taulover55

Fine lining

11 posts in this topic

I have a question for the hive mind.

What is best/ easiest in respect of Panel lining? I've tried an Ink wash and it hasn't worked well (used to work marvelously on my 40K stuff) I've heard good things about the Citadel Nuln Oil (don't own any yet but am not averse to buying some) but was wondering if fineline Copic markers (or similar) would work and what size tip is best? 

Do you guys wash then detail then drybrush or another way? 

I sometimes use pencil then clear coat of acrylic, but I wouldn't recommend it too highly, I just do it because it is easiest and I'm lazy.

Posted (edited)

I generaly do prime my imperial modles black which also serves as the black base coat.

Then I add junky detals of all kind like wing art, panels and the likes.

After doing the major base coats and details I simply use heavily thinned down paint (water+color) to do a general wash on almost the whole model. And maybe some basic pre-weathering.

I am thinking about getting some Nuln Oil myself to wash, cause I heard only good about it.

After washing I drybrush the whole model, exepct some details, in a subtly lighter base color tone.

When this is finished all the details get their respective highlighting either by directly painting it or drybrushing.

Then you would want to do the engine exhaust if you want to and the final highlighting and weathering.

When finished and satisfied with the result seal everything up.

This is how I prefere to do it, but maybe someone else does it differently.

Have fun!

EDIT: I do not have any experience with copic markers and the likes except that they tend to get a bit shiny or glossy when dried up. You wouldnt want that for dark areas that are in the shadows.

I read about useing pencils. The results realy look good. Ill definitely try that myself.

Edited by SOLAR FLARE

I tried a wide range of markers early on and found that they all dried up really quickly when writing onto nonporous surfaces like paint and varnish.  My latest projects have used Army Painter Strong Tone.  APply liberally, wait a few seconds, wipre with a piece of cotton cloth or kitchen towel.  It dinges up the top brights a little but it gets down into the crevices.

Cool thanks for the info guys. I may get some bulb oil then detail and highlight after. I currently Base my rebels white, then wash with a watered down foundation black wash, the dry brush some white over the panels. Might have a look at changing this up a little though 

I haven't done this myself and someone should correct me if this is wrong, but after your model is painted how you like it, you gloss coat it. Then apply your wash. It makes the wash slip into the fine lines more easily without darkening the other areas as much, as opposed to when you do it on a matte/flat surface. Another thing is it's easier to wipe off from the non-recessed surfaces. After that you seal it with a matte clear coat which makes it not glossy any more.

Again, I have not done this personally since I typically don't do fine lining on my ships, but there it is.

Stoneface likes this

@Force Majeure Should be about right, since gloss varnish creates a rather smooth surface. Otherwise it would not shine (reflection). Matt varnish creates a textured surface to break the light so it does not shine.

Seems logical to me to have better controll when washing.

Ill try that on my current project.

i was looking at testors clear coat the other day and havent used varnish or anything on my models before. may try that and see what happens. 

Posted (edited)

I do not know the one you mentioned.

I use Ferrario Varnish. Its acrylic varnish made for acrylic colors. So no bad surprises there 😉

It comes in glossy and matt.

Edited by SOLAR FLARE