Smutpedler

I dun a stoopid

On Saturday; I made one of the biggest mess ups of my entire time playing X-Wing. At a 17 player SC I went 3-0 in the first rounds and on to the top table for the final round of swiss. I took the lead early against a triple T-70 list killing Nein and dropping Jess to 2 hull, he also had a full health Poe (no regen). I had Fenn Rau on 3 hull still and Dengar with 2 shields left, Inaldra was still full HP and doing her thing. I then proceeded to fly Fenn off the board and Dengar off the board next turn. I made a poor call of judgement due to being tired and dropped myself from 2nd in swiss to 7th. BOOM!

Let's hear your stories of embarrassment and snatching defeat from the jaws of victory ;)

Twice in my X-Wing career I have flow RAC off the board with more than half health, in games that he would have won if he'd stayed on, both times due to boosting too close to the board edge in an effort to get back into the fight more quickly, whilst being slightly off angle due to bumps and/or accumulated nudges.  Vassal has made me complacent about this kind of thing.

First round on Sunday I ended my tournament on the first turn.  Two unnecessary barrel rolls from my ships screwed up positioning for the entire game, I tilted horrifically when I realised I couldn't fix it and wound up making multiple mistakes every single turn.  

Five turns into the game I conceded then dropped out of the tournament and went home... it wasn't going to get any better.

20 minutes ago, Smutpedler said:

On Saturday; I made one of the biggest mess ups of my entire time playing X-Wing. At a 17 player SC I went 3-0 in the first rounds and on to the top table for the final round of swiss. I took the lead early against a triple T-70 list killing Nein and dropping Jess to 2 hull, he also had a full health Poe (no regen). I had Fenn Rau on 3 hull still and Dengar with 2 shields left, Inaldra was still full HP and doing her thing. I then proceeded to fly Fenn off the board and Dengar off the board next turn. I made a poor call of judgement due to being tired and dropped myself from 2nd in swiss to 7th. BOOM!

Let's hear your stories of embarrassment and snatching defeat from the jaws of victory ;)

Tired? After only 3 games?

31 minutes ago, xstormtrooperx said:

Tired? After only 3 games?

My living situation has been... less than desirable since the beginning of this year. i can count the number of good nights sleep I've had in 6 months on one hand. So I was tired after getting to the store tbh :P 

Flying Brobots - 1 skirting the edge of the play area and drawing fire (wasn't expecting that) whilst the other charges down the middle to intercept. One IG needed to go straight ahead and the other needed to bank (You can probably see where this is going). So yeah, wrong dial on the wrong ship. 1 IG off the board and the other straight ahead onto an asteroid. oopps. 

Firs time using mindlink, had it on Ventress and a Tansarii Point Vet (third ship is forgotten, but did not have mindlink)... had the match well in hand but in my infinite wisdom decided the best way to turn around was to k-turn in formation... Yeah, everybody else sees what I did here, right?

Did the k-turn on the Scyk, passed stress out. Stopped. Paused. Slid the dial for the Lancer across the table without ever flipping it over. Not a surprise when my opponent took a full health Lancer off the board with his choice of maneuver. (pre-FAQ)

As you may or may not be aware, it is not easy, when looking at TIE fighters' solar panels  from side on, to determine at a glance which way the ship is facing.

I deployed an 8-ship TIE swarm. I was tired. I was not paying attention.

I now tend to deploy facing along my board edge, because......reasons. Let's just stick with 'reasons'.

Edited by Magnus Grendel

2 minutes ago, Magnus Grendel said:

As you may or may not be aware, it is not easy, when looking at TIE fighters' solar panels  from side on, to determine at a glance which way the ship is facing.

I now tend to deploy facing along my board edge, because......reasons. Let's just stick with 'reasons'.

Ouch

I've done a ton of stupid stuff and my tournaments are usually categorized by one giant mistake keeping me from something awesome.  Went to a store champs last weekend.  16 people, no cut, 4 rounds.  I had the tools (Palp Aces list with adapt vader and PTL Jax) and round 1 my opponent was a triple K wing list.  I killed one, got the sabine one to 1 hull remaining, and on the last play of the game I changed my dial at the last minute to something I still have no idea why I did it.  Had I left the dial, Jax would have eaten a slew of cluster mines and vader would have scooted through completely free to kill the sabine K.  Nope.  Changed Carnor's dial to a 1 hard turn away, completely missed the mines.  Vader blew up before he could shoot.  And I had the tools to beat the winner (triple deadeye skuurg, Carnor eats that up!).  Dammit.

3 minutes ago, jonnyd said:

I've done a ton of stupid stuff and my tournaments are usually categorized by one giant mistake keeping me from something awesome.  Went to a store champs last weekend.  16 people, no cut, 4 rounds.  I had the tools (Palp Aces list with adapt vader and PTL Jax) and round 1 my opponent was a triple K wing list.  I killed one, got the sabine one to 1 hull remaining, and on the last play of the game I changed my dial at the last minute to something I still have no idea why I did it.  Had I left the dial, Jax would have eaten a slew of cluster mines and vader would have scooted through completely free to kill the sabine K.  Nope.  Changed Carnor's dial to a 1 hard turn away, completely missed the mines.  Vader blew up before he could shoot.  And I had the tools to beat the winner (triple deadeye skuurg, Carnor eats that up!).  Dammit.

This is pretty much the litany of my tournament performance too.  If I could just get through a day of tourney play without making at least one dumb mistake, I'd probably be bringing home much better hauls!

In my first real game of X-Wing, I was playing Brobots, and the game started as a spectacular ballet, a saber duel while ice-dancing with exquisite precision and hair thin acts of death-defying daredevilry. Truly breathtaking, until the tone shifted from highbrow art to crass slapstick, my Iggys starting a full coconut creme pie assault on one another. What followed was somewhere between 3 and 5 unintentional bumps into each other, occasionally atop asteroids, before my opponent did me the favor of blasting one of my robots into dust, allowing the other to fart itself unceremoniously off the board.

Snowballing mistakes from not just taking a minute to refocus my chi. Gotta say, though, even now when I think about it I can't help but smile.

I managed to get two YV666's blocked by 75% of the pts on my list such that I could not fire at either but both could shoot at me and none of my dial options could get me out.  That was a sad day.  I just sat there round after round taking hits.

56 minutes ago, Magnus Grendel said:

Really? If I were your opponent, I'd give you that back every time. I don't care if its final table at worlds, it's a **** way to win a game. 

1 hour ago, LagJanson said:

Firs time using mindlink, had it on Ventress and a Tansarii Point Vet (third ship is forgotten, but did not have mindlink)... had the match well in hand but in my infinite wisdom decided the best way to turn around was to k-turn in formation... Yeah, everybody else sees what I did here, right?

Did the k-turn on the Scyk, passed stress out. Stopped. Paused. Slid the dial for the Lancer across the table without ever flipping it over. Not a surprise when my opponent took a full health Lancer off the board with his choice of maneuver. (pre-FAQ)

Didn't that FAQ come with the Lancer release? Since it was supposed to handle the rigged cargo chute included there.

12 minutes ago, Sekac said:

Really? If I were your opponent, I'd give you that back every time. I don't care if its final table at worlds, it's a **** way to win a game. 

And I wouldn't accept it. My screw-up, my problem; I'd continue to play with that portion of the squad I did manage to set up facing the right way.