kempokid

Oldest Ship in the Game

Of all the ships that have been introduced in this game, which one is the most antiquated? I see that the new Scurg was developed before the Battle of Naboo, so I'm assuming it's the winner. But I'm not as familiar with all the models to know if any of them pre-date the Scurg.

Z-95 Headhunter.  It was an antique when the Clone Wars broke out.  Seeing them on the table is roughly analogous to someone trying to dogfight against a Typhoon in a Sopwith Camel.  They were so outdated that most pirate sand privateers preferred to scratch build Uglies rather than rely on the Headhunter.

34 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

technically, the x-wing and tie fighter :P

but in lore, pretty sure it's the ARC-170 that had to be overhauled just to see play

the oldest Han in the game is actually the youngest Han

wait until we get young Han from the Han movie too, then the youngest Han will be the youngest while the oldest han is in the middle and the medium Han is still the oldest

Edited by Effenhoog

Either the YT-1300 or C-ROC, as both appeared in Episode I (the C-ROC looking a little rough for wear, and on the outer rim planet of Tatooine...while the YT-1300 was looking shinier and appearing in the core worlds...makes me thing the C-ROC is older).

3 hours ago, Major Tom said:

Z-95 Headhunter.  It was an antique when the Clone Wars broke out.  Seeing them on the table is roughly analogous to someone trying to dogfight against a Typhoon in a Sopwith Camel.  They were so outdated that most pirate sand privateers preferred to scratch build Uglies rather than rely on the Headhunter.

I sure wouldn't go that far with an analogy at least not looking at the comparative stats I've seen for the Z-95.  If all were modern fighters the Z-95 is definitely a generation, or maybe even two, behind behind the current top models but it's certainly no Sopwith Camel.  In X-Wing terms that Camel is probable an immobile target that fires a 1 die weapon; next to no threat and could go down fast.

Are you talking the hugely inflated stats we have for the Z-95 in X-Wing?  Being generous if the Headhunter was satted appropriately in game it would get 1 attack, 1 defence, 1 hull and 1 shield.  The dial would be substantially different too.  Something along the lines of 1 straight and banks white and a 2 straight red.  It would also loose the target lock action.  Remember these things are supposed to be significantly inferior to scratch built Uglies.

19 minutes ago, weisguy119 said:

Some points of reference:

Phantom Menace - 32 BBY

Millennium Falcon -  at least 51 BBY (Canon) or 60 BBY (Legends)

So, the Falcon predates The Phantom Menace by 19-28 years.  Also, I think it's safe to say the Falcon is not the first production model of the YT-1300.

The garbage will do

2 hours ago, Major Tom said:

Are you talking the hugely inflated stats we have for the Z-95 in X-Wing?  Being generous if the Headhunter was satted appropriately in game it would get 1 attack, 1 defence, 1 hull and 1 shield.  The dial would be substantially different too.  Something along the lines of 1 straight and banks white and a 2 straight red.  It would also loose the target lock action.  Remember these things are supposed to be significantly inferior to scratch built Uglies.

"As long as they keep on making upgrades for this baby, the Z-95 will never become outdated."
Outlaw tech Klaus "Doc" Vandangante

It's still a popular ship during the Rebellion era and was often modified to be pretty decent even if it couldn't hang with X-wing and TIE fighters. It's in-game chassis reflects that, by being slightly worse than those 2. Plus, some claim that it had a "tighter turn" than the X-wing, so would have been cool with a 1-turn. If it's too strong in 1 aspect, it's probably the 2 shields instead of 1, but they didn't want a ship worth less than 12.

Were is it stated that Uglie are better than Z95, the now outdated precursor of the T65? Uglies seem to me be the ones which are hugely inflated, the concept makes no sense at all, trying to cobble together stuff and trying to go against miltary starfighters. They make sense only as the absolutely last resort in a remote region, if you have no resources or trade possibilies at all. Otherwise it would be better to sell parts as parts or scrap and for the money buy real fighters instead (decomissioned patrol craft or go Black Sun). Uglies should roll for a self-damage every time they try to do a hard turn and for weapon failure if they try to fire more than 2 subsequent turns. They are mostly imagination poor as well, some of them do not even work (no engine).

