Green Knight

Vassal Autumn 2017 Tournament (official thread)

Announcing the next Vassal Tournament scene blockbuster:

The Vassal Autumn 2017 Tournament

Following on the heels of the two Vassal Freshman tournaments and the Vassal Summer tourney, this is going to be a super-fun event that takes the lessons learned from the previous tournaments to heart:

We’re doing two separate tourneys, one NA and one Euro, to minimize time zone scheduling issues. Then we’re bringing together the best of those two groups into one combined tourney to see who will become the ultimate Terran Champion of Armada!

Tournament format

Tier: Formal.

Don't read too much into the word "formal". It just means you should know how to play Armada, and have at least a basic familiarity with the Armada module.

Structure: Custom. Initial 3 rounds Swiss, followed by an 8-player elimination rounds cut.

Initial rounds Swiss format: 3 rounds Swiss in each of the NA and Euro zones.

This means everyone plays 3 games vs opponents in their time zone group over the course of six weeks. Hopefully this will cut down on scheduling concessions. I would have liked to do a 4-round one, but gotta keep the total length of the tourney down.

Qualification for final rounds: There are several ways to qualify for the 8 spots in the elimination rounds. This is meant to keep things interesting for everyone until the very end of Swiss play.

For each of the 3 time zone groups (Euro, NA:West and NA:East) there are 2 qualification slots (6 of the total 8):

• Players ranked 1st are directly qualified as number 1 in their group.
• Players ranked 2-5 will be randomly paired, then have about 1 week to play a game. The winner with THE HIGHEST POINT SCORE qualifies (normal tiebreakers) as number 2 in his group - so not only do you have to win, you have to win big.

Finally there are 2 wild card slots:

• The highest single MoV (normal tiebreakers) in a single game qualifies as number 1 in the wild card group.
• The second highest MoV (normal tiebreakers) in a single game qualifies as number 2 in the wild card group.

Final rounds Elimination format: Number 1 in each group gets paired with number 2 in one of the other groups, and so forth, giving this matchup scheme.

Q1: Euro 1 vs Wild 2
                    Semi 1 ??? vs ???
Q2: NA:E 1 vs NA:W 2
                                Final ??? vs ???
Q3: NA:W 1 vs NA:E 2
                    Semi 2 ??? vs ???
Q4: Wild 1 vs Euro 2

TO/Marshal: Green Knight.

Judges: It is normally up to the players to resolve any disputes. If in doubt, they are free to ask spectators for advice, but must ultimately reach a gentleman's agreement – or roll the dice if no agreement can be reached.

That said, I do hope some players are willing to step forward and take on the role of judges, like we did for the Summer tourney. To become a judge, apply in the registration form (the same one you use for submitting a fleet).

Judges can oc participate; they just can't judge their own matches!

Euro sector judges: @Ginkapo @Tokra

NA sector judges: @CaribbeanNinja @JJs Juggernaut

Tournament FAQ: A tournament FAQ will be made available to answer any issues not addressed by the recent FAQ.

Fleets: Standard 400 pt, max 134 squads. No admiral lifeboats. Everything up to and including wave 6 legal.

Objectives: Objectives are secret, as per the tourney regs, but must be submitted along with the rest of your list to the TO.

Deadline to register/submit fleets: Sunday, August 13th.

Players are free to update submitted fleets up until the deadline (just send in a new registration form – it’s no hassle for me, so no limits on resubmissions)

LINK TO REGISTER/SUBMIT FLEET: Registration/submission closed!

LINK TO FLEET LISTS: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qznAMmf9TWLkrdd_rNtWA37W9bpXw3bKqTkgyVNogBM/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by Green Knight

SCHEDULE

Swiss Round 1: From Thursday, August 17th to Wednesday, August 30th

Swiss Round 2: From Thursday, August 31st to Wednesday, September 13th

Swiss Round 3: From Thursday, September 14th to Wednesday, September 27th

Extra qualification round: From Thursday, September 28th to Sunday, October 8th

Elimination round 1 (quarter finals): From Monday, October 9th to TBA

Elimination round 2 (semi-finals): TBA

Elimination round 3 (final): TBA

Edited by Green Knight

Rulings and clarifications

MEASURING:

When a squadron activates, signal activation by toggling the activation slider immediately. Do NOT wait until the squad is done activation.

When moving squadrons, players may utilize a SECOND range/distance overlay (in addition to the distance overlay of the squadron they are moving), without violating the two-tool rule.

When a squadron is placed, the final position cannot be adjusted. A squadron has NOT been finally placed until the owning player releases the mouse button and declares he's done (report: SET or similar confirmation).

SLOW PLAY:

Slow play is hard to adjudicate on Vassal since we don't use a timer, but 3 hours should be MORE THAN SUFFICIENT to complete a match. Add 30 mins if using text-chat only. If matches take longer than this, one or both players are guilty of slow play.

