SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

22 minutes ago, Do I need a Username said:

Another important thing to note about this, is that thus far the only reliable imperial way to stress people is sloan, which means taking two crew carriers.

Whisper sloan+ deathtrooper reaper and whatever combo of ships you fan fit past that might be legit 

2 hours ago, gennataos said:

My 4pm Rebel crew looks forward to not having a shot at Supernatural Vader.  Ever.

Unless our guess about it being Rebels v Imps and/or there are lopsided tickets sold? 

Let's be real - it'll sell out, they've just kinda sucked at advertising it so far.  Sounds fun!  I look forward to you not having a shot at supernatural vader!

... Or Vader not caring the first time, because apparently I get 3 shields?  Seems good.

7 hours ago, catachanninja said:

Whisper sloan+ deathtrooper reaper and whatever combo of ships you fan fit past that might be legit 

I like that idea from a "sounds fun to play" perspective, bit also an "it's wholesome" perspective.  Sloan is the obvious target, but she's probably on a tough ship to kill.  The crest of the ships in the list are likely not lynchpin ships or Sloan is wasted, and in turn it punishes lynchpin ships in the meta.

it's nice to see that the whole off-topic drama had as results that I can find again actually interesting content in this thread rather than pages and pages of spam.

If only you were talking about 1.0 instead of speculating the dreaded 2.0 I would be even happier... Aren't you guys going to GenCon to win the last 1.0 trophy? Are you letting some rival podcasts claim that honor? Come on, I need to absorb every bit of xwing knowledge I can before the ETC!

2 minutes ago, Sunitsa said:

If only you were talking about 1.0 instead of speculating the dreaded 2.0 I would be even happier... Aren't you guys going to GenCon to win the last 1.0 trophy? Are you letting some rival podcasts claim that honor? 

Sorry man - you won’t find that here.  You’re mistaken if the majority here consider that either an honor or interesting.

Mynocks or S&V or 186 or barons or whomever can be king of the 1.0 pile. Since X-Wing is 2.0, none of that carries over to us.

That is really looking like a case of the fox and the grapes thought...

Jokes aside, I understand you. It's a bit of a bummer since you know my feelings about 2.0 and I stayed in this thread because you guys gave some very nice insight from time to time, would have loved to hear more

Just now, Sunitsa said:

That is really looking like a case of the fox and the grapes thought...

Jokes aside, I understand you. It's a bit of a bummer since you know my feelings about 2.0 and I stayed in this thread because you guys gave some very nice insight from time to time, would have loved to hear more

Of course - anything specific on your mind?

13 minutes ago, Sunitsa said:

it's nice to see that the whole off-topic drama had as results that I can find again actually interesting content in this thread rather than pages and pages of spam.

If only you were talking about 1.0 instead of speculating the dreaded 2.0 I would be even happier... Aren't you guys going to GenCon to win the last 1.0 trophy? Are you letting some rival podcasts claim that honor? Come on, I need to absorb every bit of xwing knowledge I can before the ETC!

I'm merely Krayt associated, but I am planning on enjoying the main tournament at Gencon.  I'll be running the Quickdraw + 2 Silencers squad, which is a squad that I find enjoyable and interesting, while having a chance against some of the meta nastiness.

I still tend to enjoy 1.0 games, though, even against terrible meta stuff.

Oh I didn't want to derail the 2.0 stream of conscioussness, but I would love to hear your opinion on some ghost fenn matchups.

Do you think that its Kylo QD + is an easy one? Why so?

Have you any of you played the 100 points miranda (with whatever sheathipede) against a ghost fenn? what would be the first target? Lowhrick? Miranda?

Why almost all miranda players prefer to slam out of range rather than mans up and return fire? It's something you will have to do anyway at some point if you want to win, why not while lowhrick is still alive?

Any idea on how controlbot could fare against the ghost?

It seems that in the recent NA tournaments (I don't recall if they were SoS or whatever), alpha strikes, both rebels and scums, made a good showing, but they seem to be not played (or at least, not with the same success) in Europe. What do make them a good call across the pond, what are they countering?

1 minute ago, Biophysical said:

I'm merely Krayt associated, but I am planning on enjoying the main tournament at Gencon.  I'll be running the Quickdraw + 2 Silencers squad, which is a squad that I find enjoyable and interesting, while having a chance against some of the meta nastiness.

I still tend to enjoy 1.0 games, though, even against terrible meta stuff.

how do you rate your ghost fenn matchup?

6 minutes ago, Sunitsa said:

how do you rate your ghost fenn matchup?

