Sign in to follow this  
The Mighty Boushh

Fenn Rau without Autothrusters?

Hi everyone,

I have finally gotten round to buying the Protectorate Starfighter (I'm a casual player, so I don't rush out to buy the ships) and have been looking at the forums to see what build would be good for Fenn Rau.

My problem is that every time I see his name, it is followed by 'Autothrusters', and this is an upgrade that I don't own! Is Fenn Rau usable without Autothrusters, and does anybody have any other build suggestions for him?

Thanks.

Well, it for sure is his best upgrade since it gives him R3 protection, leaving only R2 as vulnerability. Stealth Device would be second best in most cases.

Guidance Chips is good if you run ordnance on this guy, but dunno what the best missiles for him would be.

EDIT: It's Torpedoes!?

Edited by Chibi-Nya

Autothrusters is a really powerful upgrade for the Protectorate, no doubt, and can help up it's survivability.

That said, the Protectorate isn't a TIE Interceptor, and doesn't rely on it's arc dodging abilities as much.  I've used Fenn without Autothrusters plenty of times.  As a guided rocket, he wants to get up close and personal ASAP, and if that's the case, you may as well maximise the head-to-head bonuses.

My usual list:

Fenn Rau - Fearlessness, Concord Dawn Protector

Old Teroch - Veteran Instincts, Concord Dawn Protector

Ketsu Onyo - Veteran Instincts, Dengar

Racing to range one in arc and PS-deleting a target can be almost as useful as Autothrusters for survival in the long run.  Feel free to switch the Elite Talents out for Attanni if you'd prefer action economy.

6 minutes ago, Chibi-Nya said:

Well, it for sure is his best upgrade since it gives him R3 protection, leaving only R2 as vulnerability. Stealth Device would be second best in most cases.

Guidance Chips is good if you run ordnance on this guy, but dunno what the best missiles for him would be.

Cruisemissile could be a range 2-3 deterrent, maybe?

There are way too many turrets in the game right now not to take autothrusters. If your ship can take autothrusters, ya take autothrusters.

If you dont have the card, then like others have said, stealth device is a reasonable replacement.

2 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

Racing to range one in arc and PS-deleting a target can be almost as useful as Autothrusters for survival in the long run.  Feel free to switch the Elite Talents out for Attanni if you'd prefer action economy.

I like the idea of this, gambling on destroying ships for my own survival, all or nothing.

1 hour ago, ScummyRebel said:

Honestly, why don't you get a viper? It's a fun ship for casual play, gets you your AT cards, and there's a new aces pack coming this year with more viper goodies.

I think I will get one, I never bothered when it came out because "it didn't look a Star Wars enough" for me (a silly reason, I know). But that doesn't really bother me so much anymore.

2 hours ago, GreenDragoon said:

Cruisemissile could be a range 2-3 deterrent, maybe?

I might give this a go, Fenn has a straight 5 doesn't he? Could be a good opening salvo?

3 minutes ago, The Mighty Boushh said:

I like the idea of this, gambling on destroying ships for my own survival, all or nothing.

I think I will get one, I never bothered when it came out because "it didn't look a Star Wars enough" for me (a silly reason, I know). But that doesn't really bother me so much anymore.

I might give this a go, Fenn has a straight 5 doesn't he? Could be a good opening salvo?

If you opened with that salvo someone might get mad youre cheating though

3 minutes ago, The Mighty Boushh said:

Exactly my thought, and 4straight is even enough. But I just realized that he has torpedoes...

So maybe plasma to remove shields before the knifefighting?

1 hour ago, piznit said:

If you opened with that salvo someone might get mad youre cheating though

1 hour ago, GreenDragoon said:

Exactly my thought, and 4straight is even enough. But I just realized that he has torpedoes...

So maybe plasma to remove shields before the knifefighting?

Oh yeah, they would be right to think it was cheating! I play casual, but not that casual.

I still like the idea of using Fenn more offensively, so I will have a look at what would suit him for that tactic.

2 minutes ago, The Mighty Boushh said:

Oh yeah, they would be right to think it was cheating! I play casual, but not that casual.

I still like the idea of using Fenn more offensively, so I will have a look at what would suit him for that tactic.

Fearlessness, Stealth Device, and some sort of Ordnance. Just fly straight at your opponent using the Corcodant manuever thing where the wings spin and blast off! How this ship was meant to be played.

1 hour ago, The Mighty Boushh said:

I grew up with Shadows of the Empire during the time I really got into star wars, so the viper was really cool to me. It's all good.

The problem with cruise missiles is that Fenn doesn't have a missile slot. He has a torpedo slot.

CarnorJax will prefer Hull Upgrade over Autothrusters because he run VI. So no double action nor the possibility to turtle up with evade.

Fen Rau is similar. He doesn't have evade, so if I will not build him with AT, my best choice will be Hull Upgrade. Stealth Device is usefull only when you can turtle up so you becomes very difficult to hit once. But on Fenn, you will lost that upgrade fast.

I prefer HU over all.

I've seen a friend use him with Attani Mindlink (Push The Limit would work perfectly well too), Concord Dawn Protector, Advanced Proton Torpedoes and Guidance Chips

It's expensive, but......yeah. The synergy with Fenn's ability is scary.

If you can zoom into range 1, target lock some unsuspecting fool, and have a focus token from a like-minded friend, the result can essentially be described as "spontaneous existence failure"; with over a 99% chance of 6 hits and crits (minimum 1 crit), and one-shotting an intact medium-weight fighter like a Khiraxz or T-65 is perfectly feasible.

Theoretically, you could swap out for Fearlessness instead, for even more ridiculous damage potential, but that would leave you needing a way to get either a target lock or focus onto Fenn from elsewhere (doable but not as easy for scum - Mindlink aside - as for other factions; Manaroo, a Targeting Synchroniser Quadjumper, or a PS9 Khiraxz with XX-23 Thread Tracers spring to mind) or take a turn to set up.

Edited by Magnus Grendel

50 minutes ago, Magnus Grendel said:

I've seen a friend use him with Attani Mindlink (Push The Limit would work perfectly well too), Concord Dawn Protector, Advanced Proton Torpedoes and Guidance Chips

It's expensive, but......yeah. The synergy with Fenn's ability is scary.

I will definitely try this one, it looks like a lot of fun.