The most typical (Vassal) mode of slow play is over-measuring. This is when a player takes several minutes to fiddle with the maneuver tool, even for inconsequential moves. Often he will also clear the maneuver tool and remeasure distance/range, before resuming fiddling with the man tool. If both players do this on a regular basis, games take forever.

Other examples include taking a long time to decide upon setup, setting new commands slowly, having trouble selecting which ship to activate, constantly fiddling with squadrons' final positions (now illegal), etc.

If you feel your opponent is taking to long CALL HIM OUT IN A POLITE, YET CONCISE MANNER. Just be sure you're not guilty of the same. My point isn't that player should rush; my point is that reasonably fast play is more fun for all. If both players go into the match having speedy play as a goal, this should not be a problem.

OTHER RULES:

Scoring: Standard scoring from the tourney regs (Swiss rounds). 

Conceding: If a player concedes, his opponent scores a win (8 tournament points and 140 MoV during Swiss). If, however, the winner would score MORE as calculated from the end state, he scores that number of tournament points and MoV instead. This rule WILL be enforced; no auto 10-1 wins for a player whose opponent has conceded. Conceding without good cause is just lame; so don't.

No show: If a player fails to log on for a scheduled match his opponent receives the the win (8 tournament points and 140 MoV).

Failure to schedule: If players are unable to schedule a game they both receive a loss (0 tournament points and 0 MoV). If it's clearly the fault of one of the players it counts as a no show for that player instead.

Extensions: If you cannot complete a game within the period allotted to a round, contact the TO (Green Knight). We might be able to work something if the delay isn’t too long and the game is definitely going to be played. If you fail to contact the TO this counts as failure to schedule.

Saving and resuming: If a match cannot be completed in one sitting, it's OK to save and resume at a later date IF BOTH PLAYERS AGREE. If they can't agree, one player must concede. It is therefore a good idea to establish for how long both parties can play before starting the match. This rule also applies if one player suddenly has a RL interruption and must leave.

Edited by Green Knight

NA:East

Round 1

1: @itzSteve VS @SkyCake - Match Results: @itzSteve is the winner 463 to 99
2: @moodswing5537 VS @Ardaedhel - Match Results: @moodswing5537 is the winner 162 to 140
3: @Undeadguy VS @jp82729 - Match Results: @Undeadguy is the winner 311 to 81
4: @Matt Antilles VS @JJs Juggernaut - Match Results: @JJs Juggernaut is the winner 61 to 115
5: @Maturin VS @SilentSteve - Match Results: @Maturin is the winner 218 to 211
6: @DoubleDown217 VS @BiggsIRL - Match Results: @BiggsIRL is the winner 0 to 215

Round 2

1: @itzSteve VS @Undeadguy - Match Results: @Undeadguy is the winner 123 to 339
2: @BiggsIRL VS @moodswing5537 - Match Results: @BiggsIRL is the winner 239 to 88
3: @JJs Juggernaut VS @Maturin - Match Results: @JJs Juggernaut is the winner 333 to 95
4: @Ardaedhel VS @Matt Antilles - Match Results: @Ardaedhel is the winner 236 to 95
5: @SilentSteve VS @DoubleDown217 - Match Results: @DoubleDown217 is the winner 99 to 231
6: @jp82729 VS @SkyCake - Match Results: @SkyCake is the winner 122 to 303

Round 3

1: @Undeadguy VS @BiggsIRL - Match Results: @Undeadguy is the winner 417 to 65
2: @JJs Juggernaut VS @itzSteve - Match Results: @itzSteve is the winner 146 to 164
3: @Ardaedhel VS @DoubleDown217 - Match Results: @Ardaedhel is the winner 430 to 71
4: @SkyCake VS @moodswing5537 - Match Results: @SkyCake is the winner 332 to 159
5: @SilentSteve VS @Matt Antilles - Match Results: @Matt Antilles is the winner 0 to 366
6: @Maturin VS @jp82729 - Match Results: @Maturin is the winner 281 to 208

Rankings

Rank Name Score MoV SoS
1 @Undeadguy 27 798 5.0
2 @Ardaedhel 23 500 4.556
3 @JJs Juggernaut 20 292 5.778
4 @itzSteve 19 382 7.111
5 @Matt Antilles 18 366 5.889
6 @BiggsIRL 17 366 5.556
7 @SkyCake 17 354 4.444
8 @Maturin 15 80 4.333
9 @moodswing5537 12 22 6.333
10 @DoubleDown217 11 132 5.556
11 @SilentSteve 10 0 4.889
12 @jp82729 9 0 6.556

