Belamont

X-Wing Devs on Gamesutra twitch right now

Just now, Jeff Wilder said:

That's fair.  So somebody get organized to poll attendees of the SCs or smaller then.

I volunteer -- oh, let's just randomly pick -- Dee Yun.  Get on that, Dragon.

I'll volunteer Chris Allen.  He's not playing after the second round anyway, so he has plenty of free time to go around polling players.

Good games are good games whether played casually or not.

but I'm not going to worry about it.  With the way things are going, I simply do not feel I should buy a lot of what looks like is going to be released.  I'll stick to movie ships, mostly, and take a pass on the rest.  Maybe I'll change my mind if they can ever reel in the problems as they stand.

its fine, there are better games to play for balance and x-wing can stay as my pew pew space lasers without thinking too hard thing :)

49 minutes ago, Jeff Wilder said:

... But unless they're at a tournament, why's that matter?

It's like a beneficial Catch-22 ... you only must care about corrected text on cards if you play compeitively, and if you play competitively you almost certainly are already aware of corrected text on cards.

Nope.  Like I said above, I don't play competitively, but I do care about the real rules.  Now, if I think the Palps nerf was dumb or irrelevant and choose to ignore it, that's homebrew.  If I don't know it exists because all I have is an outdated card, that's a flaw in game design/redesign. 

16 minutes ago, KelRiever said:

I'll stick to movie ships, mostly, and take a pass on the rest.  Maybe I'll change my mind if they can ever reel in the problems as they stand.

In a certain way, this is where I am headed with this game.  The new waves may not give me new ships to care about, but they do give me new gear for old ships.  So, my OT-ship-based experience can still improve as the game grows.

22 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

Nope.  Like I said above, I don't play competitively, but I do care about the real rules.  Now, if I think the Palps nerf was dumb or irrelevant and choose to ignore it, that's homebrew.  If I don't know it exists because all I have is an outdated card, that's a flaw in game design/redesign. 

But that flaw existed up until that point anyways, and unless YOU saw that flaw as well, and were seeking out a source for its correction, it likely won't have any negative impact on your enjoyment of the game.

I think creating completely new cards instead of making additional card errata's is the right way to go.  The amount of FAQ memorization currently in the game is already pretty high.  It is fine for cards you use, but you also need to memorize the FAQ for all cards your opponents may ever use.  That is a bit rough if you never field them yourself with the current length of the FAQ.  Since X Wing doesn't cycle out old cards like a game like Magic does, the FAQ will just continue to grow regardless, so it is important to keep that growth to as slow a pace as possible. 

Even unpopular cards still occasionally appear due to point limitations or someone just trying to do something new with a card not many people see, so you still have to memorize everything. 

Edited by Joe Censored

1 hour ago, Velvetelvis said:

Dang I missed it. I hope it gets replayed.

I'd love to know why they stopped being careful about what comes into the game and just decided to double up on  bombing and Biggs.or why certain problems fail to get corrected.

You can watch it on the twitch channel.

1 hour ago, Joe Censored said:

I think creating completely new cards instead of making additional card errata's is the right way to go.  The amount of FAQ memorization currently in the game is already pretty high.  It is fine for cards you use, but you also need to memorize the FAQ for all cards your opponents may ever use.  That is a bit rough if you never field them yourself with the current length of the FAQ.  Since X Wing doesn't cycle out old cards like a game like Magic does, the FAQ will just continue to grow regardless, so it is important to keep that growth to as slow a pace as possible. 

Even unpopular cards still occasionally appear due to point limitations or someone just trying to do something new with a card not many people see, so you still have to memorize everything. 

1 hour ago, Kdubb said:

But that flaw existed up until that point anyways, and unless YOU saw that flaw as well, and were seeking out a source for its correction, it likely won't have any negative impact on your enjoyment of the game.

It won't have any impact if I don't mind the original card.  And ignorance is bliss.  But at this point we are walking pretty far away from the original point, which Joe summed up nicely: new cards printed correctly are superior to old cards errataed for clarity.

IMHO, the game is better off with old chaff cards and new viable cards instead all viable-but-inaccurate cards.

If you want a silver lining, look at dead cards as an archive of the game's development.  In 10 years, you can show noobs your cards and say "when I was a rookie, this card was awesome."

2 hours ago, VanderLegion said:

As I already pointed out, plenty of people aren't going to know about or have looked up the FAQ before they show up for a tournament for the first time.

Then their opponent can walk them through the changes, to help them become better players. If they don't know about the FAQ, then they probably won't know about the abilities from all the various ships they're going to be playing against that day. 

I mean, who shows up to their first tourney, doesn't know about the FAQ and errata, and still expects to perform strongly?

6 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

If you want a silver lining, look at dead cards as an archive of the game's development.  In 10 years, you can show noobs your cards and say "when I was a rookie, this card was awesome."