I am not into the EU, but Poe Dameron seems to use Z95 in the TFA era(!) (Operatron Sabre Strike), so they cannot be that bad...

youre wildly wrong about that. space travel isnt new in star wars, so tech advancement isnt moving forward quickly. hence a hundred year old freighter like the Falcon can swat down brand new ties, and clone war era mon calamari destroyer can duke it out with an imperial star destroyer. the only thing that really advanced anything was Palpatine redirecting funding to reasearch for super weapons, hence breakthrough like the death stars and super star destroyers. the main difference between old and new is that the new run better with less repairs. by your logic the stripped down y-wings should be useless, yet theyre the core of the rebel attack in the first film

20 minutes ago, Kieransi said:

Depending on how Disney handles this tie-in (not to be confused with TIE/In) to the old Legends universe, all these ships are nowhere near as old as the next epic ship:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Hammerhead-class_cruiser

That being said, I think the Senator's Shuttle is still canonically the oldest.

You're confusing the Hammerhead Cruiser with the Hammerhead Corvette which was inspired by the cruiser's design but was a much newer (and smaller) design.  Also, the Senator's Shuttle is just a mission token.  It's not an official, playable ship.  You can get 3D models and home brew it up but you can't play it in any official game setting.

3 minutes ago, weisguy119 said:

You're confusing the Hammerhead Cruiser with the Hammerhead Corvette which was inspired by the cruiser's design but was a much newer (and smaller) design.  Also, the Senator's Shuttle is just a mission token.  It's not an official, playable ship.  You can get 3D models and home brew it up but you can't play it in any official game setting.

I didn't confuse them, that's why I spent the time to find the link to the hammerhead cruiser (not the hammerhead corvette). We still don't know if they're meant to be the same thing - Disney hasn't officially ruled whether or not they're the same ship. Given the similarity, I'm guessing the corvette is a modified cruiser. 

And yeah, neither is a real ship in this game, I was just having fun, because the first few posts have already brought up the obvious choices of YT-1300, HWK-290, and Z-95.

1 minute ago, Kieransi said:

I didn't confuse them, that's why I spent the time to find the link to the hammerhead cruiser (not the hammerhead corvette). We still don't know if they're meant to be the same thing - Disney hasn't officially ruled whether or not they're the same ship. Given the similarity, I'm guessing the corvette is a modified cruiser. 

And yeah, neither is a real ship in this game, I was just having fun, because the first few posts have already brought up the obvious choices of YT-1300, HWK-290, and Z-95.

If you follow your link you'll see the Hammerhead Cruiser is 315m long. For reference, a Nebulon-B Frigate is 300m long.  If you watch Rogue One, you can see the Hammerhead Corvette is nowhere near the size of a Nebulon-B.  They're different ships.

5 hours ago, StevenO said:

I sure wouldn't go that far with an analogy at least not looking at the comparative stats I've seen for the Z-95.  If all were modern fighters the Z-95 is definitely a generation, or maybe even two, behind behind the current top models but it's certainly no Sopwith Camel.  In X-Wing terms that Camel is probable an immobile target that fires a 1 die weapon; next to no threat and could go down fast.

The Z-95 is pretty much the F-5 Tiger II in space. Common, venerable, cheap and small. Hell, they even look kinda similar

I think the YT-1300 has the oldest production history, the model is very reliable and old and part of why everybody thinks the falcon is supposed to be such a clunker. Next oldest slot would be a tussle between the Gozanti (Not the C-ROC, those didn't appear until Rebels. The version seen in TPM is just a regular Gozanti with scum colors) and the H-6, whose prototype(s) were stolen by Nym some time before TPM. The oldest actual date even in Legends on the Z-95 is 31 BBY, a year after TPM, though it sounds like it was supposed to be in prototyping and development prior to that.