Elvenwisdom

a curious question on runwars success

so if you haven't guessed I was wondering how well is runewars doing I noticed they sold out at first at miniature market but is it still going strong on sales in all places? I want to see this game do well it is pretty good I hope it will be as popular as x wing but it doesn't have the fanbase star wars does!

42 minutes ago, Elvenwisdom said:

ok good  I have bad memories of supporting failing games like golem arcana.... this one looks like it has promise and trying to get  dedicated group started soon!

Too soon man....

I still have a ton of Golem Arcana stuff. I wanted that to be the big wargame I'd be playing, I really liked how the system worked and my friends had a lot of fun.

Unfortunately, I think the app needed to have a critical mass of features before it would have caught on. It wasn't polished enough at release and people really wanted the remote play option.

FFG is better than soda pop miniatures at least in regards to sticking with their games they had a good thing going with ninja all stars and then they just tossed it aside like super dungeon explore is on the same road. with FFG though the games are hit and miss they stick with their games but they don't always do well I know the have great games though don't get me wrong its just it is a really popular game or a memory...

3 hours ago, Waywardpaladin said:

Too soon man....

I still have a ton of Golem Arcana stuff. I wanted that to be the big wargame I'd be playing, I really liked how the system worked and my friends had a lot of fun.

Unfortunately, I think the app needed to have a critical mass of features before it would have caught on. It wasn't polished enough at release and people really wanted the remote play option.

lol I love golem arcana too I still have it in my closet I wish it would have done better :(

I play when we get a chance but currently as above, we are limited, and I've only got 1/2 my Daqan painted (hoped to have more than 8 trays or spears, hawthorne, kari, 2 golem and 5 trays of cav before Elves dropped.  We'll see.  That said I am thoroughly enjoying painting figures instead of space ships (Armada).  Some folks also won't want to field/play until they paint up, its a thing and it happens. 

The core set selling like literal hotcakes and being hard to find is a sign of a pretty solid start. 

I plan on starting a group like I said and I hope to play with a massive army that takes up a 9x9 battlefield but that wont be for a while. also If they add story based ( I think its called narrative) play then it will be more popular. we as fans of the game need to get the word out on this one as it does all the things warhamer fantasy did right and got rid of the bad stuff, AND added xwing rules to the mix. which reminds me it is good for people who like x wing but want a fantasy experience. of course there WAS attack wing dnd style. but its gone... mostly

5 minutes ago, Elvenwisdom said:

I plan on starting a group like I said and I hope to play with a massive army that takes up a 9x9 battlefield but that wont be for a while. also If they add story based ( I think its called narrative) play then it will be more popular. we as fans of the game need to get the word out on this one as it does all the things warhamer fantasy did right and got rid of the bad stuff, AND added xwing rules to the mix. which reminds me it is good for people who like x wing but want a fantasy experience. of course there WAS attack wing dnd style. but its gone... mostly

sorry got the measurements wrong you get the idea lol

Zero uptake in my area (Norwich, UK). I was literally the only person to turn up to the launch tournament event. Sad, but there you have it. I think the generic-feel to its lore and the slightly lower-than-average model quality have damaged the game in my area, which is rife with swanky Sigmar sculpts and is also still bossed by X-wing. A shame, as I rate the ruleset for Runewars as A+ ...

18 hours ago, banjobenito said:

Zero uptake in my area (Norwich, UK). I was literally the only person to turn up to the launch tournament event. Sad, but there you have it. I think the generic-feel to its lore and the slightly lower-than-average model quality have damaged the game in my area, which is rife with swanky Sigmar sculpts and is also still bossed by X-wing. A shame, as I rate the ruleset for Runewars as A+ ...

fortunately it varies from place to place like here in Daytona it is hard to find a hordes/warmachine crowd but the game is doing extremely well I think if they stick with it then it will be a big hit soon!

heh, yeah it takes time to get factions painted and really push the established brands for war game time.  I see people bringing more and more in and discussing it while playing xwing or warhammer.

On 7/23/2017 at 3:39 PM, mulletcheese said:

At my local store everybody bought it and nobody plays it. It's normal for FFG to start a competitive game with too few options, it'll be another year before runewars gains Any real traction.

