Sign in to follow this  
Stone37

FFG Homepage provides a good laugh...

It's funny for two reasons actually, the first (and probably the intended reason) is that we actually can't preorder this stuff anywhere (although perhaps game stores can?). The reason I find it funny is that they just inadvertently either spoiled a new version of Thermal Detonator or that Bazine Netal will be a character!

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bazine_Netal

I pre-ordered 4 box 3 weeks ago, the moment i saw the preview cards. But I helped the store owner to create the product sku in his system...

Basically, several store will take pre-order, even without official allocation or sku from manufacturer.

Chak

20 hours ago, Chakan99939 said:

Basically, several store will take pre-order, even without official allocation or sku from manufacturer.

Chak

This was the case of so many LGS.  The two store near me do not take pre-orders anymore because they do not know how many and when they will actually get stock.  They feel it is dishonest to take people's money without actually knowing these things. 

Totally agree this is ridiculous as you can't even pre-order them on the FF site.  I have the same problem as those above.  My LGS's will not pre-sell due to the disasters of the past (ordering 25 boxes and getting 3) and carrying the wrath of customers.  It is dishonest and a poor business practice.  One LGS in my area has even stated they will not even bother with Destiny due to the frustrations.

Can some advise any reputable online stores currently taking pre-orders for sealed booster boxes?  My top few are not currently accepting them.

My LGSs not only don't ever have stock, they're rude about it. So I'm just going to wait until Team Covenant takes preorders. I'm pretty sure stock isn't going to be as much of a problem now that FFG knows how popular this game is... right? :P

45 minutes ago, Kieransi said:

My LGSs not only don't ever have stock, they're rude about it. So I'm just going to wait until Team Covenant takes preorders. I'm pretty sure stock isn't going to be as much of a problem now that FFG knows how popular this game is... right? :P

This is the very reason many have no wish to ever set foot into a LGS again.  The forced ethics that Asmodee is attempting by reducing stock they sell to online dealers will backfire on them.  Heck, I can't even use cash to buy FFG products at my LGS anymore.  They told me that they had to prove to Asmodee that they were not mixing their local and online inventories!  I love this game... but I don't NEED it.  Hoping all this silliness goes away by Christmas time.  I love my Star Wars (everything) games, but I'm tired of the ever increasing hoops Asmodee makes me jump through to obtain them.

20 minutes ago, Stone37 said:

This is the very reason many have no wish to ever set foot into a LGS again.  The forced ethics that Asmodee is attempting by reducing stock they sell to online dealers will backfire on them.  Heck, I can't even use cash to buy FFG products at my LGS anymore.  They told me that they had to prove to Asmodee that they were not mixing their local and online inventories!  I love this game... but I don't NEED it.  Hoping all this silliness goes away by Christmas time.  I love my Star Wars (everything) games, but I'm tired of the ever increasing hoops Asmodee makes me jump through to obtain them.

Agreed! X-Wing and Destiny are fun, but this kind of thing is why I'm glad I also play the RPG, Rebellion, Armada, and Imperial Assault. The big two FFG Star Wars games are really fun because of the huge community, but the other five (also including the card game) tend to be easier to get stock of, and have less of the annoying, hyper-competitive players.

I'm sick of going to Destiny and X-Wing tournaments and having people condescendingly explain why their netlist beat whatever I was playing (ignoring the luck involved) and trying to correct me on rules that they don't even understand. Last Destiny tournament, I got told that blanks weren't symbols and thus not a target for Force Illusion (I had to pull up the RRG on my phone) by the same player who told me I should be kicked out for talking (the new tourney regulations explicitly clarify that store championships are in the "relaxed" format).

So yeah, while I like having a large community, there's a reason I don't play MTG - I don't want to have the kind of hyper-competitive game where people are getting into fisticuffs over cards worth thousands of dollars. This game has reached a new level of competitive mentality now that people are even fighting over unopened, generic booster packs. Hopefully FFG produces more stock in the future, because I don't like the mentality of checking my inbox every couple hours to see if I can get my TC preorders in before everyone else. I expect tabletop games to have a collaborative and even cooperative spirit, and I find this game's lack of friendliness disturbing...

Edited by Kieransi

40 minutes ago, Kieransi said:

I find this game's lack of friendliness disturbing...

I have 100% the opposite experience in my area. All the people that come out to the game stores near me a great. The environment is relaxed and everyone is laughing and having a good time. There is still a pretty high level of play, but that doesn't impede the friendliness. New players are joining in ever few weeks, and people are always helping them out with deck building, or giving them commons / uncommon to help them fill out their decks.

On 7/24/2017 at 6:48 PM, CBowser said:

I have 100% the opposite experience in my area. All the people that come out to the game stores near me a great. The environment is relaxed and everyone is laughing and having a good time. There is still a pretty high level of play, but that doesn't impede the friendliness. New players are joining in ever few weeks, and people are always helping them out with deck building, or giving them commons / uncommon to help them fill out their decks.

In mine too. Until i started playing PoeMaz :D They no like me anymore :D

On 24/07/2017 at 5:48 PM, CBowser said:

My Flgs is also like this. The more established players help out the new players to increase the community. During casual play I advise players on deck builds, card synergy and optimal plays. This may come back to bite me during tournaments, but I would rather expand the amount of players than risk having no-one to play against. Also my Flgs always seems to get a good allocation of stock, this may be different this time due to the changes Asmodee has made.

Pre-ordered through my LGS. Mine doesn't make you pay beforehand on anything you pre-order through them. They don't feel it's right to take your money before product is in hand.

