mkevans80

Best Dengar/Nym?

So I saw the other thread asking about the best way to take on Dengar/Nym, and it got me inspired to try playing it myself.

I think it's obvious to build Nym with Bomblet Generator and Genius, but then there's the question of his turret.  I see two possibilities:  Accuracy Corrector and Autoblaster Turret, or TLT + either FCS or AC.  If you go with the Autoblaster, you could outfit him with cruise missiles +EM if you want to pack a punch at long range.

As for Dengar, there are a couple of ways to build him too.  Do you load him up with bombs using Cad Bane?  Proximity Mines in particular combo well with the reroll, and the template is large enough to potentially provide some free evade results thanks to Nym's (global) secondary ability.  Or, do you go munition-less and let him rely on his primary weapon?

Here's a few sample lists I've put together.  The first is exactly 100 points, the second is 99 but you can add a 1-point illicit to Dengar if you want.

-----------------

LIST 1 (100 points)

Dengar

• Punishing One
  • Expertise
  • Cad Bane
  • Proximity Mines
  • Extra Munitions
  • 1-point Astromech (Unhinged, Overclocked, the new unique that lets you drop mines while stressed... looking for suggestions)

Nym

• Havoc
  • Veteran Instincts
  • "Genius"
  • Twin Laser Turret
  • Bomblet Generator
  • Accuracy Corrector
  • Long-Range Scanners(?)

------------------

LIST 2 (99 points.... either 1 point bid or add a cheap illicit to Dengar)

Dengar

• Punishing One
  • Expertise
  • K4 Security Droid
  • R4-B11 (that's the one lets you spend a lock for a stress-free Zuckuss-like effect)

Nym

• Havoc
  • Veteran Instincts
  • "Genius"
  • Autoblaster Turret
  • Bomblet Generator
  • Accuracy Corrector
  • Cruise Missiles
  • Extra Munitions
  • Guidance Chips or LRS

------------------

Thoughts?

Edited by mkevans80

I've had some success running an ion cannon turret on Nym. Helps to insure the target is in the bomb radius the next turn. I've also been putting EMP device on Dengar, but I haven't had the opportunity to use it yet. 

Version I built the other day (wave 11 hasn't shown up here yet sadly)

Fenngar - Copy (100)

Dengar (57) - JumpMaster 5000
Expertise (4), K4 Security Droid (3), Unhinged Astromech (1), Punishing One (12), Engine Upgrade (4)

Captain Nym (43) - Scurrg H-6 Bomber
Veteran Instincts (1), Twin Laser Turret (6), Bomblet Generator (3), Havoc (0), Long-Range Scanners (0), Accuracy Corrector (3), "Genius" (0)

Scurrg H-6 Bomber: · Captain Nym (30)
     Stay on Target (2)
     Autoblaster Turret (2)
     · Bomblet Generator (3)
     · Havoc (0)
     Accuracy Corrector (3)
     · "Genius" (0)

JumpMaster 5000: · Dengar (33)
     Expertise (4)
     Proton Torpedoes (4)
     Extra Munitions (2)
     Guidance Chips (0)
     K4 Security Droid (3)
     · Punishing One (12)
     Inertial Dampeners (1)
     Unhinged Astromech (1)
-- TOTAL ------- 100p. --

I did this list todays casual night and played two times and had no problem winning both. First game didn't loose either ship and second just Nym in last round. There is also some points to be easily wiggled around like Stay On Target(2), Inertial Dampeners (1) and Proton Torpedoes could be changed on Plasmas to save extra (1) point. So it would give you 3-4 points. 

I noticed that Stay On Target was highly situational just like Inertial Dampeners. So I was thinking Veteran Instincts would be better on Nym or something more useful. Genius was good so you can always get those bombs out at best times. Not sure if replacing K4 Security Droid with Cad Bane is good idea, but it would give you some extra points and better damage output for bombs but would weaken Dengar quite a bit.

All in all, I was waiting for Scurgg H-6 a lot and it exceeded my expectations. It has good place in Scum squads. Yet to try out the other pilots, but they seem excellent also.

:ph34r:

Edited by Zazaa

Grymm Missile Boat (100)

PS 9 Dengar (53) - JumpMaster 5000 Expertise (4), K4 Security Droid (3), Unhinged Astromech (1), Punishing One (12)

PS 9 Captain Nym (47) - Scurrg H-6 Bomber Adaptability (0), Twin Laser Turret (6), Extra Munitions (2), Concussion Missiles (4), Bomblet Generator (3), Havoc (0), Guidance Chips (0), Fire Control System (2), "Genius" (0)

Thats my take on Dengar & Nym. I will lt you know how I fare after tomorrows tournament. 

