Sign in to follow this  
Velvetelvis

Kylo RAC vs. the Biggs lowboski

Fishing for meta advice but also a sort of rules question I guess.

If I'm flying kylo RAC against the indestructible Biggs lowskill Rex and Jess pava list, is the call to put the kylo condition onto Jess pava even though I shoot at Biggs?

Jess takes the uncanceled crit and therefore triggering the condition?

I'm trying to figure out if RAC whisper has a chance of making things happen.

Although...with all the cruise missles and tlt.. maybe a decimator should stay on the shelf.

8 minutes ago, Biophysical said:

Honestly, I think the answer is to skip Kylo until Biggs is dead, use your actions for damage or arc dodging. 

Pretty much.

In terms of the rules question, it's eminently arguable whether the crit from DTF would cause Jess to get STDSed but either way, you're better off just loading damage into Biggles and taking as little as possible yourself.

3 minutes ago, Velvetelvis said:

Thank you bio. Can ra and whisper even kill Biggs? 

I'll admit I think I'm jaded. If fifteen dice can't kill Biggs....can anything?

The 15 dice stat is deceptive.  It's only important if you just have to kill Biggs in one turn, which, of course, you don't.  I fully expect RAC/Whisper to have game against the list, even if it isn't easy.  Selflessness works once, and Whisper and RAC  are pounding hard every turn.  

This list (Biggs Lowrisky as I like to all it) has seen insane levels of success, but it is still super early and counter play hasn't seemed to get in play yet (if it has a chance that is). I think ruthlessness TLTs might actually be an incredibly strong option against the list. Which is a problem. We are essentially at the point where the best answer to a NPE experience may be... another NPE experience.

5 minutes ago, Kdubb said:

This list (Biggs Lowrisky as I like to all it) has seen insane levels of success, but it is still super early and counter play hasn't seemed to get in play yet (if it has a chance that is). I think ruthlessness TLTs might actually be an incredibly strong option against the list. Which is a problem. We are essentially at the point where the best answer to a NPE experience may be... another NPE experience.

My gut tells me that ace-miniswarm lists might have some real legs against it.  The squad is not mobile, and if you can block it up, a couple heavy hitters can do serious damage over time.

This is with some pretty generous definitions of "ace".  Maybe "high-low mix" is a better description.

Edited by Biophysical

Just now, Biophysical said:

My gut tells me that ace-miniswarm lists might have some real legs against it.  The squad is not mobile, and if you can block it up, a couple heavy hitters can do serious damage over time.

I've thought this as well. Perhaps in the end, this list will be a good thing and bring swarm play back in. I mean, one thing that is easy to forget when this list is stacking up the wins before it's even had time to introduce itself, is that the list is based entirely on staying in formation. You wedge a coupe tie fighters right in the middle of those guys, and the list might just be ruined for the rest of the game. 

Also, I have never until this point thought AoE options were worthwhile (other than bombs), but they are looking real intriguing all of a sudden.

its too bad the other half of the game is still pretty heavily 2 or 3 ships.

4 minutes ago, Kdubb said:

I've thought this as well. Perhaps in the end, this list will be a good thing and bring swarm play back in. I mean, one thing that is easy to forget when this list is stacking up the wins before it's even had time to introduce itself, is that the list is based entirely on staying in formation. You wedge a coupe tie fighters right in the middle of those guys, and the list might just be ruined for the rest of the game. 

Also, I have never until this point thought AoE options were worthwhile (other than bombs), but they are looking real intriguing all of a sudden.

its too bad the other half of the game is still pretty heavily 2 or 3 ships.

The idea that I keep mulling over in my head is 2 Strikers + 2 other ships.  On the very low end, that's 34 points for two Trainees, and I think it's reasonable to add a few points to make them Scariff Defenders (36), with or without Lightweight Frame, as points allow.  They're so fast, so they're great at blocking, and they've got some good firepower for the points.  You've then got 60-66 points for a couple more ships.  Omega Leader+heavier ace, or two medium aces.  

The main problem with this list is that you're flying a couple TIE Strikers, which aren't super tough, and more importantly, are more taxing to fly than the average ship, although they are awesome.  

19 minutes ago, Kdubb said:

I'll gladly take the NPE of Ruthlessness TLTs.  3 point EPTs cancelled by not flying in a range 1 formation :)

30 minutes ago, Biophysical said:

This is with some pretty generous definitions of "ace".  Maybe "high-low mix" is a better description.

...how about something like:

Rexler Brath - Ruthlessness, TIE/D, Tractor Beam

Black Squadron Pilot

Black Squadron Pilot - Crackshot x 3

All the ships in the list are really vulnerable to Tractor Beams, and although you still have to target Biggs first, screwing with the formation where you can will be a help.  Ruthlessness adds an extra couple of points of damage per turn, the naked Black takes the lead as a potential blocker, with the Crackshotters flying in behind.

It's not exactly amazeballs against much else, mind.