Sign in to follow this  
Martin_CY

was it a draw or did the orcs win?

hi, got into an interesting situation when we played a couple of days ago..

Orcs vs Dwarfs

but I'll distill it down to the situation that we did not know how to handle..

it is Orcs turn, his quest zone is burning and he got 2 damage left on his battlefield zone.

the Dwarf player got his battlefield zone burning and got 5 damage remaning on his kingdom zone.

the orc attack the kingdom zone with all he got (total of 10 damage), the dwarf player got 2 units in the kingdom zone and will be able to absorbe a total of 5 damage.. he would still lose, but.. in his quest zone he got one of those dwarf unit with "scout" and it has a "forced when another dwarf unit leave play do one damage to capital or unit"

so how would this actually play out? would it be a draw or is the dwarf capital destroyed before the dwarf player gets to inflict the two damage on the orc capital to destroy it as well and make it a draw?

how do things go on the chain/stack here? as in the rules it reads something like allocate the damage and remove the destroyed units, and next sentence is allocate damage to capital, so of course someone might try to argue that the units where removed before the damage was allocated to the capital and and then that would trigger the ability and the dwarf player would allocate his 2 damage to the orc capital..

I would say orcs win, because damage is assigned simultaneously to the units and to the capital, and Dwarf Scout forced ability triggers after a unit is destroyed, therefore the dwarf units and capital are destroyed and then, dwarf scout triggers his ability.

It would be interesting to see what happened in the case of a draw though. Being that there are 3 zones, maybe in the case that zone 2 of both players was burned at the same time, whoever's zone 3 burned first would lose.

well if somehow you managed to get a "game state" ability going were you would deck out. then it the turn player would win, because the instance your decked out you still lose.

Game state abilities tend to happen as the game moves it self along, yea it doesnt seem like it makes sense, but trust me.

What happens is the game has rules and regulations that it must follow in specific orders.

Damage resolution > check for burn > check for Game state Loss

so if some how this were to happen:

Damage resolution > Draw (if deck becomes 0 then go to check for game state loss) > check for burn > check for game state loss (from burn).

Either way the game has its process that it must perform, so either way you see it. there wouldn't be a draw. I think the only time there is a draw is when both players life reaches 0 but even then i believe the turn player would win the game (ill have to reference the rules book for this.)

the only time i would see a draw is if some ability happend that could not be stoped because the game state has entered an infinity loop. Usually when this happens the game cant proceed because its doing a sequence of events that wont let the game move on. Im not sure how the game handles these situations but if you ever come across it, id declare it a draw.

Any effect that caused both players to lose the last damage needed to their capital to burn their second zone, or caused both players to draw their last card simultaneously would be a draw. There is no preference in this game for active or inactive player in either the rulebook or the FAQ. Obviously this may change, but at present both would lose since the game state loss condition would be met simultaneously.

However that would not apply in this case, since the damage caused by the Orcs has to be applied BEFORE the Dwarf units' abilities kick in. As damage is applied to all targets simultaneously, by the time the damage from the Dwarfs' abilities is applied they have already lost.

That is absolutely correct, I was just pointing out to krazykidpsx that it could in fact happen that both players were subjected to a loss condition simultaneously and that being the active or inactive player, as of right now, has no bearing on the outcome.

dormouse said:

Any effect that caused both players to lose the last damage needed to their capital to burn their second zone, or caused both players to draw their last card simultaneously would be a draw. There is no preference in this game for active or inactive player in either the rulebook or the FAQ. Obviously this may change, but at present both would lose since the game state loss condition would be met simultaneously.

One possible example I can think of is:

- Empire vs. Chaos. Both players have only two cards left in their decks.
- During his turn, the Chaos player plays Will of Tzeentch ("Play during your turn. Action: Each player discards his hand and draws three cards.")

According to the rules, both players loose simultaneously. That would be a draw.

Exactly