Mackaywarrior

Tips for flying a B-Wing

B-Wing? Just fly it straight at your opponents and tank damage. B-Wings are mathematically an efficient jousting machine, but don't maneuver well. 

Any chance I could beg you to reconsider and fly a Rookie Pilot X-Wing with a cheap droid and Integrated Astromech? Seeing Rookie Pilots hit the table warms my heart.

Also, in before someone posts whose avatar isn't on the cover of Edge of the Empire!:P

2 minutes ago, Kieransi said:

B-Wing? Just fly it straight at your opponents and tank damage. B-Wings are mathematically an efficient jousting machine, but don't maneuver well. 

Any chance I could beg you to reconsider and fly a Rookie Pilot X-Wing with a cheap droid and Integrated Astromech? Seeing Rookie Pilots hit the table warms my heart.

Also, in before someone posts whose avatar isn't on the cover of Edge of the Empire!:P

I've thought about it. Very very long. The list would be a XXXT list if I did. What I really wanted was a Red Squadron Pilot with R2-D6 and selflessness. 

6 minutes ago, Mackaywarrior said:

I've thought about it. Very very long. The list would be a XXXT list if I did. What I really wanted was a Red Squadron Pilot with R2-D6 and selflessness. 

I thought Red Squadron Pilots didn't have an EPT slot? That would be awesome though. 

Edited by Kieransi
Doh! These are not the droids you are looking for...

B-Wing would not be the ship I use to replace a TLT Y-wing who is offering some unique utility to that list to handle some matchups. Going full on Rebel 2013 joust party doesn't end well, I think. Maybe consider Ion Cannon turret to save points?

If you can get your opponent to bump and cluster all together then B-wing are great in that. Problem with B-wing they are as slow as a Quadjumper and though the 2k and 1 hards gives them some great knife-fighting movements the current meta with Jumpmasters and protectorates doesn't allow it.

Question is what role was the Y-wing TLT supposed to play? B-wings don't really fit very many rolls the Y-wing does. Maybe instead of B-wing you should go with K-wing but with autoblaster turret. If you want a 360 attack B-wing then Nera with torps and EM is the way to go but you only get 2 attacks and with Nera they do go fast, and you might be spending more points than TLT-wing.

4 hours ago, Icelom said:

Nothing wrong with the 22point naked b-wing... either it soaks up your enemy's red dice, or they repeatedly eat 3 damage red dice from 22 points of your list.

You would be surprised how valuable that can be on the board.

It may not be flashy but it still gets work done. 

3 hours ago, JediRush24 said:

And you can add collision detector because, ya know, 0 points ..

Yeah naked is a thing of the past now these days. Lets just call them in underwear. With all the 0 point upgrades running around there really is no reason to fly a naked ship other than you couldn't afford all the expansion packs for the 0 point upgrades.

No more streaking pilots, they all have to be in boxers at the minimum.

A FCS Bwing can make a great addition alongside a couple of higher priority targets. They will be able to deal out some consistent damage while your other targets take all the heat.

1 hour ago, Kdubb said:

A FCS Bwing can make a great addition alongside a couple of higher priority targets. They will be able to deal out some consistent damage while your other targets take all the heat.

FCS B-Wings are a classic combo, a simple classy ship :P definitely a decent choice.

what are my odds I can bring you over to team U-Wing? I love this ships and can never in good conscience make a rebel list without them.

6 minutes ago, Quadjumper King said:

FCS B-Wings are a classic combo, a simple classy ship :P definitely a decent choice.

what are my odds I can bring you over to team U-Wing? I love this ships and can never in good conscience make a rebel list without them.

I really struggle getting behind the Uwing. No true Kturn seems to be a huge detrement to the ship, which is so weird, because the Lambda has found plenty of valued uses at a similar cost and with a similar stat line. I just wonder if Rebels will need more crew that work well on it before it has its day.

9 hours ago, Mackaywarrior said:

I decided to invest 2 points elsewhere so I am dropping my Y-Wing with TLT from my list to add a naked B-Wing. Any tips?

What else is in your squad?

Even a cheap B-wing can still have use.

As noted, a slow, head-on jouster with no upgrades will generally get shot to snot; you haven't the speed to keep up with the fast turreted ships (lancers, scum - unhinged - Y-wings, punishing one, outrider and so on), and haven't the durability to take a torpedo-based or crack shot based alpha strike to the face.

That said, they aren't bad ships - their raw chassis is one of the more efficient ones, it just needs a little....garnish.

Tactics-wise; get in close. The B-wing remains one of the game's better knife fighters, with a decent slow dial, barrel roll, and durability built around shield tokens rather than green dice (which need action-generated tokens to deliver the goods). You'll still probably come off worst against a similarly priced Concord Dawn Protector, but they'll know they've been in a fight. The fact that even a fearlessness Fenn Rau or Talonbane, combined with barrel roll to reposition, can one-shot one gives them a potential utility as a blocker.