++ Standard (Scum) [100 Points] ++

+ Scurrg H-6 Bomber +

PS 8 - •Captain Nym [42 Points]: Accuracy Corrector, Autoblaster Turret, Cruise Missiles, Guidance Chips, Veteran Instincts, •"Genius", •Bomblet Generator, •Havoc

+ JumpMaster 5000 +

PS 9 - •Dengar [58 Points]: Expertise, Extra Munitions, Guidance Chips, K4 Security Droid, Plasma Torpedoes, Unhinged Astromech, •Punishing One

++ Total: [100 Points] ++

This is what I took to my local store championship. Only got 2 games practice in with each ship prior. Managed to get 7th place out of 39 people. 

Super easy to fly and deadly to aces. ;)

I notice ALL the Dengar builds in this thread have Expertise as Elite. Do you fly them too tightly for Lone Wolf? Or do you just consider it better, especially paired with K4?

I was going with LW + Overclocked R4 for fully modified attacks AND Defence (and a stress). But granted I can't use focus with both attacks + defence without 2 stress.

Edited by westiebestie

Expertise is stress-free and works for both shots.  K4 is "free" as long as you're doing a green.  Unihinged gives you the greens you need for K4, and more greens is just nice.

That way you can focus for both attacks, get a target lock for one of them, and can still perform a different action (defensive focus, reposition), all with zero stress and an open dial.  I don't think there's anything wrong with LW+Overclocked, though, especially if you're short on points.  The reroll on defense is especially nice.

37 minutes ago, mkevans80 said:

Expertise is stress-free and works for both shots.  K4 is "free" as long as you're doing a green.  Unihinged gives you the greens you need for K4, and more greens is just nice.

That way you can focus for both attacks, get a target lock for one of them, and can still perform a different action (defensive focus, reposition), all with zero stress and an open dial.  I don't think there's anything wrong with LW+Overclocked, though, especially if you're short on points.  The reroll on defense is especially nice.

Agreed, the Expertise build is better offensively and stress free. I'm going with a more allround/defensive Dengar build:

Dengar, Punishing One, Lone Wolf, overclocked R4, 4-LOM, Glitterstim, Counter-measures, Plasma Torps 57

Defensively, the advantages of LW, oR4, Glitterstim and Counter-measures means he can have substantially longer staying power vs ordnance alpha strike, blocking/overlapping or crack swarms. Also, he can turn right with the same action economy as left (no K4) and is not as sensitive to stress (stressbots etc, debris fields) as Expertise builds.

Offensively I don't see him as far off the Expertise+K4 build given that 4-LOM blocks some defensive tokens in this build.

PS. The Plasma Torps are only there because I had points over in the list. Might become cruise missiles on Nym instead. DS

Edited by westiebestie

3 hours ago, westiebestie said:

Agreed, the Expertise build is better offensively and stress free. I'm going with a more allround/defensive Dengar build:

Dengar, Punishing One, Lone Wolf, overclocked R4, 4-LOM, Glitterstim, Counter-measures, Plasma Torps 57

Defensively, the advantages of LW, oR4, Glitterstim and Counter-measures means he can have substantially longer staying power vs ordnance alpha strike, blocking/overlapping or crack swarms. Also, he can turn right with the same action economy as left (no K4) and is not as sensitive to stress (stressbots etc, debris fields) as Expertise builds.

Offensively I don't see him as far off the Expertise+K4 build given that 4-LOM blocks some defensive tokens in this build.

PS. The Plasma Torps are only there because I had points over in the list. Might become cruise missiles on Nym instead. DS

If you actually USE overclocked R4 you have worse maneuvering than the k4 version.  Now you HAVE to do greens to clear the stress oryou get no actions at all.  The K4 version just loses the TL if it doesn't do a green, but still gets everything else.

Not really sold yet for Cad Bane on Dengar. K4 is just so much better choice with one extra point. 

Nym is pretty straightforward to build, I'm using 38p on him usually. And leaves me 62p on Dengar. Still lost my last game with them, took some Cruise Missiles on Dengar and it was chewed up fast. I had bit different Dengar than usually.