SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

Just now, Boom Owl said:

Two simultaneous answers:

1) the feeling right before dials are revealed, wondering if you made the right decision, and 

2) Unironically, the friends you made along the way.

Just now, Boom Owl said:

The community. The amount of passionate individuals we have and the general non-toxicity make it one of the most pleasant communities ive been apart of.

@Boom Owl I think it was that moment when I realized that I could actually help a new player. 

When I first bought X-Wing, I just got a few things for the cool models and I didn't know anyone played the actual game. Then I started playing the core set missions with any people who would do it with me. And then I met some people at an open game night who told me what a game cafe was and that there were X-Wing nights on Mondays in my town. I think I've missed less than 10 Monday X-Wing nights in the last 4 years. 

There, I met a dad and son (who ended up going to worlds the first three years of X-Wing), a guy who owned his own game store, a podcaster, an excellent minis painter, and a few casual players who'd been there longer than me. They were all great people and not only let me borrow and proxy stuff, but they held alt formats and let me help write the rules for those and we spent long hours talking about the game. They taught me how to listbuild, how to fly, how to have a good attitude about the game, how to paint my own minis, and how to always be gracious in defeat and in victory. Through the collaborative hive mind of my FLGS, I got gud.

Very recently, I started realizing that I had the power to start giving back, and start taking over for that older generation (since most of them got sort of burnt out on X-Wing lately). In 2.0, I want to be the bastion of our community that starts giving back, and teaching future X-Wingers the art of gud.

2 minutes ago, Kieransi said:

@Boom Owl I think it was that moment when I realized that I could actually help a new player. 

When I first bought X-Wing, I just got a few things for the cool models and I didn't know anyone played the actual game. Then I started playing the core set missions with any people who would do it with me. And then I met some people at an open game night who told me what a game cafe was and that there were X-Wing nights on Mondays in my town. I think I've missed less than 10 Monday X-Wing nights in the last 4 years. 

There, I met a dad and son (who ended up going to worlds the first three years of X-Wing), a guy who owned his own game store, a podcaster, an excellent minis painter, and a few casual players who'd been there longer than me. They were all great people and not only let me borrow and proxy stuff, but they held alt formats and let me help write the rules for those and we spent long hours talking about the game. They taught me how to listbuild, how to fly, how to have a good attitude about the game, how to paint my own minis, and how to always be gracious in defeat and in victory. Through the collaborative hive mind of my FLGS, I got gud.

Very recently, I started realizing that I had the power to start giving back, and start taking over for that older generation (since most of them got sort of burnt out on X-Wing lately). In 2.0, I want to be the bastion of our community that starts giving back, and teaching future X-Wingers the art of gud.

Correct

3 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

I helped build a community that now has 10+ players on casual nights even in the dark days of 1.0. This is in fact the best part of 2.0. 

I'm so jealous. Our community is like 20 people but they don't all show up at the same time and half of them are total noobs and the other half are very salty about X-Wing in general. 

We're doing this to try to get people hyped for 2.0:

Edited by Kieransi

7 hours ago, Kieransi said:

I'm so jealous. Our community is like 20 people but they don't all show up at the same time and half of them are total noobs and the other half are very salty about X-Wing in general. 

We're doing this to try to get people hyped for 2.0:

The key is just to be super excited and happy about both casual games and competitive games. even if you hate all of it ..(both 1.0 and X-Wing....) just play the game your opponent wants to play and then they probably come back next week and eventually overtime learn what the correct definition of fun is.  *Hint: its y-wings, b-wings, a-wings, soontir, and phantoms....and TIE ADVANCEDS play tie advanceds against newbs they will have fun its fine just dont use accuracy corrector and prockets...

Edited by Boom Owl

Just now, Boom Owl said:

The key is just to be super excited and happy about both casual games and competitive games. even if you hate all of it ..(both 1.0 and X-Wing....) just play the game your opponent wants to play and then they probably come back next week and eventually overtime learn what the correct definition of fun is.  *Hint: its y-wings, b-wings, a-wings, soontir, and phantoms....

Thing is, I'm always super happy and excited about everything Star Wars. I play competitive 1.0 X-Wing, I play HotAC, Mario Kart, other alt-formats, 59-point cross-faction, those weird quickbuild thingies, 2.0 proxy games, whatever. I'm that guy who likes Rogue One, the OT, the Prequels, TLJ, Rebels, Clone Wars, the Clone Wars movie, Pocketmodel, the old Marvel Comics, the new Marvel Comics, LEGO Star Wars, KotOR, the flight sim games... there really isn't anything Star Wars related I don't like. 

There's just only so much excitement I can rub off onto people. 

