Green Knight

Vassal Autumn 2017 Tournament (official thread)

On 7/24/2017 at 7:02 AM, Green Knight said:

NA:West Rankings

Rank Name Score MoV SoS
1 @Undeadguy 0 0 0.0
2 @SilentSteve 0 0 0.0
3 @Matt Antilles 0 0 0.0
4 @moodswing5537 0 0 0.0
5 @BiggsIRL 0 0 0.0
6 @JJs Juggernaut 0 0 0.0
7 @DoubleDown217 0 0 0.0
8 @Maturin 0 0 0.0
9 @Ardaedhel 0 0 0.0
10 @jp82729 0 0 0.0
11 @itzSteve 0 0 0.0
12 @SkyCake 0 0 0.0

Look at that. Already in first place.

27 minutes ago, Green Knight said:

Enjoy the feeling...I see this group has a couple of decent players :P

I'm excited to see the results of this. It will be good to test my mettle against other prominent names on the forums.

11 hours ago, Green Knight said:

Fleet lists are up: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qznAMmf9TWLkrdd_rNtWA37W9bpXw3bKqTkgyVNogBM/edit?usp=sharing

If you want to look at statistics and such, there are some hidden columns (I've removed the objectives tho).

Totally not humming list list list lililistttss on the bus at. Also did not think round one would be a sato off

8 minutes ago, Dr alex said:

Nice to see a Euro meta Vs a US meta. The US has gone Sloane heavy, Europe has gone anti-Sloane heavy, which means loads of Raiders and hammerheads and only one Sloane list.

obviously Europe is more sophisticated ?

I prefer to ignore Sloane. She's not worth the effort.

13 hours ago, BrobaFett said:

MHD bid 384, brobafettand skycake 383, Undead at 382 rounds out the winners of the bidding war :)

Skycake and Undead, you guys are great, but I hope I don't see you in the tourney!

I'm looking forward to the actual bid results this weekend from GenCon to shut all three of you up.

Anyway, @thecactusman17 and @Doppelganger are tentatively scheduled for August 29th, 10:30am Pacific Standard Time / 19:30pm European Central Time. 

Visovics vs Brobafett has concluded!

8-3 victory for Brobafett, 170pt MOV.

Visovics' fleet is a tough nut to crack, with it's 2 interdictors, one with Motti and a VSD-1 with external racks it's got a lot of hull to chew through. Disposible Capacitors on the Interdictors mean those double arcs hurt even when they aren't in blue range. Add in the fact he has dual grav wells, grav shift, and targeting scramblers on top of projection experts on both Interdictors and it is hard to remove anything from the board.

I brought a Motti ISD-2 Avenger with boarding troopers and a big ol' bid, combined with a VSD-2 backup avenger, also with boarding troopers. RBD's on both big gunships increases their chance of living, and 2 Gozanti's lift my activation count and shuttle the tiny squad CAP.

We played Vis' Station Assault objective, and he used the 'Dictor's to pull them back into his deployment, one between each Interdictor. The VSD deployed farthest to the right, past my ISD, to try and box him in.

I deployed my Gozanti's and the ISD in the grav well, with the VSD right on the outskirts at speed 2 and poised to flank. With some creative Hondo fueled token shuffling I was able to get the ISD a squad and nav token round 1, and he was off toward his targets at speed 2 with his BT token stashed. In fact, the win/lose in this match came down to Hondo, 100%. Without that 2pt upgrade I would have most likely lost.

The Zanti's shuffled most of the game, doing very little after turn 1 except providing activation delay and pestering the non-motti Interdictor with concentrate fire blues on it's aft :)

The Interdictors and Vis' VSD moved forward at speed 2, jogging right in formation hoping to split my ISD from my VSD and pin it in a blue dice kill box, which would have worked if he wasn't able to go from speed 0-2 the first turn. Turn 2 the ISD had a midrange front/long range side double arc on Motti's interdictor, and rolled big, stripping shields and putting a couple hull on that attack as the last activation of the turn, while putting him in a close range double arc for the first activation with Boarding troopers and avenger turn 3. Unfortunately, on the turn 3 double arc the rolls were horrendous. I got 5 damage from the front arc after concentrated fire, dual turbolasers, and leading shots rerolls. After the side arc, Motti was at 1 hull. Because the ISD was nestled almost touching the VSD, at speed 3 he was able to just hop over and was home free on the other side of the blockade with only empty space between him and the objective stations. I would go on to claim both of those for 80 bonus points.

