Sign in to follow this  
ficklegreendice

VSDs and new upgrades

10 minutes ago, Madaghmire said:

Ima run this, i think. I like it. 

Agree with second list looking better. 

Obvious questions regarding if you had issues with lack of antisquad, sloane strippers or being heavily outactivated?

I'd also hate to run into an ackbar strategic list that bids 399 and goes second.

But all in all I love them big brick lists.

I had no complaints about my squads. The two toughest squad lists I faced were Steele and 5 defenders and a list with Jan, Tycho, 1 a-wing, and 5 x-wings. Lost all of my interceptors twice but not till round 6. Didn't face Sloane faced 3 Ackbars, 1 Madine, 1 Screed, and 1 Jerrjerrod I think. I could be wrong about the last one it was @Dameon13's list so he could clarify. Didn't run into someone bidding for 2nd.

was wondering about tossing in raiders to supplement VSD-2 with close range firepower and anti-squadron (ordnance experts, external racks)

not sure how they're performing currently, though, and it's possibly too heavy on anti-squadron

http://armadawarlords.hivelabs.solutions/view_list.php?token=123003&key=2f1361d128a68bc06b4cd28b0f668d6e

do like interdictors supplementing VSD relative lack of durability, though. Could also potential add a quasar and a gonzati to supplement squadron game, perhaps with defenders and the title that moves them prior to activation so you can hang back and late squadrons come to you before jumping them with superior speed

Edited by ficklegreendice

4 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

was wondering about tossing in raiders to supplement VSD-2 with close range firepower and anti-squadron (ordnance experts, external racks)

not sure how they're performing currently, though, and it's possibly too heavy on anti-squadron

http://armadawarlords.hivelabs.solutions/view_list.php?token=123003&key=2f1361d128a68bc06b4cd28b0f668d6e

Actually I like you ship complement here. I think I might change up the squad ball some. Mithel sans intel/chirpy might be better of being valen.

Would also swap hyperspace assault for contested outpost and dangerous territory for solar corona, but thats me.

Edited by Madaghmire

4 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

do like interdictors supplementing VSD relative lack of durability, though. Could also potential add a quasar and a gonzati to supplement squadron game, perhaps with defenders and the title that moves them prior to activation so you can hang back and late squadrons come to you before jumping them with superior speed

I like that list. I'd probably swap sw-7s for leading shots. QBT + LS = rerollable long range reds.

this one was harder to fit in but is perhaps more balanced?

fitting in all the cool stuff is hard :(

EDIT edit:
http://armadawarlords.hivelabs.solutions/view_list.php?token=123008&key=d8763702d64a1fdb1a4761e21be835dd

not sold on Strom

I guess squall might be excessive and could instead be skilled first officers and Strom --> Defender

Edited by ficklegreendice

10 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

this one was harder to fit in but is perhaps more balanced?

fitting in all the cool stuff is hard :(

EDIT edit:
http://armadawarlords.hivelabs.solutions/view_list.php?token=123008&key=d8763702d64a1fdb1a4761e21be835dd

not sold on Strom

Yeah I'm not sold on Strom either. He's really only protecting Steele and double brace plus grit is all he usually needs. He pairs so well with Jendon but not sure where you'd get the extra 5 points. I'd probably swap him for Mauler or Rudor or even a Jumpmaster.

Yes VSD are back in the mix. I love using Moff JJ (comes in the light cruiser pack) disposable capacitors, minister tua and reinforced blast doors (also in the light cruiser pack). Minister tua adds a shield upgrade slot and then you can add RBDs to remove 3 face down damage, effectively making your hull 11! It's a great build, IMO, I love it. I don't play competitive ly so maybe it falls apart at that level, idk.

Edited by Rune Taq

7 hours ago, IronNerd said:

I placed second in a Store Champ this weekend with 2 Vic-Is. I ran them cheap, just OE and Racks. The downside is that I didn't feel like that one huge barrage (3 red + 5 black) did QUITE as much as I would have liked. Think it needs something more to really sing, like XI7 perhaps? Regardless, I'm thinking VSD-IIs are really where it's at. I was strongly considering a Dictor/VSD list like the above...

Drop OE, add Vet Gunners and add Quad Battery Turrets. Your one big barrage is always fun, but there will be a lot more barrages that aren't quite so big, but desperately need rerolls. 3 Reds and a blue, with an additional concentrate fire dice out of the front, with a reroll, is not to be sniffed at.

I feel with the VSD, you are rarely going to one shot anything of equal size with that big barrage, which is why it is vital to make sure that your longer range gunnery is able to do some damage on the way in. Yes, it prevents you refining your black dice when you finally get to roll them, but I would rather sort out those fluffed longer range roles to give more consistent damage over the course of an entire game.

55 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

The problem with Vet Gunners is it doesn't improve average rolls.

It'll fix a box of crap, for sure...   But when you've rolled okay, it won't help you get better.

Don't be silly Dras. I have never rolled averagely with a VSD  in all my games. It either hits with every shot like some sort of sci-fi william tell, or misses everything like the storm trooper corp. I have at least once, at close range, rolled zero damage before now.

Joking aside, that is the issue. My thinking when using it tends to be: If I have rolled below average - use it. If I have rolled average - use it if it is more important to try and finish something off and that is the only way (i.e. take a chance!), otherwise - do not use it.

Dice manipulation is one of my favourite things about armada, but I also like it's limitations. For a cheap VSD1, personally, I prefer to be able to ensure a greater consistency at long range and minimise my wasted shots, than try and create the one perfect barrage per match which ordnance experts comes closer to on this build.