Sign in to follow this  
Cubanboy

Is something Big coming?

Happy Monday all,

I have a weird question and observation. Has anyone noticed that FFG is not releasing reprints to the printers. If you take a look at the page 1/2 of the X-wing ships are out of stock waiting waiting on reprints?

So could I ask if a major update is on the way. What if we got a new box that was just updated templates/dails/pilots that comes with 6 new bases per ship small and 3 new bases per large ship, along with updated texts for older upgrade cards which need new text added. (Fixes like new dails and atk dice for something like a Hwk with new pilot cards and adjusted ablities for ships Like Biggs and Mann) The fans would not need to buy new ships and there is enough templates for every list that is run within 100 point standard (accept 8 Z-95/Tie Fighters/M3a) for epic nab two boxes. The power of this is there are lots of upgrade cards that don't need fixed which work so it would not need to be everything.

If something like that happend and it was 49.99 I think that could fix a lot of problems with bring older ships inline with the power creep at a reasonable price and maybe something cool like a set of plastic templates as fan service. I know I would buy a 1.5 version update if it was reasonable. 

Edited by Cubanboy

Vagueness is the key to these topics.. 
I doubt FFG would charge that little for an X-Wing 1.5, at which point, they may have a hard time justifying not moving straight to 2.0. 

If your observation about the printer is true, though, that could be an indication that they have stopped investing in some of X-Wing 1.0. Time will tell -- or someone on the inside. Who knows a guy? 

Probably more wishful thinking on our part but...

IF they would ever release a 2.0 in a broader sense, then they'd definitely do that best before reprinting many soldout old ships.

But sadly that does not mean that the lack of reprints means we'll get the 2.0 soon

3 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

The Last Jedi Core Set, to be announced on Force Friday II on the 1st September.

Contents:  1 x T-70, 2 x TIE/fo's and updated rulebook and quick reference guide.

You heard it here first.

Good, FFG can have a fourth opportunity to release a T-70 without including a proper X-Wing fix!

This isn't new, many of them have been awaiting reprint for the best part of a year or more.  Financial decision that demand does not warrant a reprint?  Capacity at the factory unable to cope with new product demand as well as reprint old product?  Precursor for scrapping X-Wing?

Whatever the reason, you can rely on FFG to tell you nothing and let you live on in uncertainty.

If they do a Last Jedi core I'd love to see them flip the script instead of giving us a third box with 1 X-Wing and 2 TIEs. Why not Kylo's Interceptor and a pair of new A-Wings? 

I do think that there's something big coming for X-Wing. In past years they would have held wave 11 back for a big Gen Con release but they dropped it a month before, which means the only new X-Wing product releasing in Indy might be Guns for Hire. 

Probably Rune Wars and Destiny and L5R taking a big chunk of their productive capabilities.  X-Wing is a on a decline anyways, so it makes sense to focus productive efforts on newer games with more buzz.  Or maybe Asmodee slashed their production budget or resources or contracts.

Who knows?

At this point, though, I'd say FFG letting X-Wing run out is more likely than something big and new.  I mean, there aren't that many ships left, and what comes out now doesn't sell like Y-Wings and TIE fighters.  Plus, for the better part of four waves, it's pretty clear from these forums and tournaments that most players are unhappy with the game and the direction it's gone down.

26 minutes ago, Cubanboy said:

Happy Monday all,

I have a weird question and observation. Has anyone noticed that FFG is not releasing reprints to the printers. If you take a look at the page 1/2 of the X-wing ships are out of stock waiting waiting on reprints?

So could I ask if a major update is on the way. What if we got a new box that was just updated templates/dails/pilots that comes with 6 new bases per ship small and 3 new bases per large ship, along with updated texts for older upgrade cards which need new text added. (Fixes like new dails and atk dice for something like a Hwk with new pilot cards and adjusted ablities for ships Like Biggs and Mann) The fans would not need to buy new ships and there is enough templates for every list that is run within 100 point standard (accept 8 Z-95/Tie Fighters/M3a) for epic nab two boxes. The power of this is there are lots of upgrade cards that don't need fixed which work so it would not need to be everything.

If something like that happend and it was 49.99 I think that could fix a lot of problems with bring older ships inline with the power creep at a reasonable price and maybe something cool like a set of plastic templates as fan service. I know I would buy a 1.5 version update if it was reasonable. 

X wing 2.0. You'll see.

YOU'LL ALL SEE!

Fwiw, the Brazilian distributor for Xwing has recently-produced and "in the boat" raider, assault carrier and hound's tooth packs, along with wave 11 ships. 

We're still also missing localized releases for waves 8 and 9 as well as the corvette, aces and veterans, and the local distributor promises these are still coming. If that is true, it means ffg hasn't given up on manufacturing the minis for these specific products, at least.

Also, by all accounts XWTMG is still ffg's biggest cashcow, and I don't believe they'd let it die anytime soon (certainly not before ep 9 is out, at the very least) 

That said, we've seen guitar hero/rock band and Disney infinity go poof after overloading the market with plastic toys, so ffg need to be mindful of their release cycles. 