3 minutes ago, Kieransi said:

Thing is, I'm always super happy and excited about everything Star Wars. I play competitive 1.0 X-Wing, I play HotAC, Mario Kart, other alt-formats, 59-point cross-faction, those weird quickbuild thingies, 2.0 proxy games, whatever. I'm that guy who likes Rogue One, the OT, the Prequels, TLJ, Rebels, Clone Wars, the Clone Wars movie, Pocketmodel, the old Marvel Comics, the new Marvel Comics, LEGO Star Wars, KotOR, the flight sim games... there really isn't anything Star Wars related I don't like. 

There's just only so much excitement I can rub off onto people. 

Yea thats the key. 

Enthusiasm is the foundation of any community.  

For me, the best part of X-wing is analyzing the board position, determining where the opponent will want to go and setting the dial to take advantage of that.  There is no moment more enjoyable to me than moving my whole squad before a key opposing ship, then just watching what happens.  It's just fantastic when you set up a great situation based entirely on prediction of what your opponent was planning.

24 minutes ago, Biophysical said:

For me, the best part of X-wing is analyzing the board position, determining where the opponent will want to go and setting the dial to take advantage of that.  There is no moment more enjoyable to me than moving my whole squad before a key opposing ship, then just watching what happens.  It's just fantastic when you set up a great situation based entirely on prediction of what your opponent was planning.

Correct 

23 hours ago, Makaze said:

Fenn in a Protectorate at I6: Yes

Fenn in a civilian shuttle at I6 especially after they specifically mentioned renaming pilot skill to initiative so that it made more sense when the same pilot has different values in different ships: Yeah... not so much...

excellent tactical awareness is very effective both in a fighter and in command & control. He uses his own tactical acumen to make other pilots better. Seems fins & thematic to me.

1 hour ago, Brunas said:

Have you tried being better?

Lol, have and I did. My initial post was after the first hour of playing, only playing doubles with a random CPU teammate against my two boys. I’d own them until they got a full meter, then they’d aim at my CPU teammate and I’d lose.  They’re clearly more Krayt than I am  

By the time I made it to the train in the SP, I could block at will. 

Edited by gennataos

4 hours ago, gennataos said:

Lol, have and I did. My initial post was after the first hour of playing, only playing doubles with a random CPU teammate against my two boys. I’d own them until they got a full meter, then they’d aim at my CPU teammate and I’d lose.  They’re clearly more Krayt than I am  

By the time I made it to the train in the SP, I could block at will. 

How does this make you feel

No automatic alt text available.

They aren't going to KO themself.

ALSO, actually on topic: Vermeil is absolutely ridiculous.  I played Vermeil with VI, slicers, krennic and frame and it was legit one of the silliest things I've seen in Xwing.  He's like the assassin of silly rebel defensive stacking.

Edited by Brunas

10 hours ago, Boom Owl said:

@catachanninja

@Tlfj200

@Brunas

@SaltMaster 5000

@Mynock Delta

@Rytackle

@atkrull

@Killerardvark

@heychadwick

@Cubanboy

@Biophysical

@Starslinger72

@everyone

What is the coolest part of real x-wing?

#content

@Rytackle Yo does dallas forums?

My younger brother is significantly younger than me, and for a large part of his life I  unrepentantly destroyed him at everything, as i got older i felt bad about it, but he had lost his competitive drive all together. X wing lets me serve my penance as Nathan dream crushes me over and over again. In a few more years i think I'll have atoned for my sins.

2 hours ago, Brunas said:

How does this make you feel

No automatic alt text available.

They aren't going to KO themself.

ALSO, actually on topic: Vermeil is absolutely ridiculous.  I played Vermeil with VI, slicers, krennic and frame and it was legit one of the silliest things I've seen in Xwing.  He's like the assassin of silly rebel defensive stacking.

I've been messing around with the same build... what did you pair it with?

Here's what I think I'll try tomorrow https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Galactic Empire&d=v4!s!292:27,266,262:63:31:;195:18,-1,-1:33:17:;270:-1,-1:56:24:U.247,U.23&sn=Unnamed Squadron&obs=

5 hours ago, Brunas said:

He's also hilarious against Imperial Defensive stacking. Inq may as well not have shields and he negates the x/7 title for defenders - especially fun if you have a blocker for them. I also realized why I had a bit of a tough time when I played him - I was using the 2.0 dial because I figured it was the same and I could playing with the new stuff. Nope, the dial is worse - 2.0 the hard 1 is red. That made a huge difference for the Reaper maneuverability.

Well, I spent all my wife points and probably overdrew a little. 4pm Imperials (and Gencon Thursday) here I come!

Will I be able to flex in my Krayt running shirt by then?

Also, what’s the motorcycle parking like at the convention center?

Edited by Dismal Scientist