight Frame 2
Special Ops Training 0
Ship Total: 38

"Backdraft" — TIE/sf Fighter 27
Veteran Instincts 1
Fire-Control System 2
Harpoon Missiles 4
Primed Thrusters 1
Lightweight Frame 2
Special Ops Training 0
Ship Total: 37

Nu Squadron Pilot — Alpha-class Star Wing 18
"Mangler" Cannon 4
Linked Battery 2
Long-Range Scanners 0
XG-1 Assault Configuration 1
Ship Total: 25

I guess what I am saying is if I face QD lists I almost always focus fire him first and deal with the consequnces. As long as he loses all his shields in the first combat hes usually dead next turn and I have made a trade I would have to make later anyway.

Which is why QD/BD/OL or QD/Vess/OL are the usual archetypes for this since you want two scary other things. Your Soontir variation is super cool and follows the same idea but isnt the logical choice the same as it is with the others to just kill Quickdraw?

Also just as an aside I cant think of any better list for new Imperial Players to try than this. Its so wonderfully balanced. Its like Super Mario from Smash Bros. Balanced and dangerous in an experts hands. Great for learning.

Quickdraw" — TIE/sf Fighter 29
Veteran Instincts 1
Fire-Control System 2
Harpoon Missiles 4
Lightweight Frame 2
Special Ops Training 0

Veteran Instincts 1
Fire-Control System 2
Harpoon Missiles 4
Lightweight Frame 2
Special Ops Training 0
Ship Total: 36

"Omega Leader" — TIE/fo Fighter 21
Juke 2
Comm Relay 3
Ship Total: 26

Edited by Boom Owl

1 hour ago, Boom Owl said:

Since were just asking you a bunch of questions now...been messing around with variations on this...feels like a ton of hp for a three ship imp build but PS2 scares me.

Doesnt Quickdraw get nuked off the board by 2 harpoons or cruise missiles with some regularity?

"Quickdraw" — TIE/sf Fighter 29
Veteran Instincts 1
Fire-Control System 2
Harpoon Missiles 4
Lightweight Frame 2
Special Ops Training 0

Veteran Instincts 1
Fire-Control System 2
Harpoon Missiles 4
Primed Thrusters 1
Lightweight Frame 2
Special Ops Training 0
Ship Total: 37

Nu Squadron Pilot — Alpha-class Star Wing 18
"Mangler" Cannon 4
Linked Battery 2
Long-Range Scanners 0
XG-1 Assault Configuration 1
Ship Total: 25

I guess what I am saying is if I face QD lists I almost always focus fire him first and deal with the consequnces. As long as he loses all his shields in the first combat hes usually dead next turn and I have made a trade I would have to make later anyway.

Which is why QD/BD/OL or QD/Vess/OL are the usual archetypes for this since you want two scary other things. Your Soontir variation is super cool and follows the same idea but isnt the logical choice the same as it is with the others to just kill Quickdraw?

Also just as an aside I cant think of any better list for new Imperial Players to try than this. Its so wonderfully balanced. Its like Super Mario from Smash Bros. Balanced and dangerous in an experts hands. Great for learning.

Quickdraw" — TIE/sf Fighter 29
Veteran Instincts 1
Fire-Control System 2
Harpoon Missiles 4
Lightweight Frame 2
Special Ops Training 0

Veteran Instincts 1
Fire-Control System 2
Harpoon Missiles 4
Lightweight Frame 2
Special Ops Training 0
Ship Total: 36

"Omega Leader" — TIE/fo Fighter 21
Juke 2
Comm Relay 3
Ship Total: 26

I'm not in love with missiles on SFs.  They definitely do work, but the SFs end up giving up a lot of points when they die.  Consequently, if your third ship can't kill off the opposition, you lose at time.  Cheap SFs are just as hard to kill, have good damage over time, and leave points for a more serious 3rd ship.

Plenty of people have had good success with missiles on SFs, but they're not really my thing.

2 hours ago, Biophysical said:

4 times out of 5, people go for Backdraft.  The 1 in 5 is usually for a good reason, like they have Bossk or something.  People generally don't like going after Soontir for good reason, which is why Targeting Computer works so well, because he's basically doing 4 hits at will when he's not being directly engaged.  

Backdraft is perfectly competent at his job, which is to be a combat effective ship that doesn't die to one hit, and flies well alongside Quickdraw.  I usually don't use the rear arc a lot (although it does happen depending on matchup), because he needs to stay in the fight.  It's terrific if he's only been partially damaged and you're running away, though.  Because the choice of targets is shifty Fel, double-tap Quickdraw, or chasing Backdraft's bonus crit.  I keep thinking about replacing him with an x7 delta, but I like the offense, and I'm afraid x7 makes it too easy to bite the bullet and go after Quickdraw early.  I very much prefer Backdraft as first target, because nothing says endgame like Soontir Fel + undamaged Quickdraw in knife-fighting range.