End of turn 3 Vis had begun regenerating already, and Motti had taken off a hull and added 2 shields, but my VSD had positioned with Vis' smoldering Motti in his front arc sights and activated first to take Motti's Interdictor off the board at the start of turn 4. That left him in close range to a side arc from the VSD-1, and it spent External racks and rolled all blanks. The dice luck had reversed, and from there it was mostly over. My VSD got close to removing Vis' VSD, taking it down to 5 hull, but Vis disengaged it and flew it out of range. On turn 6, Vis needed a perfect roll (4 damage and an accuracy) out his side arc to claim a Gozanti and he got it. Dice luck turned again, but it was too late in the game.

Our squads spent the game shooting at each other, and all of them except Vis' Gamma and Jendon were removed. However, since his bombers failed to get a shot at a ship all game, I consider that a win for my squads even though he edged me out on points gained.

All in all it was a game plagued with bad dice, but Vis got the shorter end of that stick until that last turn. Score of 8-3 reflects two fleets relying on titanic amounts of hull to stay alive coming together and me getting a kill thanks to the fact I had the Avenger for offense that I was able to leverage for a single ship destroyed. Definitely a hard fought win and a well flown sortie by Vis, since if the ISD had been pinned it would have been lights out for me, without a shadow of a doubt. As always, Vis was as humble in defeat as he is in victory (as he and I have traded wins on a couple of occasions) and remains one of the nicest people to play in the game, in my opinion. Thanks for the great game Vis!

2 hours ago, BrobaFett said:

Visovics vs Brobafett has concluded!

8-3 victory for Brobafett, 170pt MOV.

Visovics' fleet is a tough nut to crack, with it's 2 interdictors, one with Motti and a VSD-1 with external racks it's got a lot of hull to chew through. Disposible Capacitors on the Interdictors mean those double arcs hurt even when they aren't in blue range. Add in the fact he has dual grav wells, grav shift, and targeting scramblers on top of projection experts on both Interdictors and it is hard to remove anything from the board.

I brought a Motti ISD-2 Avenger with boarding troopers and a big ol' bid, combined with a VSD-2 backup avenger, also with boarding troopers. RBD's on both big gunships increases their chance of living, and 2 Gozanti's lift my activation count and shuttle the tiny squad CAP.

We played Vis' Station Assault objective, and he used the 'Dictor's to pull them back into his deployment, one between each Interdictor. The VSD deployed farthest to the right, past my ISD, to try and box him in.

I deployed my Gozanti's and the ISD in the grav well, with the VSD right on the outskirts at speed 2 and poised to flank. With some creative Hondo fueled token shuffling I was able to get the ISD a squad and nav token round 1, and he was off toward his targets at speed 2 with his BT token stashed. In fact, the win/lose in this match came down to Hondo, 100%. Without that 2pt upgrade I would have most likely lost.

The Zanti's shuffled most of the game, doing very little after turn 1 except providing activation delay and pestering the non-motti Interdictor with concentrate fire blues on it's aft :)

The Interdictors and Vis' VSD moved forward at speed 2, jogging right in formation hoping to split my ISD from my VSD and pin it in a blue dice kill box, which would have worked if he wasn't able to go from speed 0-2 the first turn. Turn 2 the ISD had a midrange front/long range side double arc on Motti's interdictor, and rolled big, stripping shields and putting a couple hull on that attack as the last activation of the turn, while putting him in a close range double arc for the first activation with Boarding troopers and avenger turn 3. Unfortunately, on the turn 3 double arc the rolls were horrendous. I got 5 damage from the front arc after concentrated fire, dual turbolasers, and leading shots rerolls. After the side arc, Motti was at 1 hull. Because the ISD was nestled almost touching the VSD, at speed 3 he was able to just hop over and was home free on the other side of the blockade with only empty space between him and the objective stations. I would go on to claim both of those for 80 bonus points.