That's a hard question.  In solitaire testing, I can pull out a win if I can take out Fenn reasonably early without taking too much damage.  I usually lose a ship doing it, but my remaining ships can handle the Ghost if I don't get myself in a position where a key block from a disembarking Zen can screw me.  

In competitive play, I've faced it twice with the Silencers and 100-0ed both lists in less than 45 minutes.  Both times, I strongly suspect my opponents didn't understand what my list was, because they set up an initial engagement as if I was picking their moves.  The 32 point Silencer is, as a whole, a very good piece against a PS3 Lothal Rebel.

8 minutes ago, Sunitsa said:

yeah 6 hp and autothruster are kinda bad to face. Don't you fear that QD might lose all his shields in 1 turn while fenn blocks his mod (or, if you have expertise, that the ghost would boost out of arc and remove the shields)?

I'm not really afraid of it, I expect it.  I would prefer it didn't happen, certainly, but it's pretty much going to happen against a decent player.  It does lead to the Silencers getting their likely double modded attacks into Fenn, though, which puts me on track for a 2x Silencer vs Lothal end game, which I'm 100% happy with.

12 hours ago, catachanninja said:

My general problem with stuff like this is that in order for me to not just kill sloan first, you need other threats in the list, which this doesn't necessarily provide.  Couple that with the increased squisyness of phantoms, and I think a turn 1-2 of combat sloan kill is possible, meaning I can get away with only one stressed ship.  Not saying it is inherently terrible, just that it won't dominate the meta because something will rise up to meet it.

Another factor here is just how small, the deathtrooper bubble is, and how easy it is to get out of it semi-reliably, especially if it is on a reaper.

4 minutes ago, Do I need a Username said:

Another factor here is just how small, the deathtrooper bubble is, and how easy it is to get out of it semi-reliably, especially if it is on a reaper.

Agreed. I still think they’re good, but I think there’s counterplay. Your opponent sees the deathtroopers, and what you’re trying to do.

15 minutes ago, Tlfj200 said:

Agreed. I still think they’re good, but I think there’s counterplay. Your opponent sees the deathtroopers, and what you’re trying to do.

The deathtroopers remind me of jax a bit with thier area denial, you can setup a nonblock pretty easy. Sloan is r3 for both abilities so i do not have to thrust whisper into danger constantly to trigger sloan. I think the viability of the list is going to be in how much help those ships can get. Neither of them are lebron so if the help looks like the cavs it won't hit the table.

2 hours ago, Do I need a Username said:

Yeah, that's big. Like, technically in 1.0 I can put Accuracy Corrector and Autoblaster Turret on a Ghost with a docked Phantom and murder anything that gets in my r1 bubble, but, that list won't win anything because you actually have to be completely insane to let yourself be in range 1 of that thing. 

Range 1 bubbles are easy enough to dodge if you know you need to dodge them. 

What's relevant here is that, unlike the Ghost example, a Death Trooper Reaper isn't most of your squadpoints, so it's a nice area-denial goalkeeper for the rest of your list

24 minutes ago, Brunas said:

Sorry the infection is terminal.  You can only disavow your kraytness by proclaiming "I'm free" within 24 hours of winning a world championship.

So does that mean you guys have to take credit for me when I lose literally every game at GenCon? ?

On that topic.

@Biophysical inspired me to fly this:

https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Galactic Empire&d=v4!s!269:140,-1,-1:56:24:U.247,U.23;269:140,-1,-1:56:24:U.247,U.23;269:140,-1,-1:56:24:U.247,U.23&sn=Unnamed Squadron&obs=

Which I quickly traded for this because I like to still be a threat when I SLAM:

https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Galactic Empire&d=v4!s!268:140,-1,-1:56:24:U.247,U.23;269:140,-1,-1:56:24:U.109,U.23;269:140,-1,-1:56:24:U.109,U.23&sn=Unnamed Squadron&obs=

I wasn't digging Karsabi so I traded to this:

https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Galactic Empire&d=v4!s!269:140,-1,-1:56:24:U.109,U.23;269:140,-1,-1:56:24:U.109,U.23;269:140,-1,-1:56:24:U.109,U.23&sn=Unnamed Squadron&obs=

But now I'm thinking about Fenn and other things ruining my day and wondering about this:

https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Galactic Empire&d=v4!s!269:19,126,243:61:25:U.-1,U.73;269:19,126,243:61:25:U.-1,U.73;269:19,126,243:61:25:U.-1,U.73&sn=Unnamed Squadron&obs=

What do?