Marxander97

Resistance A-Wing

It's weird that they keep going with the inverted color pallet idea.  With the other resistance A-wings I have seen it was a red body with a white stripe down the middle.  Also it is weird that it is longer, I kind of wonder what is in that longer nose cone.  I honestly just think that they are making the ships look more like the original concept art.

https://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/c/c7/MCQ-awing.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20150622021026

And this guy's amazing render of it

666a246749a1b03b46f11fa5f88ffdce.jpg

Looks like the Last Jedi version did keep the buckteeth front end from the original trilogy design though.

I like the port and starboard targeting screens on that render, seems like a nice little nod to the little radar circles from the flight sims.

5 hours ago, ficklegreendice said:

meet the new A, same as the old A

seriously, what happened to it over 30 years apart from reverting to the prototype paint scheme?

Nothing, just like the Xwing. They just used them to ignite our nostalgia, instead of risking making a new design we might not like. Good business strategy. Bad storytelling.

15 minutes ago, JJFDVORAK said:

Nothing, just like the Xwing. They just used them to ignite our nostalgia, instead of risking making a new design we might not like. Good business strategy. Bad storytelling.

well, the x-wing at least had a token effort to distinguish it from the OT variant (and I personally really like how the T-70 looks in x-wing miniatures specifically, FFG really works modeling magic on their all ships)

in this case, though, it's not even that apart from apparently the length and the polygonal cockpit

all I can imagine is that, with the republic utterly obliterated, the resistance has to scrounge up old ships and lo there are the As.

36 minutes ago, JJFDVORAK said:

You mean like the horrible looking new bombers from the trailer (or whatever they are)?

I just started reading the aftermath series of books, that takes place after the battle of Endor.

im only half way into book one and I don't want to spoiler anything, but minor spoilers ahead. I get the feeling that after the victory and a new senate was formed they moved quick to demilitarize the republic. 

It makes sense that the A Wing would only have evolved slightly. Also, if you look back to the old republic it appears tech evolves slowly in the Star Wars universe. 

2 hours ago, HungryFFG said:

You mean like the horrible looking new bombers from the trailer (or whatever they are)?

Nebulon B-wing*

In all honesty, I LOVE goofy ships but dear god there's a limit to everything and we just went 5-foward past it

5a63014bd97e16ae304281622d0d2e70429aecae

posting the lego set because it's those goofy ***, rear-facing guns that really get me

Edited by ficklegreendice

While it doesn't wow me, I'm not bothered by the resistance bomber. It's a new design, but still has the look of a "WW 2 -1960's x-plane in space", so I'll allow it for now. The A-wings at 40 odd-years old aren't that big of a sticking point either. When my brother was training as an F-15C pilot he told me most of those planes were as old or older than him. He said lots of the keypads had the numbers mostly rubbed off. Some C-130 and B-52 air frames are from the Vietnam era. Lots of railroad locomotives are decades old and still grind it out day after day. A few electric locomotives are actually a century old. What we're not seeing (especially at 1/270 scale) are the replacement components and under the skin upgrades of the real and imaginary warbirds.

12 minutes ago, Captain Lackwit said:

I can't believe how much you guys hate everything new but ask for everything to be new.

Are you guys alright?

I don't think it's so much hate for everything new as it is hate for the lack of imagination with the new Imperial (sorry, First Order) ships and the complete and total ugliness of the Resistance ships.  I love new ships that take a new direction without going straight down Ugly Street hitting every door along the way.

50 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

Gonna have to be more specific with "you guys" Personally enjoyed every new ship short of the bomber, even the FOs which are almost just a repaint (but a **** snazzy one)

Now, put the new bomber on its side, and you would be all over it, right? 

2 hours ago, Captain Lackwit said:

I can't believe how much you guys hate everything new but ask for everything to be new.

Are you guys alright?

If by hate everything new, you mean the "new" Xwing and the "new" Tie fighter, you're sorta right in that I don't love them(hate is to strong a word) But the reason is that they are two similar to the original versions to be the progression after 30+ years. If Episode 7 had been set 5-10 years later(impossible due to actors ages) it would have made sense as both "new" ships, which are basically a re skin of the originals, would have been a mk 2 version. Instead it was 30+ years later but the ships seemed mostly the same, which is why many people, myself included call foul. Instead of the mk 2 version we have gotten, we should be on the mk 5 version or, more likely, something else entirely. That is why, even though I agree it looks kinda silly, I actually like the new Resistance bomber. It is a new ship entirely, but looks like it was made by like thinking designers to some of the OT ships. We need more new(I mean actually new, not re skins of original ships) ships. 

I like the TIE Striker and the U-wing. They're different enough from previous designs and don't look completely butt-ugly.  I even like Krennic's Shuttle.  I'm not impossible to please.  Those Resistance bombers, Ice Speeders and the Resistance Transport just look atrocious to me, however.  That thing Han was flying when we first saw him in Episode 7 is a design nightmare as well.  I realize the Resistance is supposed to have a small, scrabbled-together navy and Han was down on his luck but whoever is coming up with and approving these designs has an odd sense of asthetics.

5 hours ago, ficklegreendice said:

Nebulon B-wing*

In all honesty, I LOVE goofy ships but dear god there's a limit to everything and we just went 5-foward past it

5a63014bd97e16ae304281622d0d2e70429aecae

posting the lego set because it's those goofy ***, rear-facing guns that really get me

I secretly hope this thing is massive enough to either be an Armada only or Epic only ship for X-wing.

On 7/23/2017 at 5:39 AM, ficklegreendice said:

meet the new A, same as the old A

seriously, what happened to it over 30 years apart from reverting to the prototype paint scheme?

+1 shields, <tech> upgrade slot and a pair of T-rolls, starts at 19 points but Chardan refit will take it down to 17.

After that Corran Who? What's an E-wing?

Edited by Marinealver