I appreciate your attempts to have me see a brighter side, but I could have done this even if it was erratad by showing them the pre-errata text. I want to be upset. Just let me be! :lol:

5 hours ago, Kdubb said:

I want to be upset. Just let me be! :lol:

As my wife would tell me in moments like this, "I don't wish you luck, but I guarantee your success."

Tissue? :P

3 hours ago, Blail Blerg said:

,,,,  so nobody asked why the jumpmaster is still overpowered??

Well, at least they publicly admitted it was a horrible gaff.

My guess is that they really can't fix it without changes to printed components (the dial and the pilot cards) which they are very reluctant to do.  Nor will they use the ban hammer (which, IMHO, is the best option).  So, they are just going to spend the rest of time trying to design around it, like Biggs.

Sadly, in both cases, I think further development of the game suffers from being unwilling to remove these elements from the game.  Even if they successfully bring the JM5K to heel, it is just as likely that eventually they will create an unforeseen card combo that sets the beast free again.

1 hour ago, Darth Meanie said:

As my wife would tell me in moments like this, "I don't wish you luck, but I guarantee your success."

Tissue? :P

Well, at least they publicly admitted it was a horrible gaff.

My guess is that they really can't fix it without changes to printed components (the dial and the pilot cards) which they are very reluctant to do.  Nor will they use the ban hammer (which, IMHO, is the best option).  So, they are just going to spend the rest of time trying to design around it, like Biggs.

Sadly, in both cases, I think further development of the game suffers from being unwilling to remove these elements from the game.  Even if they successfully bring the JM5K to heel, it is just as likely that eventually they will create an unforeseen card combo that sets the beast free again.

Doing it by never ending releases, of course, ends up with a same fundamental cause of the problem....that with the ever expanding variables of stuff out there, something becomes just as, if not more, broke.  That's why card packs is an answer.  So is banning.  The only reason neither of which is done, as far as I can tell for anyone is...more money.

Players readily admit to dropping $80 on an epic ship they can't use for a tournament, just to get some cards they can.  If someone told you they'd pay $80 for a $20 or less thing, you'd be dumb not to take it, right?  

It's an analogy, if you don't like it, fine.  But it applies here for me.

Basically, I agree Darth Meanie. 

20 minutes ago, KelRiever said:

Doing it by never ending releases, of course, ends up with a same fundamental cause of the problem....that with the ever expanding variables of stuff out there, something becomes just as, if not more, broke.  That's why card packs is an answer.  So is banning.  The only reason neither of which is done, as far as I can tell for anyone is...more money.

Players readily admit to dropping $80 on an epic ship they can't use for a tournament, just to get some cards they can.  If someone told you they'd pay $80 for a $20 or less thing, you'd be dumb not to take it, right?  

It's an analogy, if you don't like it, fine.  But it applies here for me.

Basically, I agree Darth Meanie. 

It has been stated that card-only packs are a non-option due to licensing agreements.  Which is fine; I'm cool with repaints.

As far as I'm concerned, everyone got into this game knowing it was collectible.  FFG is here to make money.  Grousing that you will need to spend more money to stay in the game is just ludicrous, IMHO.  After 2 decades of collectible games in the market, everyone knew what they were getting into when they bought this game. . .an optional hobby money-pit.

Banned ships don't become unusable, they just become casual-only.  Complaining that a ban would ruin your investment is short-sighted in that not banning could ruin the game and up-end your entire investment (and hobby to boot).

And as for cards tucked into Epics ships. . .well, I love Epic so it isn't a problem for me.  If you consider it a waste, it's because you haven't tabled your Huge ship to find out just how fun that part of XWM can be.

TL/DR:  If you like XWM, give FFG your money.  It's the only way the wheel keeps turning.

Edited by Darth Meanie

Eh to me FFG already overproduced this game for casual players who don't care about the rules.  I'd only feel compelled to keep buying the new stuff as a casual who cares about rules...if the rules kept up in a way and through a product that makes sense.

If the wheel stops spinning I'm more than fine with it.  Some of the best games are dead games because at least everyone knows nothing is coming out to screw it up further.  I'm not buying that C-ROC (pun intended?) or the next thing that looks like a flying brick, or more takes on the solar panel arrangement if I know this game isn't going to really address certain issues.

I'll save mah pennies!  Or more likely spend them on something else FFG does well.

Can't tell you how much enjoyment I still get out of Twilight Imperium.  No need to ever expand that amazing game again.

12 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

It has been stated that card-only packs are a non-option due to licensing agreements.  Which is fine; I'm cool with repaints.

That's a pity to not even have the option, officially. Nevertheless, I think that a fan-made set of patches for the less-used cards would be amazing. Just $5 of printing brings 100+ pilots and upgrades back into the fold. I'm going to get on that, actually.

Even if FFG simply revised older packs (like R2-F2 from the core set) to include new versions, I'd be down for that. Then, at least, new players can enjoy all of their purchases.