SaltMaster 5000

Carolina Krayts is the best X-Wing podcast

1 hour ago, jagsba said:

counter counterpoint. Imperials have aces that can make use of the extra action your 19pt intel/coordinating bomber gives far better than a rebel 'ace'

I think we're discussing this elsewhere, too, but the other difference here is that Imperial Aces tend not to want to fly in close proximity to other ships.   Again, I think it will be good (and may even find a home in a broken list) but I don't think it will see the widespread use that it sees in Rebel list.  A 19 point bomber, especially without a focus, isn't long for this world in today's meta.   

I guess I see it this way, Imperials have cards that can give them additional actions already and while they aren't as flexible as Coordinate, they are there but they aren't seeing use.

40 minutes ago, AlexW said:

I think we're discussing this elsewhere, too,

lol we are, you went in more depth here so might as well pick it up here though.

but the other difference here is that Imperial Aces tend not to want to fly in close proximity to other ships.

In terms of proximity, the R2 band is pretty large, especially since the bomber doesn't really care about shooting and can move into that range before the ace goes. I'm imagining these builds to be double ace, bomber, and maybe another cheap piece? In which case you get utility from being R2 of either ace which opens up area even more. For sure people will have to put it on the board and suss out how feasible it is.

Again, I think it will be good (and may even find a home in a broken list) but I don't think it will see the widespread use that it sees in Rebel list.  A 19 point bomber, especially without a focus, isn't long for this world in today's meta.   

you're right that it won't see widespread use,  but it seems like a strong piece to build into a well thought out list. (also, arguably fenn doesn't see widespread use, he mainly sees use in two archetypes (ghost fenn and 100pt ace) that are widely used, which is all the bomber needs, one or two great lists to get big).

I guess I see it this way, Imperials have cards that can give them additional actions already and while they aren't as flexible as Coordinate, they are there but they aren't seeing use.

I think the big point is the flexibility though. We've seen a lot of cards and effects that were just sitting at the edge of being good and it just took a little push to make them viable (attanni needed ships with green turns, genius needed nym, soontir needed palp, etc). It very well could not end up happening, but a low PS coordinate seems far more useful in empire which has strong high PS ships than it does in rebels.

On topic of Silencer and movement...it is interesting seeing the movement blossom doing boost & BR before movement and doing it after.

Here's the blossom doing advanced sensor boost & BR before movement:

ptlbeforegreen-e1524765877493.png

Here it is afterwards.  It's much tighter.

ptaftergreen-e1524765922114.png

Overall good article on the topic here...

http://www.backtodials.com/arc-dodging-102-kylo-ren-and-the-new-meta-by-jonathan-conley/

52 minutes ago, viedit said:

On topic of Silencer and movement...it is interesting seeing the movement blossom doing boost & BR before movement and doing it after.

Here's the blossom doing advanced sensor boost & BR before movement:

ptlbeforegreen-e1524765877493.png

Here it is afterwards.  It's much tighter.

ptaftergreen-e1524765922114.png

Overall good article on the topic here...

http://www.backtodials.com/arc-dodging-102-kylo-ren-and-the-new-meta-by-jonathan-conley/

It's like the opening of a beautiful flower first thing on a fine spring morning, welcoming the sun and this fine new day....

And sorry - mandatory response - but Fel can't be everywhere at once! He can only be in one of those spots... just for some strange reason it's always the correct spot...

Really... FFG needs to add a HORROR emoticon/response to posts. It applies.

1 hour ago, viedit said:

The best part about those pics is that they're only his greens. If you include the 3 tallons on the 1st and hard 1s on the 2nd it gets even crazier

38 minutes ago, Makaze said:

The best part about those pics is that they're only his greens. If you include the 3 tallons on the 1st and hard 1s on the 2nd it gets even crazier

Or the casual 5 straight. Honestly it stops being meaningful after a bit, just put him wherever you want.

1 minute ago, GreenDragoon said:

Haha, my reaction was the opposite. I had quit competitive xwing, but now I can give it another try

My 8 year old has been playing this game for 2.5 years, in tournaments and at home. I'm not having him relearn a whole new game system when there are other things he should be learning about and experiencing.

X-wing 1.0 was known and comfortable, however broken it got, he still loved almost every game. Adding more complexity is just opening more door to abuse if things weren't properly planned for. Based on past experiences, it'll be more painless to just move on (and keep playing at home).

I'll need to find someone to take over as TO though, if the FLGS doesn't drop X-wing entirely when those expansions are many months late.

Hmm... Lots of new tokens to learn. The game looks a bit different in 2.0, hopefully the emphasis remains returns to maneuvering... I worry about those dials though. They look easy to accidentally switch up. I don't want to have to buy stacks of aftermarket pieces to make them reliable.