As for the friendliness, in my area it's always super friendly and laid back. I'll play against any deck whether it's casual or not. I'm just there to have a good time. I admittedly run eKylo/eVader most of the time because for a while it was the only deck I really had until recently. One of the two shops I go to have had no problems with stock. Was talking to the store manager while we were playing against each other over the weekend and he said they still had plenty of boxes of SoR in the back room, as well as a couple of Awakenings.

Edited by TheTechWookiee

On 7/24/2017 at 0:04 PM, Kieransi said:

Agreed! X-Wing and Destiny are fun, but this kind of thing is why I'm glad I also play the RPG, Rebellion, Armada, and Imperial Assault. The big two FFG Star Wars games are really fun because of the huge community, but the other five (also including the card game) tend to be easier to get stock of, and have less of the annoying, hyper-competitive players.

I'm sick of going to Destiny and X-Wing tournaments and having people condescendingly explain why their netlist beat whatever I was playing (ignoring the luck involved) and trying to correct me on rules that they don't even understand. Last Destiny tournament, I got told that blanks weren't symbols and thus not a target for Force Illusion (I had to pull up the RRG on my phone) by the same player who told me I should be kicked out for talking (the new tourney regulations explicitly clarify that store championships are in the "relaxed" format).

So yeah, while I like having a large community, there's a reason I don't play MTG - I don't want to have the kind of hyper-competitive game where people are getting into fisticuffs over cards worth thousands of dollars. This game has reached a new level of competitive mentality now that people are even fighting over unopened, generic booster packs. Hopefully FFG produces more stock in the future, because I don't like the mentality of checking my inbox every couple hours to see if I can get my TC preorders in before everyone else. I expect tabletop games to have a collaborative and even cooperative spirit, and I find this game's lack of friendliness disturbing...

You should move. 

5 minutes ago, porkins_dietician said:

You should move. 

Some times it's not the location, but the player. If everyone around is a jerk, you might be the real jerk. Some times the squeaky wheel is the one that always requires the oil while the others keep chugging along. But it's hard to say with out first hand experience with the player base. I know our local group keeps expanding, we try to foster this with helping newbies get cards (passing rares on from booster winnings) to giving full sets of commons/uncommons.

With x wing a lot of people come to me and ask me how they can get better (big fish, small pond). I will only give advice if asked. But what drives me crazy is when people blame rolls when half the time it's not the dices fault.

This reminds me I need to pre order....

Let's be honest here for a moment.  Sometimes, yes, the player is the problem and everyone else responds to the player's attitude.  But let's not give the average LGS a pass either. Most, yes MOST, game store I walk into around my town (and places I visit out of state) look run down, smell bad, and have an overall unfriendly appeal to them.  They look more like a high school kid's messy bedroom than a department store.  (If your LGS is not this way, fantastic... but the stereotype exists for a reason.)  I personally do not want to play or shop under such conditions.  Any game (or game company) that forces me to support such stores will lose my business.  

I know a few readers of the forum stopped really reading this post a few lines in and the personal attacks are coming.  I personally don't care where or how people want to play their games.  It is a wonderful vehicle that brings humanity together and builds relationships.  Some might rather have "game nights" with friends at home.  I personally would love to see FFG support bars that have game nights. (This isn't going to happen because a bar will not dedicate a 3rd or more of its space to "gaming".)  Others enjoy the very atmosphere that turns me off to game stores.  And that's fine.  My complaint is aimed at any company that tells me I "should" or have to buy and play a game at the approved LGS.   

On 7/24/2017 at 10:48 AM, CBowser said:

I have 100% the opposite experience in my area. 

1 hour ago, porkins_dietician said:

You should move. 

1 hour ago, Hujoe Bigs said:

you might be the real jerk.

Seems my post may have been just a tiny bit misunderstood!:D

I play casual whenever I can, and that's great, but none of my LGSs have a scheduled game night. I have four friends who play the game, two of whom are complete newbies who I have frequently given cards/advice to. So when any of the five of us go to a game store, it's very similar to the pleasant gaming situation CBowser described. We like to play free-for-all battles, thematic battles, two headed giant battles, etc.

The problem I was describing has to do with the fact that the LGSs themselves do not have support for this kind of friendly play. The only one that has a Destiny game night just has a weekly tournament, and last time I went, my friend and I were the only two players who didn't field Rey. So it's not that I'm some competitive jerk who creates an unfriendly environment, it's actually the opposite - I'm not a huge fan of competitive play and that seems to be the only way to play Destiny that's possible in my area.

4 minutes ago, Kieransi said:

Seems my post may have been just a tiny bit misunderstood!:D

I'm not a huge fan of competitive play and that seems to be the only way to play Destiny that's possible in my area.

I think the dynamic of a game changes when prizes are on the line.  A weekly friendly game night is what you (and many other players) would love to see.  The support kits FFG makes are not strictly for competitive play.  The Store/Regional Championship kit is the only kit FFG makes that should be used in a competitive structure.

I too would love to see stores take the seasonal kits and just give a promo card (or whatever) out to everyone that attends.  No structured play.  Just space, product, and people to play with.

11 minutes ago, Kieransi said:
So it's not that I'm some competitive jerk who creates an unfriendly environment, it's actually the opposite - I'm not a huge fan of competitive play and that seems to be the only way to play Destiny that's possible in my area.

Could it be the inverse then? That your dislike of competitive play is coming out in a way that others, attending a tournament, find creates an unfriendly environment.  That's about as common as the hyper competitive jerk ruining everyone's fun in my experience.

Just now, ScottieATF said:

Could it be the inverse then? That your dislike of competitive play is coming out in a way that others, attending a tournament, find creates an unfriendly environment.  That's about as common as the hyper competitive jerk ruining everyone's fun in my experience.

Well, I doubt it. I'm always good sport about losing, and most people don't mind winning!