Collision Detector is a nice one, as mentioned, allowing you to barrel roll into debris and to not take damage from debris obstacles.

Depending on the pilot skills of the rest of your squad, a tractor beam for a single point might not be a bad call either; knocking down agility is nice, but in addition, small base, low agility ships are its ideal prey - K-wings, Scurrgs, etc - being able to mess with their positioning so you can concentrate your squad on them is fun, and if you can tractor them into their own *@~!!??! bomb tokens it's very satisfying.

Other options for a point; B-wing/E2 and a zero-point crew - Chopper causes self-damage, but sometimes you'll trade a shield for a shot you wouldn't otherwise get.

I'll be honest, I really, really think the best thing going for a generic B-wing is Fire Control System; but that uses up the two points you want to use.

Another point about a bwing that reaaaaly hurts it- you get in front of a large base ship that is moving after you and there is pretty much not a single maneuver it can do that is worthwhile. I've actually considered a bwing as a platform for Sabine for this very reason, since that would at least give me some type of bonus for when this situation occurs, but that's probably just a little too cute.

With a generic, true - the low speed k-turn is nice in a knife fight but not for dodging around big ships.

For more expensive types, Advanced Sensors is worth a look - its rare that you can't find a barrel roll one way or the other that'll help.

It depends greatly on the makeup of the rest of the squad - Is your B-wing needing to take pressure off of other pieces, or are other pieces taking the pressure off the b-wing?   B-wings can melt very quickly under heavy fire, 4 TLTs can kill one in a turn, and so can 2 fully modded torpedoes.   You can flank and bring it in to avoid the torp shots with split deployment, or delaying it from entering the fight.  Delaying it can help vs TLTs  as well,  or range control, to get a just outside of range 3 to inside range 1 jump - though the TLT player is more likely to turn out and make that tough...  still, if you're pointed head on at the TLTs and have ADV sensors - you can barrel roll and then do 4 straight...  if you're at an angle,  it's tough.   However, should the enemy be ignoring the plain old b-wing for other threats in your list, get that b-wing in there right away and start doing damage.  Ignored guns always do a ton of work while they can.  That's why I like rookie X-wings,  they're not seen as a threat and can punch while the enemy is distracted - B-wings fit that role too, but you have to be careful about their approach.  Range 3 vs primaries is fine, they like the extra agi...  Range 1 is fine, they have the health.   Range 2 is not so great,  range 3 vs secondaries is their weakest range band.

... you know, an XXXY list possibly has some merit. I mean, it's not going to go around obliterating the meta lists, but in a brighter, less-Jumpmastery world, a skilled flyer could wreak some amount of havoc.

Biggs Darklighter (25)
R4-D6 (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Tarn Mison (23)
M9-G8 (3)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Rookie Pilot (21)
R3-A2 (2)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Gold Squadron Pilot (18)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
R2 Astromech (1)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

You've got Biggs, a stressgun, a TLT, and a reasonably tanky finisher who acts as an accuracy boost to the TLT and/or the stress-craft until he starts getting shot at. It's very jousty, and the efficiency might not be top tier... but it's a pretty respectable toolbox, nonetheless.

Edited by Reiver

4 hours ago, Kdubb said:

I really struggle getting behind the Uwing. No true Kturn seems to be a huge detrement to the ship, which is so weird, because the Lambda has found plenty of valued uses at a similar cost and with a similar stat line. I just wonder if Rebels will need more crew that work well on it before it has its day.

Nah, he's less of a shuttle for me and far more of a Bumper.

heff Tober, Zeb, Boshek, choice of system upgrades, anti-pursuit lasers/ion projector and he bumps all day, slowing enemies and occasionally taking Cassian Andor if I'm feeling lucky :P

not so much of a shuttle as a way to hold my enemies in position for the rest of the list while still contributing.

The other flyers are Wedge Biggs and Rex. The Y-Wing was nice but I need Wedge to survive a little longer so I opted for R2-D2 PTL and Vectored Thrusters vs BB-8. The idea is to get Wedge some extra maneuverability to arc-dodge. I also thought about using R5-K6 and keeping the Y-Wing lol

Wedge Antilles (29)
Push the Limit (3)
R2-D2 (4)
Vectored Thrusters (2)

Biggs Darklighter (25)
R4-D6 (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Captain Rex (14)

Blue Squadron Pilot (22)

Total: 100

I should have prefaced this with the fact that this is for an Original Trilogy Tournament (no upgrade card bans)

Edited by Mackaywarrior