Win big or go home

1: @itzSteve VS @Matt Antilles
2: @JJs Juggernaut VS @Ardaedhel

Rankings

Rank Name Score MoV SoS
1 @Matt Antilles 0 0 0.0
2 @Ardaedhel 0 0 0.0
3 @JJs Juggernaut 0 0 0.0
4 @itzSteve 0 0 0.0

======

NA:West

Round 1

1: @rasproteus VS @CaribbeanNinja - Match Results: @CaribbeanNinja is the winner
2: @Paindemic7708 VS @comatose - Match Results: @Paindemic7708 is the winner 456 to 267
3: @Roquax VS @Thrindal - Match Results: @Roquax is the winner 420 to 100
4: @doobleg VS @PartyPotato - Match Results: @doobleg is the winner 230 to 151
5: @RStan VS @mhd - Match Results: @mhd is the winner 137 to 208
6: @GiledPallaeon VS @Viktor Tanek - Match Results: @GiledPallaeon is the winner 454 to 25

Round 2

1: @GiledPallaeon VS @Roquax - Match Results: @Roquax is the winner 119 to 400
2: @Paindemic7708 VS @CaribbeanNinja - Match Results: @Paindemic7708 is the winner 400 to 137
3: @doobleg VS @mhd - Match Results: @mhd is the winner 36 to 422
4: @PartyPotato VS @RStan - Match Results: @PartyPotato is the winner
5: @comatose VS @rasproteus - Match Results: @comatose is the winner 219 to 71
6: @Viktor Tanek VS @Thrindal - Match Results: @Thrindal is the winner 272 to 345

Round 3

1: @Roquax VS @Paindemic7708 - Match Results: @Roquax is the winner 400 to 22
2: @mhd VS @GiledPallaeon - Match Results: @mhd is the winner 423 to 196
3: @PartyPotato VS @comatose - Match Results: @PartyPotato is the winner
4: @CaribbeanNinja VS @Thrindal - Match Results: @CaribbeanNinja is the winner 441 to 171
5: @doobleg VS @rasproteus - Match Results: @doobleg is the winner 320 to 201
@Viktor Tanek has a BYE

Rankings

Rank Name Score MoV SoS
1 @Roquax 29 979 4.667
2 @mhd 26 684 3.889
3 @PartyPotato 21 390 3.778
4 @CaribbeanNinja 19 428 4.222
5 @Paindemic7708 18 452 6.778
6 @doobleg 15 198 6.333
7 @GiledPallaeon 14 400 7.556
8 @comatose 13 148 5.444
9 @Viktor Tanek 13 140 4.0
10 @Thrindal 10 73 6.778
11 @rasproteus 10 0 5.222
0 (D#3)@RStan 4 0 7.833

Win big or go home

1: @mhd VS @CaribbeanNinja - Match Results: @CaribbeanNinja is the winner 68 to 87
2: @PartyPotato VS @Paindemic7708 - Match Results: @Paindemic7708 is the winner 66 to 227

Rankings

Rank Name Score MoV SoS
1 @Paindemic7708 8 161 3.0
2 @CaribbeanNinja 6 19 5.0
3 @mhd 5 0 6.0
4 @PartyPotato 3 0 8.0

======

Euro

Round 1

1: @Dr Alex VS @Villakarvarousku - Match Results: @Villakarvarousku is the winner 280 to 323
2: @BrobaFett VS @Visovics - Match Results: @BrobaFett is the winner 251 to 81
3: @Doppelganger VS @thecactusman17 - Match Results: @thecactusman17 is the winner
4: @realadmirals VS @Tokra - Match Results: @Tokra is the winner
5: @Irishmadcat VS @Ginkapo - Match Results: @Irishmadcat is the winner 265 to 196
6: @Dorrin314 VS @NobodyInParticular - Match Results: @Dorrin314 is the winner 178 to 0

Round 2

1: @Tokra VS @Dorrin314 - Match Results: @Tokra is the winner 314 to 0
2: @BrobaFett VS @thecactusman17 - Match Results: @thecactusman17 is the winner
3: @Irishmadcat VS @Villakarvarousku - Match Results: @Irishmadcat is the winner 342 to 243
4: @Dr Alex VS @Ginkapo - Match Results: @Dr Alex is the winner 288 to 120
5: @Doppelganger VS @NobodyInParticular - Match Results: @NobodyInParticular is the winner 178 to 251
6: @Visovics VS @realadmirals - Match Results: @realadmirals is the winner 80 to 262

Round 3

1: @Tokra VS @thecactusman17 - Match Results: @Tokra is the winner
2: @Irishmadcat VS @Dr Alex - Match Results: @Dr Alex is the winner 159 to 260
3: @BrobaFett VS @NobodyInParticular - Match Results: @NobodyInParticular is the winner 129 to 223
4: @Villakarvarousku VS @Dorrin314 - Match Results: @Dorrin314 is the winner 185 to 212
5: @realadmirals VS @Ginkapo - Match Results: @realadmirals is the winner 441 to 25
6: @Doppelganger VS @Visovics - Match Results: @Doppelganger is the winner