Edited by takfar

11 minutes ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

At this point, though, I'd say FFG letting X-Wing run out is more likely than something big and new.  I mean, there aren't that many ships left, and what comes out now doesn't sell like Y-Wings and TIE fighters.  Plus, for the better part of four waves, it's pretty clear from these forums and tournaments that most players are unhappy with the game and the direction it's gone down.

Of course I don't know their sales numbers, but jumping off the Starwars bandwagon right when it's picking up steam before Episode 8 and the Han Solo movie seems to be incredibly foolish.

13 minutes ago, Brianish said:

I'm guessing they're letting stock run down before Asmodee switches to a single distributor so they don't have to spend time and money reacquiring all the merchandise sitting in warehouses that are no longer licensed to distribute it.

Can you explain that some more?

Asmodee announced a few months back that they're planning to switch from multiple distributors to one. (Diamond, I think?) Presumably, that means there is a lot of stock out there in the hands of the other distributors they're currently contracted with. Rather than continuing to send them merchandise, which Asmodee would have to re-acquire once the contracts end, it might be easier to just let the stocks run down, and then reprint and ship everything once the new, single contract kicks in. 

Just guessing, but it would explain the lack of reprints with only the information we have available. 

Edit - Found the press relase. Exclusive contract is with Alliance. https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/65897/asmodee-north-america-go-exclusive-alliance-game-d

Edited by Brianish

5 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

Of course I don't know their sales numbers, but jumping off the Starwars bandwagon right when it's picking up steam before Episode 8 and the Han Solo movie seems to be incredibly foolish.

Well, they're not jumping off entirely.  I mean, Destiny is brand new and selling quite well (too well for them to keep it well-stocked, anyways). 

But X-Wing doesn't have any particularly big Star Wars bandwagon right now... I mean, Rebels is almost over (final season), and The Force Awakens is nearly two years old.  I don't think Episode 8 and "Unnamed Han Solo movie that's already gone through three directors and got snuffed at D23" being on the Horizon are creating more of a Star Wars general buzz than two years ago, on the even of TFA with the Rebels and Freemaker cartoons hitting up the kids at the sametime, plus things like Battlefront on the PC front.  The general public's buzz for Star Wars is certainly much less now than it was a year ago, I suspect, as people start to burn out on the hype and the over saturation.

But the X-Wing player base has dwindled drastically.  Competitively, lots of the biggest fanatics and names playing in the first three years of the game have long since moved on, and casually lots of folks who were dabbling in X-Wing have moved to Imperial Assault and Destiny and other new non-Star Wars games.  Ship releases are less iconic and flaws in the game's basic mechanics and designs are more hyper-analyzed than ever by the community, killing the buzz and excitement for new releases.  Stores used to have a really hard time keeping anything in stock during Waves 1-4, because new players were coming in and buying up all the available ships.  Now, with three factions and sixty products, stores have to keep a huge amount of bloated inventory on the shelves whereas the much rarer new player is only going to come in and buy a few of the expansions (assuming they buy Brick-n-Mortar at all).

Whether the game is growing or shrinking depends on:
(1) The rate of players leaving compared to the rate of new players joining
(2) How much of each new wave players buy now compared to an earlier wave

I don't have any numbers, but my anecdotal sense is that both (1) and (2) are decreasing.  Whether or not that means X-Wing is at risk of not being as financially viable for FFG is of course an entirely separate question, but it's one that is more concerning than if (1) and (2) were increasing.

10 minutes ago, Djaskim609 said:

Seriously, are we not doing phrasing anymore?

apparently, "that's what she said" is also dead

deader than "said the actress to the bishop..."

I mean... it really just depends on your age/pop-culture environment.

Edited by skotothalamos

1 hour ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

The Force Awakens is nearly two years old

You missed out Rogue One... and so did FFG.  They dropped the ball big time on that.  Perfect opportunity for additional Y-Wing (we still only have four Rebel pilots), X-Wing and TIE Fighter stuff wasted.  Don't get me wrong I love the Striker and the U-Wing looks great (but apparently doesn't fly great) but they could have made so much more of it.

X-Wing won't end :) It's the Age of Star Wars. There is a new Wars movie coming out every year, along with games, comics and books, and there has never been more consumers to buy all these things... Furthermore, unlike other similar franchises, Star Wars is a multi-generation thing. 3 Generations have their own Star Wars movies, and countless people grew up watching the movies. There isn't another geek culture... what geek culture, pop culture icon as Vader. He transcends that line, and if Disney understands one thing, is how to make popular characters with the new generation (Frozen anyone?)

Furthermore... Miniature Gaming is coming back big time. The new edition of 40k is a massive hit, players who have abandoned the hobby for decades are coming back to it. Age of Sigmar is also gaining popularity, and I see new faces in the FLGS I work at every week.

The previous waves might have been a bit lackluster, but don't you for a second think that X-Wing is going to end. Even if the competitive players and this forum has seen enough of the Jumpmaster, and is a bit fed up with FFG's lack of communication or slow process to fix problems... at the end of the day X-Wing is one of the most fun games I've ever played, and that feeling is still there in casual. (And the casual scene is much like an ocean... we can see very little of it, aside from the surface)

X-Wing won't end. If your source material is as gigantic, and popular as Star Wars, especially with younger audiences. I tell you, X-Wing is here to stay for a long time :)