So what is the list? I'm  normally running QD at 35+ and BD at 33+, so with 34 for Soontir, I'm not understanding what you cut off of each. No tech on someone I assume? Primed as the only tech?

1 hour ago, Kaptin Krunch said:

So what is the list? I'm  normally running QD at 35+ and BD at 33+, so with 34 for Soontir, I'm not understanding what you cut off of each. No tech on someone I assume? Primed as the only tech?

There were minor variations, but the typical version was Fel with title, PTL, Autothrusters, and Targeting Computer; Quickdraw with A Score To Settle, title, FCS, and Lightweight Frame; and Backdraft with VI, FCS, and Lightweight Frame for 99 points

7 hours ago, Biophysical said:

He had two sets of dials, one was placed directly over the other.  In his window, the spare set was kept waaaay off to the right so it wouldn't be apparent on normal window sizes.  I noticed something was weird when I was reviewing the logs and there was like 20 steps with nothing happening.  The I revealed the dial at the beginning of the turn and it was different than when it was revealed during activation.  I think the all the steps were due to him changing the spare dial and putting it into place over the original dial. 

Submitted the logs to the powers that be and that was that.

7 hours ago, Jeff Wilder said:

...Why?  Was this like a tournament?  Does someone like winning so much that they want to cheat in random pickup or practice games?  They presumably did that every game for a very long time, it's nearly impossible to catch (if they did it well).

Really, they should have had a full set of dials, one of each maneuver, so they could grab the one they wanted instead of spinning the replacement dial and they wouldn't been caught.  But that doesn't explain the motivation... what?

People are weird.

12 hours ago, defkhan1 said:

It gets even better if you go deeper. Wedge's sister marries Soontir Fel, who have a son together named Jagged Fel, who then marries Jaina Solo, the daughter of Han Solo and granddaughter Anakin Skywalker. All six of them are considered to be among the best pilots in the galaxy. It's like they were part of some program to breed the greatest ace pilot in the galaxy.

It still gets better.  If I recall correctly, they form their own offshoot empire within the Chiss and eventually reclaim the Galaxy and unite it under the Fel Empire, which ends after some of the Jedi-protectors turn out to be sith and they kill some important people including the father of Cad Skywalker who is super Emo and sad but also powerful as **** I think.

On topic-ish: Its still super fun to put down Defenders and joust things because people don't understand the offense those things have.

20 minutes ago, Do I need a Username said:

On topic-ish: Its still super fun to put down Defenders and joust things because people don't understand the offense those things have.

On Thursday, Fenn be like...

latest?cb=20170222070026

Edited by gennataos
forums are hard

6 hours ago, Brunas said:

...Why?  Was this like a tournament?  Does someone like winning so much that they want to cheat in random pickup or practice games?  They presumably did that every game for a very long time, it's nearly impossible to catch (if they did it well).

Really, they should have had a full set of dials, one of each maneuver, so they could grab the one they wanted instead of spinning the replacement dial and they wouldn't been caught.  But that doesn't explain the motivation... what?

People are weird.

5 hours ago, sozin said:

IIRC, it was a one of the Vassal tournaments? Bio could confirm though. 

17% of the way there boys! Only 277 more pages to go!

It was a Vassal tourney, but still...

8 hours ago, gennataos said:

On Thursday, Fenn be like...

latest?cb=20170222070026

Funnily enough, my defenders really don't care too much about that.  Brath isn't spending his anyway (Unless he flips things face up, which isn't modifying) and Vessery is fine just being able to 4K into cruise missile.  Unless you are referencing Scum Fenn, who already puts me in a bad spot.

Just now, Do I need a Username said:

Funnily enough, my defenders really don't care too much about that.  Brath isn't spending his anyway (Unless he flips things face up, which isn't modifying) and Vessery is fine just being able to 4K into cruise missile.  Unless you are referencing Scum Fenn, who already puts me in a bad spot.

Yeah, I'm talking about the Phantom II.  Fenn has a rear arc, so Vessery can 4K all he wants.  If Fenn is rolling with Miranda and Lowhhrick, I think that 4K is off the board for consideration.  If Fenn is with Poe + ace, then whomever was going to give Vessery a TL just lost theirs anyway.

1 minute ago, LagJanson said:

Fenn is very sad when your opponent just rolls natties.

Everyone is sad when natties happen.  Even when I roll them.  I have nattie guilt issues.