Rankings

Rank Name Score MoV SoS
1 @Tokra 28 854 5.444
2 @Dr Alex 20 269 4.556
3 @realadmirals 19 582 4.667
4 @Irishmadcat 18 168 4.778
5 @NobodyInParticular 17 167 5.111
6 @BrobaFett 16 170 4.222
7 @thecactusman17 15 245 6.556
8 @Dorrin314 15 205 6.667
9 @Doppelganger 15 140 4.222
10 @Villakarvarousku 15 43 5.889
11 @Ginkapo 8 0 6.333
12 @Visovics 6 0 5.556

Win big or go home

1: @Irishmadcat VS @NobodyInParticular - Match Results: @Irishmadcat is the winner 170 to 132
2: @realadmirals VS @Dr Alex - Match Results: @realadmirals is the winner 120 to 20

Rankings

Rank Name Score MoV SoS
1 @realadmirals 7 100 4.0
2 @Irishmadcat 6 38 5.0
3 @NobodyInParticular 5 0 6.0
4 @Dr Alex 4 0 7.0
Edited by Green Knight

NA: West qualifiers

@Undeadguy

@2nd slot NA:W (itzsteve/Matt Antilles/JJ/Ard)

NA: East qualifiers

@Roquax

Euro qualifiers

@Tokra

@Rearadmiralsdoitinspace

MoV wild cards

@mhd

======

Quarter finals

Q1: @Tokra vs @mhd

Q2: @Roquax vs @JJs Juggernaut

Q3: @Undeadguy vs @Paindemic7708

Q4: @GiledPallaeon vs @Rearadmiralsdoitinspace

Edited by Green Knight

5 minutes ago, Tokra said:

Count me in (but you already knew this :P). Will register on the google twinky thinky when i know what i will play.

I can as well be a judge for the EU sector.

You'll like the submission form - it will give you a nice spreadsheet to work with :D

3 hours ago, Green Knight said:

When a squadron is placed, the final position cannot be adjusted. A squadron has NOT been finally placed until the owning player releases the mouse button and declares he's done (report: SET or similar confirmation).

What is the leniency on this? I've got a mouse that will occasionally click on its own and release whatever I am dragging. It creates squad movements that look really weird. Like moving half of its base...

So far I haven't had any issues with my opponents calling me on it, but I'm also not Mr. Cheaty Mouse Clicker.

28 minutes ago, Undeadguy said:

What is the leniency on this? I've got a mouse that will occasionally click on its own and release whatever I am dragging. It creates squad movements that look really weird. Like moving half of its base...

So far I haven't had any issues with my opponents calling me on it, but I'm also not Mr. Cheaty Mouse Clicker.

The old text (Summer edition) had a phrasing indicating 'except when obviously not intentional/wrong'. I edited that out since it felt superfluous.

Of course, once again, feel free to address potential FAQ Questions to me.

I will get the FAQ up and online hopefully Tonight, so please wait until after its online before flooding the ol' inbox, in case I've actually answered anything pre-emptively :)

EDIT:

I've formed the basis and sent the link to GK for final approval before his posting...  Keep checking to see when he updates the links above.

EDIT II:
Many Bothans Died to bring you additional answers in this FAQ.

bms0010thumb.jpg

Edited by Drasnighta

I don't think participation fits well with my TO/Marshal duties.

I've been away taking some courses and exams, plus a wholly undeserved 4 week vacation.

Got my wave 6 stuff yesterday and tried out all the new stuff vs one of the bros. Great fun!

1 hour ago, Green Knight said:

I don't think participation fits well with my TO/Marshal duties.

From a Legality Standpoint:

It is entirely your call to make, but as a defacto independent judge, delegated by you (due to the efforts of me putting together an FAQ for you)

- My very existence allows you to play, if you so desire.   :D

As by no means is a Vassal Tournament a Premier Event ;)

But I know the feels.  I rarely play when I'm TO-ing Local.  I only play to break byes.

2 hours ago, Drasnighta said:

From a Legality Standpoint:

It is entirely your call to make, but as a defacto independent judge, delegated by you (due to the efforts of me putting together an FAQ for you)

- My very existence allows you to play, if you so desire.   :D

As by no means is a Vassal Tournament a Premier Event ;)

But I know the feels.  I rarely play when I'm TO-ing Local.  I only play to break byes.

It's more about list submissions and matchup generation and such. If I were to play then I'd feel obligated to hand that over. And then I would not be TOing anymore :)