This is part of how we are feeling in our group.

We have about 8 of us in our community who intend to play - hopefully more once elves are out and we start doing a few events. As we talk about the game - we just think "Hey - it's awesome, it fun and quick to play - I can't wait to start playing until the Spring!"

Only a couple of us have bought in at this point - because we wanted the humans and the undead... the elves and Uthuk players are obviously anxiously awaiting the next several months to get their armies - but we aren't pushing anything until after they are all setup and really ready to roll with their armies.

So for now - as an undead player - I just have ALL the time in the world to paint my minis - get a game in now and again and make terrain etc.

6-8 months from now - when we can all play - it'll be great! :)

The core set is sold out at the publisher. But it is very easy to find in distribution, so not quite a X-Wing situation. And that's a good thing! I don't think this means RW is in trouble; more like FFG is getting better at distro.

I wouldn't worry about not seeing much play at the LGS at this point. The game is still pretty new and the core factions are still being released.

FFG has shown remarkable iniative supporting this line, doubtless aided by Runewars being a FFG property. RW is a great contaast to, for example, Armada. There is no comparison to DOA flops like Golem Arcana.

Right now, the best measure of RW's success will be how much FFG covers it at GenCon ... This could be a tough one because the L5R release is a big deal.

Hawktel bought into it and have been playing it at our LFS. We've plenty of people asking questions, and store sales of been good. Even to go so far as start a Facebook group. 

Armada kinda started like that. I believe once the other factions drop it'll take off. 

There was a ton of interest from game store owners and players at launch, and then it seemed like we had about a month or month and a half of building momentum, but that got sapped by the early summer releases.

There was terrible timing as it seems like a ton of games launched or rebooted. A lot of guys that were eager to get copies are spending their time now playing the new 40k which has been well recieved or Star Wars Destiny. X-Wing even got an uptick with the FAQ and latest wave. In a way, FFG helped kill momentum just at the wrong time.

I still side with @TallTonyB on this. As more content is released, many of these players will come back. The fact that people were interested at first shows that there is something special here for folks to get excited about. I think that when OP rules are released and all 4 factions are out, people will return to Runewars.

The marketplace for fantasy miniatures tabletop combat is going to be fascinating to watch with a number of big dog gaming companies in the fight. FFG's Runewars should be 4 factions deep before the competition jumps into this but the others (GW & CMoN) appear to have aggressive plans. I believe CMoN's Song of Ice and Fire Kickstarter is going to be a relative success despite many preaching doom and after retail release will quickly reach 4 factions. I will be interested to see where Runewars is at next Spring when SoIaF hits the market. Around that same time GW will have completed the full unveiling of the rebranding process for their Middle Earth SBG (not mass combat, but still a significant contender within said marketplace I believe) and GW seems to be making a lot of good PR and branding moves (I know, shocking!) over the past 8-12 months.  Thankfully these games are fairly different from one another in style, IP, branding, gameplay, etc. 

Personally, I find this to be quite exciting (so far I have options to field full units of each unit type for both of the RW factions (with Elves pending), pledged for SoIaF, and I already have most of the LotR/Hobbit stuff I want), however, with competition there are winners and losers and I can't help but wonder who may or may not be the winners and losers in this tussle. And this isn't even accounting for other wargames (sci-fi and such) ... some areas saw a loss of RW enthusiasm, or at least have been distracted in some way, as a result of the release of 40k 8th (for instance, one LGS in my area hosted a RW intro event but during the event most event/store reps were talking about 40k). That said, I believe RW hit the marketplace at the right time ... and lean toward agreeing with Budgernaut and TallTonyB ... the 4 factions should rekindle interest for areas that have lost it. 

@Hellfire33 That's a good read on the environment. If anything minis buzz will get people talking about the minis environment and at least get RW on people's radar. GW has a lot of ground to cover to get back prior miffed fans (like myself). CMON has the Kickstarter hurdle because their stuff is already known to be so collectible and part of the fun of a minis game like RW is that you don't need everything. FFG and RW is actually in a really good space right now, they just need some OP buzz and maybe some different price point options to attract people. Once they're in the door, the game has great mechanics and lore, so it's an easy close to the deal.