End of turn 3 Vis had begun regenerating already, and Motti had taken off a hull and added 2 shields, but my VSD had positioned with Vis' smoldering Motti in his front arc sights and activated first to take Motti's Interdictor off the board at the start of turn 4. That left him in close range to a side arc from the VSD-1, and it spent External racks and rolled all blanks. The dice luck had reversed, and from there it was mostly over. My VSD got close to removing Vis' VSD, taking it down to 5 hull, but Vis disengaged it and flew it out of range. On turn 6, Vis needed a perfect roll (4 damage and an accuracy) out his side arc to claim a Gozanti and he got it. Dice luck turned again, but it was too late in the game.

Our squads spent the game shooting at each other, and all of them except Vis' Gamma and Jendon were removed. However, since his bombers failed to get a shot at a ship all game, I consider that a win for my squads even though he edged me out on points gained.

All in all it was a game plagued with bad dice, but Vis got the shorter end of that stick until that last turn. Score of 8-3 reflects two fleets relying on titanic amounts of hull to stay alive coming together and me getting a kill thanks to the fact I had the Avenger for offense that I was able to leverage for a single ship destroyed. Definitely a hard fought win and a well flown sortie by Vis, since if the ISD had been pinned it would have been lights out for me, without a shadow of a doubt. As always, Vis was as humble in defeat as he is in victory (as he and I have traded wins on a couple of occasions) and remains one of the nicest people to play in the game, in my opinion. Thanks for the great game Vis!

Thanks for the game!

I do have to reinforce how tremendously awful the dice consistency was... he first shots of the game was from the vic into the 4 squads, and all 4 were hits, Broba managed some great dice at mid range, but when the BT double arc came... Also, my VSD broadside which started great as I managed 2 red crits and I now have nightmares as I rolled a blank black... followed by 2 blanks of ER... and another from CF... and on the OE reroll... 3 blanks and a damage... Also many times we had squadrons trying to kill each other but barely missing (specially a perfect damage roll from Mareek into Mauler, but without the acc it was worth nothing...)

Broba is as always a great opponent! And for the first time I play against him using Imperials, and they are as good as his rebels!!

I optimized the list a little bit (at least the EU one). It is a bit easier to read this way, and i could make some statistics.

Vassal Autumn 2017

EU pool has 12 players.
7 Imperial, 5 Rebel lists.
3 ships: 1
4 ships: 2
5 ships: 6
6 ships: 2
7 ships: 1

Average fleet: 394.42 points. Average ships: 5. Average squadrons points: 65.75 points, average squadrons: 4.75.
Flotilla: average number of Flotillas: 1.58; max. in a list: 4, min. in a list: 0.

On 8/16/2017 at 1:31 PM, Dr alex said:

Nice to see a Euro meta Vs a US meta. The US has gone Sloane heavy, Europe has gone anti-Sloane heavy, which means loads of Raiders and hammerheads and only one Sloane list.

obviously Europe is more sophisticated ?

Man I can't wait until @BrobaFettbeats your **** ****. :)

3 hours ago, Tokra said:

I optimized the list a little bit (at least the EU one). It is a bit easier to read this way, and i could make some statistics.

Vassal Autumn 2017

EU pool has 12 players.
7 Imperial, 5 Rebel lists.
3 ships: 1
4 ships: 2
5 ships: 6
6 ships: 2
7 ships: 1

Average fleet: 394.42 points. Average ships: 5. Average squadrons points: 65.75 points, average squadrons: 4.75.
Flotilla: average number of Flotillas: 1.58; max. in a list: 4, min. in a list: 0.

Haha I'm the only 3 ship fleet in Europe.

Shows how I don't need as many ships to win *insert some joke about stuck up here*