Sign in to follow this  
Willange

How to use Ankaur Maro as a solo hero?

I haven't figured out a good way to use him effectively yet.  W/O Viotlent Forces but with Regenerative Magic, his attack is pretty lackluster except on turns with 4 red runes.  Sure, he can add some trays, but often 1 or 2 trays doesn't seem that great when Ardus could have been mowing the lawn for me instead.  With Violent Forces but w/o Regenerative Magic, he just seems to drain him self too quickly and his attack is at best about the same as Kari's and some turns much worse (speaking only of the ranged attack).

It seems to me he is just more useful as an embedded hero.  Does that match what you guys find or am I just missing something?

Edited by Willange

I tried him once with Regenerative Magic. It wasn't great. Runes we're okay in. The beginning because it was Confluence of Magic scenario, but once we started picking up objective tokens to recast runes, he became less reliable. And one round I rolled 4 white dice for three blanks and a hit! Awful.

I want to try him out as an attacker with Violent Forces, not even worrying about his ability to add trays. He'd have Fortuna's Dice, and spam his double hit modifier to raise the enemy. I know he's squishy, so I'm considering Profane Banner Bearer on a nearby block of Reanimates.

I use him with regenerative magic and heart seeker.

I trail behind the reanimates and add trays as 2 runes are standard. On 2 or 4 red runes heart seeker allows you to shoot thru everything,  using a mortal wound on the 2ND dial and Rune golems or calvary get hurt bad. With regenerative magic ever surge is a wound healed. This will work till the enemy gets its own ranged attack, and fire runes hurt also.

i think using him as an offensive dakka-generation that tends to also beef up the meatshield (or boneshield) infront of him is about the only real use he is on his own.

That is, unless we find some really, really broken combo with Waiqar cards and some other faction unit.

27 minutes ago, Vineheart01 said:

i think using him as an offensive dakka-generation that tends to also beef up the meatshield (or boneshield) infront of him is about the only real use he is on his own.

That is, unless we find some really, really broken combo with Waiqar cards and some other faction unit.

Combat Ingenuity on Oathsworn Cavalry for inspire spam.... without moment of inspiration... yeah nope, still looking.

2 hours ago, Jukey said:

I ran two games with his stand alone form, both were disappointing. Taking Ardus and embedding maro in a 2x2 of reanimates is a much better use of 46 points.

This how I've been running him.  He usually gets at least 6 trays up in a game. Acts as a good flank protector or counter charger.  I add trumpets and blighted vellum. 51 pts. 

I like running him with Fortuna's Dice and Violent Forces, near a Reanimate unit with Executioner.

You always have at least one attack die, and you can guarantee an accuracy on your shot with a mortal strike dialed in.

Boom goes FL Rune Golems and embedded Kari or Hawthorne.

Edited by Tvayumat

22 hours ago, Tvayumat said:

I like running him with Fortuna's Dice and Violent Forces, near a Reanimate unit with Executioner.

You always have at least one attack die, and you can guarantee an accuracy on your shot with a mortal strike dialed in.

Boom goes FL Rune Golems and embedded Kari or Hawthorne.

This. I haven't played it yet, but it is in my 1st draft list for a tournament coming up soon. I'm also pairing it with Front Line Carrion Lancer, File Leader, and Blighted Vexillum Bearer block that I'm determined to prove is hella effective.

+1 to violent forces and dice. His red modifiers are fantastic and being able to set your white dice makes him into a master of ranged combat. It isn't worth bringing back trays when running him like this because he will go down way too quickly.

On 2017-07-14 at 11:36 PM, toriano said:

Set him with regenerative magic and next to Ardoux and...

Tachan!!! Ardoux is healing one wound per surge. That is not scrap

I'm not sure how that is how it works, the community seems divided whether this and Combat Ingenuity actually benefits Ardus:

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/249286-combat-ingenuity-and-ardus/

On 2017-07-15 at 10:24 PM, oda204 said:

This. I haven't played it yet, but it is in my 1st draft list for a tournament coming up soon. I'm also pairing it with Front Line Carrion Lancer, File Leader, and Blighted Vexillum Bearer block that I'm determined to prove is hella effective.

I'm wondering if this block would be trying to do too many things and some points should be spent elsewhere? Won't File Leader be hard to pull off in a reanimate block due to it's relatively high initiative? As enemy I would not charge into that if I could avoid it just by waiting until I became first player and then would act first at an initiative 4 charge. I think that a good opponent could avoid File Leader at initiative 4 to trigger at all thus wasting the points. Maybe it's more efficient with something else (like Moment of Inspiration for the extra surges) in a Mortal strike tactic or Raven Standard Bearer (rather than BVB) in a "first strike" tactic (with File Leader) because you would get initiative 3 which is pretty much impossible to avoid when charging? Also in the first strike tactic maybe a support lancer is better due to matching the attack with a spit modifier (which would go off even if the charge never comes instead of a total fizzle in a standoff).

Other benefits of these (RSB & S.C.L) are that you hit first in ongoing close combat when First player and the spitting attracts attacks which makes File leader unites less prone to being avoided/circumvated.

Edited by Maktorius
Corrected cellphone typing error

File leader makes you change your thinking. Sure, you can charge at Init4 and negate it, but i'll just keep you at a distance away to ensure you CANT use init4 charge. When im playing this block, I almost never use any movement besides the green shift. I force my opponent to play on my terms.

It pairs really well with Death Knights to pressure ranged units.

Yeah even if File Leader can be played around, it forces the enemy to be more careful in their approach. Considering how bad the Reanimate's dial is, anything that prevents the enemy from moving freely and engaging on their terms is useful. Besides, if they're charging you before initiative 4, that means you still get to attack them when you reveal your dial.

On 2017-07-17 at 9:42 PM, Bhelliom said:

Yeah even if File Leader can be played around, it forces the enemy to be more careful in their approach. Considering how bad the Reanimate's dial is, anything that prevents the enemy from moving freely and engaging on their terms is useful. Besides, if they're charging you before initiative 4, that means you still get to attack them when you reveal your dial.

I'm just observing that it's quite a lot of points for something that can be easily played around, but hey, I have not tried it and might be wrong. 

I'm inclined to want the reanimates engaged quickly due to their regeneration ability and lack of useful stuff to do when not engaged. Though I would agree that if they are having a standoff with a more expensive unit that would be useful, however I doubt that is often the case with that loadout. I find them to be a god anvil to use for getting flanking (hammering?) opportunities for the Lancers and Ardus, whom I do not want the enemy to go for directly.